emmelinewe

POLL: Barn conversion - dream or nightmare?

Emmeline Westin
8 years ago

Last year when we launched Houzz UK we asked UK Houzzers to name their dream home, the majority confessed they would love a Georgian mansion!

So we know Georgian mansions are popular, but how do you feel about a barn conversion? Let us know below!

Barn Lounge with Log Stack · More Info

Dream!
Nightmare!
Other - tell us below!

Comments (44)

• Najeebah
    8 years ago
    yesss any day! I love barns; converted or not
  • ash4711
    8 years ago

They always look like glorified sheds to me and who gets the cobwebs or changes a bulb on those high ceilings?

• PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago

I'd love to visit but not to live on one. I am not a huge fan of all the exposed old wood and beams. I think it's gorgeous, and like I said would happily stay there on a holiday but it wouldn't be my dream home. Elements I love are the height/space and natural features like exposed walls, the stories embodied in the walls in the form of marks and grounded energy etc. Saying that, if you gave me one I wouldn't say no and would find a way to may it work. I love the conversions that go with the personality of a barn and make it very natural and organic rather than those that just try to modernise and make lots of flat straight walls and cover up the naturalness of the space.

• Emmeline Westin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Bazeley - What a beauty!

• PRO
    Kernow Fires and Biomass
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We love Barn conversions and we seen some spectacular results, including the beautiful one posted above by The Bazeley Partnership.

Below this barn conversion at Mesmear, a luxury holiday home complex in Cornwall makes the most of the beautiful beams in this large converted barn. Scan DSA 5 fireplace at Mesmear

Scan DSA · More Info

• PRO
    Louise Richardson-Vine
    8 years ago

Love a barn conversion! But imagine it might be quite a mission to actually convert one.

• Sonia Goul-Wheeker
    8 years ago

I've seen some beautiful ones owned by friends which have so much character and gorgeous exposed beams so have to say I'm a fan!

• alant1000
    8 years ago
    I'd love to live in a barn conversion, it's a close first place draw with a church conversion (the alter would be the kitchen island).

I can't recall seeing a badly done barn, they always just seem to end up fantastic.
  • pavinia
    8 years ago

The open spaces, exposed beams and high ceilings - I'm a huge barn conversion fan!

• Ian Stephenson
    8 years ago

Most definitely, I stayed in an amazing barn conversion called Tiphayes on the Devon and Somerset border. A project for a few years time.

Traditional barn wooden beams · More Info

• PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    8 years ago

Barn conversions have one obvious advantage over many homes - huge high ceilings, and usually plenty of space. No wonder "dream" is well in front.

• rabbitingon
    8 years ago
    Love the look, but would worry about practicalities of all the heat rising to the high ceilings in winter, and how to clean the cobwebs/dust from high beams
  • PRO
    4D Planning
    8 years ago

Looks great but fire risk is a huge concern especially with timber structures. Always ensure that the build fully complies with the Building Regulations.

• User
    8 years ago
    ...we are in the process of planning our barn conversion and selling our Georgian farmhouse to fund it and our retirement...
  • Jonathan
    8 years ago
    Often developers put a modern home inside an older building and the proportions are lost- worse still they then add extra beams to low rooms to give the look of a themed pub.
    For me conversions are always better when money dictates fewer of the decisions. For me conversion success comes from reading the space well.
  • angelboyman
    8 years ago
    Not for me. Barn conversions usually mean you're sharing your space with other converted barns close by or the farm house and the outdoor space is usually limited. They're limited on the windows and other openings that are restricted to the original openings, which being barns is usually tiny Windows and a huge door opening. Most of the internals are predictably the same, double height spaces with galleried landings and there always seems to a need to show the original beams, trusses and stone walls. Nah, I'll stick with the Georgian mansion thanks!!!
  • PRO
    Somax Kitchens
    8 years ago
    They can be a dream, so long as the planners allow you to make them relevant for human habitation. A good architect/interior designer will be able to release the potential and they look best when a mixture of rustic stone and timbers and contemporary architecture are used together.
  • rozelliott
    8 years ago

We lived in a converted barn 20 years ago - so exciting and we were able to influence the interior layout which was great. BUT this living space always felt like a compromise! The barn was long and narrow which meant that some rooms acted as a corridor. We were limited on window sizes due to planners preference to retain the look of the barn. We then had huge Windows where the barn openings had been. These were awkward to clean, heat and curtain! Our barn was adjoined by another barn conversion that made it difficult to resell because effectively we were a "semi"! Our bedrooms were smaller than we would have liked due to space restrictions. We had private drainage for the development which was inadequate, liquid propane gas that was expensive, and constant problems with vermin who had been using our property for shelter when it became cold or wet!!

We would look very, very closely at more practical aspects of every day life if we ever came across another barn conversion. Don't get swept away with the views, charm, stone walls, beams, and other features like we did!!!

• PRO
    Peter Dickinson Architects
    8 years ago

Barn conversions can be fantastic but require a notable amount of thought and work, from planning through to structural concerns and responding to the inevitable site and building issues that will occur. As shown here though, the end result can be breathtaking and is worth the risk for those brave enough!

• PRO
    Concept Builders Surrey Ltd
    8 years ago

Barn conversion could be a Great opportunity to materialize your dreams!

• PRO
    Worthcarpentryltd
    8 years ago

good quality work

• PRO
    DV Architects
    8 years ago

Love a Barn Conversion

• PRO
    Porcupine Design
    8 years ago

Barn conversions are great opportunity for an open plan custom interior.

• PRO
    Redwood Home Improvements Ltd
    8 years ago

Barn conversions are beautiful finished but some can be very challenging, its a great achievement when completed

• PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    8 years ago

It is interesting to read the dream comments, but then we get an in-depth view from rozelliott who has actually lived in one for 20 years, and dreams seem to be just that - dreams from afar. We all have ideas of how we would love to live, but reality checks in and all is not as it seems. We rented an original Tudor house whilst our 2 flats were being converted into one, and although from an outward appearance it looked great to everyone else, it was a nightmare to actually live there.

• PRO
    Redwood Home Improvements Ltd
    8 years ago

Completing one as a contractor is very rewarding but as many would say it does't feel like a home. It's all down to layout and design, many do go for open plan and high ceilings to show off features, nice to look at but not very homely.

• PRO
    KLH Architects
    8 years ago

There are some fantastic relics out there waiting to be brought back to life!

• PRO
    James Franklin Furniture (Made in England)
    8 years ago

Dream barn conversion completed with the dream furniture.

Quercus Solid Oak Bed | Oak Wardrobe | Oak Bedside · More Info

• PRO
    Rennew Traditional Building Materials
    8 years ago

A lot of our wooden beams and natural stone are used for barn conversions projects, so naturally we're going with dream on this one. Although a lot of planning is involved and you may uncover further unexpected costs past completion, as seen in this example the end result can be breathtaking!

• PRO
    Arc Architects
    8 years ago

Nice image

• PRO
    Julie Poulter Interior Design (JPID)
    8 years ago

Lindrick Farm, Tickhill, Doncaster · More Info

Here at Julie Poulter Design we love working with our clients on their dream barn conversions, each building brings its own unique story and developing that into the clients future home is what drives us forward.
    Lindrick Farm, Tickhill, Doncaster · More Info

• PRO
    Forrester Associates
    8 years ago

We often deal with barn conversions, but they aren't always this bright and open! Very nice.

• PRO
    2030 Architects
    8 years ago

lovely photo!

• PRO
    Steve Burland Architecture
    7 years ago

Barns offer such great spaces

• PRO
    CHORA Design Studio
    7 years ago

Beautiful design!

• PRO
    Design by Rees
    7 years ago

Wonderful projects that generate endless possibilities.

• PRO
    Blueprint Architectural Design Ltd
    7 years ago

We love them!

• PRO
    Franklin Signs Ltd.
    7 years ago

a nightmare to do but a dream to live in !!

• PRO
    Architectonicus
    7 years ago

Barn conversions that embrace their location, the solar arc, the seasons, and link their past with heartfelt, well considered modern design make some of the best dwelling places.

• PRO
    Ed Hollway Architect
    7 years ago

Fab interior

• PRO
    Clifton Design & Installation Ltd
    7 years ago

Far better to convert an old building than build a new one with no character

• PRO
    Philip Best Design Ltd.
    7 years ago

barn conversions

• Daisy England
    7 years ago
    Draughty old places.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.