Houzz Logo Print
olivia_danae

Potential Kitchen Island

10 years ago

I am looking to see if I even have the room or the $ to put an island in my kitchen. I currently have a large peninsula which includes my sink and dishwasher. I would want my new island to also include the sink and dishwasher. My biggest dilemma is the potential cost because my house is on a concrete slab, so in order to install the plumbing/electrical, we would need to put the pipes and wires in the concrete floor. I would be building my own island (not an expert carpenter, but have built several other things in my house including my kitchen table) and would only need a plumber/electrician, so I am hoping that will dramatically cut down on cost. We have an open floor plan so the "bottom" of the posted picture actually isn't a wall but rather opens up into my living room with no wall obstructions. I have designed (relatively accurate) sketches of my current kitchen and my design idea for an island. If anyone has any help or advice on this potential project it would be really appreciated! Like I said, this is just a design in my head--we aren't sure if this is something we really want to/can do in our kitchen.

Current Kitchen below:

Dream Kitchen w/Island below:


Comments (10)