webuser_177381826

Help and Advice needed for potential renovation

Rachael K
3 years ago

Seriously considering buying this 4 bed 1960s bungalow. It would allow us to buy in an area we wouldn’t otherwise be able to afford.

It’s definitely a project. It would need re-wiring and a complete overhaul including new windows and doors. We’ve never done any renovation so need advice about what would be feasible and likely costs.

In an ideal world we would want to have a master bedroom with en-suite plus an additional 3 double bedrooms. Would live A large open plan kitchen/ diner family room and a separate snug room. A separate utility room off the kitchen would also be ideal.

The house has lots of room to extend into the garden ( side which dining room and bedrooms face).

Looking for ideas, advice about what would be possible and likely costs. Could it be done in stages? Would putting an en-suite in be possible given the 1960s house has a concrete floor?!

Comments (7)

• PRO
    The Kitchen Lady UK
    3 years ago

Hi Rachael,

How exciting! There is lots of space so plenty of opportunities to make it your dream home. For the kitchen/diner, the obvious solution would be to knock the kitchen wall down and then have a wow kitchen with large island down the centre of the room and dining and casual seating by the garden. The current dining room then becomes the snug.

Bedroom 2 looks like the best candidate for putting in an ensuite as the toilet sewage is nearby, as is the water etc. If you wanted a bigger room, you could always look at moving the hallway down to pinch more space but it is all budget dependant. If you wanted bigger plans (more money) you could turn the bathroom into the ensuite and put the family bathroom in the smallest bedroom opposite, then adding another bedroom perhaps via extension or commandeering the sitting room.

the garage looks like a great place for a utility room and can be as simple as plumbing them in, to full conversion of an area to make a full room.

I'm happy to help further if you do go ahead, Good luck! 🤞

Emily x

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

As far as budget goes I would do some online cost searches- building Sheriff is a great online resource for working out the cost of particular jobs.
    I would look at all the finishing jobs to make it comfortable and the amount of money you have left is the money available for a builder.... you can also then calculate the square footage that buys.
    I would budget £8000 electrics, £6000 heating, £18000 windows, £23000 for bathrooms, £30,000 for kitchen, £20,000 flooring, £7000 window treatments, £6000 decorator, £9,000 new drive, £15,000 patio.
    Of course these prices can vary massively so you should do your own research.
    Assuming there is remaining money for an extension I notice the hall window near the main bedroom- this is a 1960s architecture trick for future proofing houses and this was likely designed to be a possible door to an extension.
    The garage might offer a cost effective place to extend too

• Rachael K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Many thanks for your help. Unfortunately the house can’t be extended from the window near the main bedroom as this looks out to driveway. The house can only be extended in the opposite direction.

Realistically we will have to do things in stages. Does it make sense to do re-wiring, windows and heating together if we are then going to knock down walls/ extend at a later date?

• Brian Pert
    3 years ago

To ascertain the possibilities regarding the locating of new drained appliances, it is necessary to determine the levels of the drains and the positions of the Inspection chambers ( formerly called manholes). By lifting the cover of these Inspection chambers, you can then measure the drain depth. PertProjectDesign

• reto6004
    3 years ago

In order to be able to carry out the conversion in phases, it is necessary to know the final expansion for the first time. Only then is it possible to discuss which work can be carried out in which phase. For example, if you renew all windows and want to use another window in a later phase, it is already questionable whether you can still buy the same model. So create a master plan for the first time and keep an eye on what needs you will have for the house in ten years. It is important to maintain the structure of the house, especially the foundation and roof (should definitely be phase 1). If you are happy with the planning, divide the end goal into phases that you can handle. Good luck and success for your project.

• Artistic Interiors
    3 years ago

Hi Rachael,

This may or may not be something you considered. In our area, we've had a number of bungalows put dormers in to become chalet bungalows and we've even had a few of the detached bungalows add on another floor and become a 2 & even 3 story home. Renovations - like £50K-£100K average for a loft conversion are easier on costings depending on footage, spec & if there will bathrooms. However I've never worked on a complete story addition, so would only be a guess of £75K +++, if very frugal - (may be able to get it that low with simple layout - but would think with your footprint size, would be more than £75k - would just have to get some quotes).

You will have to check the head height of your loft space for a loft conversion and seek planning permission for either of the above.

Either option would give you a massive extension to the property and allow you do more with your downstairs.

If you are looking for a low-cost (relatively - as still updating bathrooms & getting new kitchen) practical option -

• knock through the current Dining Room & Reception Room to make one open-plan space housing kit - diner - lounge (lounge at front of reception, dining at back of reception, & kit in dining room).
    • Add larger glass wall & doors, sliding doors or concertina to back of current Reception Room to open into garden.
    • Convert current Kitchen into TV snug / 2nd reception
    • Use one of the bedrooms as an office if you are able
    • Add an ensuite shower to the last back bedroom (just enough room for this)
    • Do any aesthetic updates & decorating to house & current bathrooms.

OR

If you don't want to keep the garage:

• Knock the Garage, Kit & Reception Room into one large open plan, triple aspect space or just Garage & Reception Room (keeping kit as a snug) ... have large kit - dining - lounge area with great views all around and glass access into the garden
    • Use the Dining area as office or 2nd reception / snug
    • Use one of bedrooms as office if you need to and are able
    • Add ensuite shower to the last back bedroom
    • Update bathrooms, decorating & aesthetics of home

Good luck & best wishes!

• PRO
    Nest Estimating Ltd
    3 years ago

Hi Rachael. We can give you an estimate. Contact us https://www.nestestimating.co.uk/

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.