tward_uk

Upstairs layout

Teresa Ward
6 years ago
Hi all,

We're new to Houzz - enjoying looking at all the inspiration already!

We have just had an offer accepted on a house (yay!) and now have a lot of thinking to do!! It's a Victorian terrace with the stairs between the front and back rooms. Upstairs currently 2 bed layout with a huge bathroom (used to be a bedroom I presume) accessed from the 2nd bedroom only. We're planning on extending downstairs hopefully a side return and knock through from dining room to make a big back extension.

We're keen to change the layout of the upstairs, options we've considered so far are flipping the stairs 180 degrees and putting in stud walls to create a hallway and separate access to the bathroom. Stairs would then be accessed from the dining room which I'm not sure about.

I would LOVE to move the stairs 90 degrees so they are along the side wall but we know this could be more expensive depending on the direction of the joists - something we will be looking into.

Just wondered if anyone has done this already or can make any other suggestions as to best use of space? We would love to squeeze a 3rd bedroom out of the 3rd floor somehow seeing as the bathroom is so big!

Any suggestions very welcome!
Thanks

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.