Too much faff and expense? Opening kitchen up & moving bathroom U/stai
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (9)
Related Discussions
What do you think of open plan bathrooms?
Comments (65)I'm looking to renovate the ensuite of my 2 bed flat and came across photos of open plan bathrooms. Some of the photos look great and I'm considering it as I don't have much room to work with in the bathroom and my bedroom has room I can use. I'm looking at moving the basin into the bedroom area, which would free up space for a bath and shower. I was thinking of making the basin look less bathroom-y and more like a makeup desk using wood and soft furnishing and a full length mirror. The rest of the bathroom would be behind a wall (no door). Main problem is that the door to the bedroom will open to the the basin (the rest of the bedroom is on the left), which I guess would put people off. I quite like the idea but I'm concerned it would put off potential buyers (more so after reading the comments). Should I stick with a traditional ensuite? I can put a bath and shower in there but I think it would be too cramped or I can loose the bath and have more room with just a shower. What do you think?...See MoreUrgent bathroom advice needed, is this vanity too long?
Comments (15)Hi Jen, good idea re the laundry - it would nicely "segregate" that functional space and open up all the rest as bathroom space. If you go that route, just check with a plumber that you don't cause any knock on issues with running a soil pipe from the back of the WC to the main soil stack (you really don't want those issues!!), and then make sure you do it in a way that doesn't lose light from that window. Regarding custom mirrors - the cheapest way is to get a local glazier to quote to make and install. Assuming it is just a single plain sheet you are looking for, the cost should not be too bad at all. Definitely get the glazier to install - it pays to leave the risk on their side, and they are experienced in handling the material. I've had a few bespoke glass splashbacks go "pop" on me, and there are few worse feelings... For what is a relatively piece of glass, make sure that there are no access issues to get it into the room (awkward bends round stairs or the like), or consider doing it in a couple of pieces. And if you are concerned about getting the best price, ask a couple of people to quote and look online too. And don't be afraid to haggle nicely - any glazier will try and squeeze a little extra margin if they can, so try and get it back! Try the online pricing tool at mirrorfit.co.uk for a quick feel of cost, or any of the other tools online....See MoreRelocating bathroom door or entire bathroom and kitchen
Comments (22)Thanks for all the great ideas guys! Just had the builder to view the flat and here are some updates: builder said the soil pipe seems to be straight down, but could install a pump to flush it; although the estate agent said the pipe goes from external wall at the back of the flat. Not exactly sure who is correct. the budget is likely to go between 30k-35k. I also had a measure of the current bathroom dimension which is 1.67*2.13m. and the ceiling height is 2.56m. we'll probably change the bedroom wardrobe and free up some space as well......See MoreChoice of big bathroom, 3 bedrooms or tiny bathroom, 4 bedrooms.
Comments (13)If you intend staying here for a decade then you should make this house work for you and not the next people. I think that since you have already flagged extending in 10 years you should also future proof your plans now. If it were me I would have a bedroom where the current big bathroom is in order to give you the possibility of later extending over the ground floor extension. I would also want a super sized bathroom for my use - I have always believe the person paying the mortgage should have a better bathroom than people who visit three times a year. And I would take the view that when a loft bedroom is later added it won’t matter if one of the four bedrooms is compact. So I offer an alternative....See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago







temple274