george_p98

Choice of big bathroom, 3 bedrooms or tiny bathroom, 4 bedrooms.

George P
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hellooo

My wife and I just purchased a major do-er upper. Its a 3 bed house from 1920-30s in South Wales.

The house needs a bunch of structural work, installation of central heating, damproofing, new roof on the rear extension, new kitchen and total redecoration among other things.

We keep getting caught up with our floor plan though.. going round and round in circles. Now we need to finalise our plan and get the builders in.

The main decision that has us scratching our heads regards the upstairs. There is master bedroom, bedrooms 2 and 3, a shower room and a overly large bathroom, all accessible from the landing.

We intend on converting part of the shower room into an ensuite to the master bedroom. The choice that we've narrowed it down to then is either slightly extending the remaining area that used to be the shower room and making that a very compact family bathroom. Just enough room for toilet, basin and bath, then converting the generous bathroom to be a fourth bedroom (likely used as a study in the short term). This first option also infringes on more landing space. Versus, we keep the family bathroom large and beautiful, our ensuite becomes slightly larger and we use the remainder of the old shower room as storage for towels, sheets and all that good stuff. The added room in the main bathroom would be excellent for providing some further storage

We have considered carving an ensuite out of the footprint of the master bedroom itself but we really value the space that bedroom currently provides highly.

Overall with our day to day lives and how we see our lives changing over the next ten years, we think having 3 bedrooms, large family bathroom, ensuite and more storage will suit us better. The roof will need replacing in 10 years at which point we'll plan to go into the loft for the 4th bedroom.

However we are concerned that using all that space for a family bathroom is a bit wasteful and would devalue the property relatively speaking.

We'd be very interested to hear your thoughts!

Please see drawings and photos below.

Thank you for reading

TL;DR = likely impact of value of house between these designs.

The house.

The shower room

The bathroom

Existing upstairs

Proposed with compact family bathroom and ensuite to master

(Ok we haven't finished this drawing) but the idea we are leaning towards now -

Carving out plan that we feel reduces size of bedroom too much

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.