tommyflan

What do you think of open plan bathrooms?

Tom Flanagan
8 years ago

There's no question that open plan is an incredibly popular choice when it comes to kitchen and dining areas, but does the same rule apply to bathrooms?

A little exposed or a little bit luxurious, what do you think of open plan bathrooms? Leave us a comment below!

Kennington · More Info

Comments (65)

• PRO
    Tugman Studio
    8 years ago

Interesting all the negative comments about open plan bathrooms - and yet the boutique hotels (such as Babbington House and Hotel du Vin) that to a large extent introduced the country to the idea of breaking down the barriers between bedroom/en-suite are hugely popular.

• 5tallgirl3
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I know them well. But hotel life is temporary, we're discussing real life here.

• Related Discussions

what do you think of my new plan?

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi. I recognised the floor plan so looked at your previous posts. You mention converting the garage to a spare room so it might make sense to have room 2 as the shower room but where are the utilities as they can be costly to move? I can also see another post mentioning an extension of 6x4, is that correct? It would help if you could add measurements of all rooms (you can’t read anything on the one posted) and an upstairs plan. I think finally more details are needed. How many are in your family, are you keen cooks? If you have children, what age etc. Do they need a study area? What music do you play? Do you entertain, if so how many etc. Personally I’d put the kitchen and dining out the back, with utility cupboards in room 1 keeping a door to the kitchen so you can see from the front door to the garden. Kitchen on left wall with a peninsula in front with a floor to ceiling window in between the units and dining on the rhs. Having said that I’m useless at planning so I’d engage OnePlan to look at the entire floor space, a little money spent now could avoid costly mistakes and have a home that works for you!
    ...See More

What do you think about concrete bathroom and kitchen?

Q

Comments (5)
    Hello Pelagia, I must say I love concrete and it works in both kitchens and bathrooms beautifully! Textured or smooth. Plaster too is an absolute favourite as is terrazzo and all would work together. I would like to suggest these ideas which I think compliment. The other thing of course is to consider how you can carry concrete throughout to create a seamless home. So it forms a coherent material language if you will. It doesn't have to be in large ways it could be in the form of accessories, for example. This first image is mine and includes walls, flooring and worktop to compliment what is actually brass cabinetry with some mid century brass table/chairs and Murano glass. The idea behind it is to create a room in its own right. That is less "kitcheny" in visual appearance and more a functioning beautiful space that you could entertain in as much as you could cook in. Size being key here, of course. You could add concrete shelving etc but I have left the scheme as is to fit the aesthetic. This is just one half of a much larger room but you get the idea. This second I found on the web. I am not partial to mirrored cabinetry but the bathroom has lovely qualities which I think compliment my kitchen design. Some ideas for you to consider. Beautiful accessories and natural earthy elements compliment wonderfully as do a mix of materials, wood, slate and stone. Either way, enjoy what you decide. AJ
    ...See More

Rate my Renovation Plan...what do you think? Virtual 3D Walkthrough

Q

Comments (2)
    Lovely kitchen/dining/seating area. I’m sure someone on here will say the sink needs to be 0.25mm to the left 😊 but I’d be very happy to live there. I liked the outdoor seating area too. Once we left that room I got a bit lost. Not sure what the room with all the shelving is - utility? And the video went very dark in the red room, is that a garage? However, despite that you should be very pleased with yourself! 👏👏👏
    ...See More

Keeping 1960s bathroom - what do you think?

Q

Comments (11)
    That sort of colour and style was very popular in the 1980s. We installed a sage green one in 1985. It never looked fresh and the colour was light sapping. It has now gone to the 1980s bathroom graveyard in the sky! I personally would smash it. It really has no redeeming features 😂 There are some beautiful, simple bathrooms that you could emulate. Where exactly have you been looking? Look at some photos on Houzz and Pinterest to give you some inspiration.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago

Architect Your Home I totally agree with tallgirl5 ... fine for a short stay and a bit of novelty but not for everyday. Actually I would never want a toilet in my bedroom in a hotel either!! Calling it open plan doesn't change that. Why would you!!?

• credz4
    8 years ago

I can't even get from the bathroom to the bedroom without the neighbours being able to see through the window and this irritates the life out of me. Too much of your life today is overlooked and 'looked into' CCTV, facebook, aerial satellites taking pics of celebrities, google earth showing your house (my bathroom even made it to google earth). People are too quick to eradicate privacy for the sake of showing off and a style that will likely not stay the course. I stayed in a 'bath in the bedroom' hotel, it looked a talking point, it came with taps, towel rail, towels, hooks and steam and it was the worst night sleep I had in ages. There are TVs, laptops, wardrobes, beds and chairs in a bedroom this is clutter enough and so not conducive to good rest. Essentially we could knock all house walls down and just throw everything in together but why don't we? I think a good bathroom should be a place for a quick scrub or a luxurious soak away from the world, its another room to add dimension to a house. If you just happen to want to talk to your wife then just leave the door open at least with a door you have that option.

• PRO
    50 Degrees North Architects
    8 years ago

We love them, especially when space is tight. We designed this dormer loft conversion and incorporated a bathroom area in the eaves creating a spacious master bedroom suite at the top of the house.

Holly Bush Lane, Hampton · More Info

• PRO
    Tugman Studio
    8 years ago

Phew... I was beginning to think I was on my own here!

I happened to design one only yesterday in fact. The property is a lovely flat with a master bedroom that has beautiful river views, but the en-suite was away from the windows and so had no natural light. In blocks there are often not enough windows to serve all the rooms, so bedrooms and living areas snaffle most of what is available and so often bathrooms end up as entirely interior spaces. By opening up the two spaces, both will feel more generous and the bathroom will enjoy natural daylight. The WC is separated off with a closable door and the big walk-in shower is to be behind frosted glass, so the only part "on display" so to speak will be the twin basis. The client LOVED the proposals.

• PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago

50 Degrees North Architects and Architect Your Home you both talk about designing them for other people but do you have them in your own homes? Have you lived with them? And the one illustrated don't look fully open plan but a bath in a bedroom which although I still don't like, is still different to a fully open plan bathroom. Would be curious to hear form people who live with them and how they find them.

• Annette Diziol
    8 years ago

I am in the NO group, albeit liking it as a hotel feature for a short time..... But for real live: Do want to see your partner colouring the hair, any kind of general "body" maintenance, or using the loo while you are in the bedroom? I wouldn't like it. And what happens if one has to get up a lot earlier, tip toing in half darkness ? or when someone want to use the loo at night, I don't wnat to wake up then. What I would really love is having a calm light filled bedroom with very few piece if furniture but a niece view, a seperate dressing room for all the clothes and stuff and from there a very nice light filled bathroom, access to an outside area, garden .... big enough for a being comfortable, reclining chair possibly, so that if you want to share the bathroom youc can ... but you can alos have your privacy when wanted.

• kathryngallan
    8 years ago
    I enjoy lazing in the bath if we stay in a hotel where an open plan bath with a view can be quite indulgent but at home I'm more of a shower girl. Separate rooms for me!
  • PRO
    Tugman Studio
    8 years ago

Hi stellahome - yes, I have this in my own home - the image that I posted a link to above (Wednesday 6.48pm) is in fact from my house. We have lived with this open-plan en-suite arrangement for eight years now and love it every bit as much now as we did when it was new. The bathroom has a bath, twin basins, walk-in shower and (tucked around the corner) a WC.

I think angelboyman's comment saying "if you want more space, get a bigger house" is a bit fatuous. Property is hugely expensive and what we spend the vast majority of our professional life doing for people is making the available space look, feel and work in a way to maximise space.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Tom,

I have to say I rather think the bathroom and bedroom should be separated to some degree... A walk in wet room with floating loo is fine as long as it is enclosed in some way from the bedroom area... It can still be really stylish.. If someone wanted a free standing bath and the room was huge and well ventilated then I would say possibly.. The porcelain throne is quite another story... and should be discreet! Torn Edge your comment made me laugh... And so... on that note... Aesop have produced a product called "Post poo drops" Perhaps they're onto something... For the lack of sound barrier... I suggest learning to sing like a soprano! :))

• PRO
    More Handles Ltd
    8 years ago

Hi there, looks great but I think the privacy thing could pose issues, but it's also mainly down to individual tastes, the picture below is and extension ensuite

Bathroom Handles and Knobs · More Info

• Niki Markwick
    8 years ago
    Not for me. There are some things which should remain behind closed doors and powdering one's nose / sitting on the 'throne' is definitely one of them in my book!
  • PRO
    Tugman Studio
    8 years ago

Hi Niki,

Suggest you read the comments in a little more detail. I don't think anyone is suggesting having a toilet up front and open to full view of a bed - would guess that pretty much anyone would find that a little bit extreme. However a bathtub, and/or a washbasin in an area that is not completely shut-off can work well for some people in some circumstances.

Open-plan does not have to mean entirely open (and rarely does in well designed space). The art of good open-plan design is fine tuning the degree of separation vs integration of spaces.

• PRO
    Tracey Andrews Interiors
    8 years ago

I love the openness for kitchens and living spaces because they create a 'social' aspect, but for me personally I feel the bathroom should be a private area to chill out. Not overly keen on this open area for bathrooms but - situated in a hotel room in some far flung destination in a balmy climate is a different story! But please not , not toilet in view!

• Niki Markwick
    8 years ago
    I did read each and every comment Architect Your Home. I was generalising and my comments were tongue-in-cheek and I simply meant that any kind of open plan bathroom option is not for me. As Tom Flanagan said in his post last Weds ... It's the Marmite of spaces. Much as I love Marmite, I don't like Bovril and this is my idea of bathroom Bovril!

A few years ago I refurbed a house and tried the semi open look. When I was given feedback after potential buyers had viewed my house, the majority of comments from the est agt were 'loved the house, but would prefer the privacy of a separate bathroom'

I agree and have never gone down the open plan route again, although I don't mind if it's just for a short spell ... mini break/holiday, you're there to enjoy yourself and that is completely different to everyday living

On a day to day basis, I wouldn't want my partner walking in / watching me whilst I was having my 'ablutions', shavings legs etc. Everybody's different, but I prefer to do those things behind closed doors

Maybe some might think me old fashioned, but a bog standard, good old fashioned separate family bathroom, or ensuite, win my vote every time
  • PRO
    Tugman Studio
    8 years ago

At the risk of antagonizing anyone else - what about this example? It was the bedroom in a charming holiday let that I stayed in a few years ago in Norfolk. Here the best window (to the south) was into the bathroom space, so the designer had opened this section, with the basin and towel rail to the bedroom making it more spacious and light-filled. around the corner to the left was a walk-in shower and to the right was a door to a separated off WC. I thought this worked very well.

• PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago

Architect Your Home I had a look at your link and as you suggested I suspect it's love/hate ... I rarely say this about much but I do hate it ... even if I walked into a hotel room like this I would walk back out. It's not so much just that there is a bath and sink in it rather that it feels very clinical and lifeless for a sleeping space and to me looks like a lovely bathroom that has had a bed plonked in it rather than visa versa or a more integrated space. It's the long grey unit that doesn't work for me. If the basins were just near the bath and there was something else near the bed I would like it better ... and softer wall colour to complement and bring out the lovely wood.

I was quite surprised, which again is rare for me. It's not that I don't like modern/angular, in fact my bathroom is even more dramatic (see photo below - as you have shared a personal space I thought it fair that I do too) ... but I don't have a bed in it. I also appreciate this will also not be to many people's taste although suspect most people would be happy to find it in a hotel. Personally I love it ... the unusual double bath, the tiles, colours, space, practicality and more ... and still do after 8 years, makes me smile as I suspect yours does you. As the French say ... vive la différence!

• Niki Markwick
    8 years ago
    I agree stellahome, to me it looks a little clinical, almost like a consulting room, but it's a question of personal taste. Wouldn't be for me either, but if we were all programmed the same way, what a boring place the world would be ... each to their own!

I LOVE big baths ... where's your diving board!! Your bathroom looks very Parisienne and I can imagine somebody sitting in it with their hair stuck under a beret (don't like shower hats!), a nice biiiig glass of red, smoking cheroots with Maurice Chevalier playing in the background

Mine looks very bland in comparison, but as I've only got a small window and it does have a tendency to be a little bit dark, I opted for 'safe/boring!' white, with patterned floor tiles ...
  • PRO
    Tugman Studio
    8 years ago

Thanks for sharing these - very much like both your very different bathrooms too. The reverse angle of the one you didn't like is here, although I think it will probably reinforce your views rather than make any difference. You can see the walk-in shower area in this image. Also the view as you come through the doorway

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Niki,

Just wanted to say that your bathroom has some really lovely aspects and not boring at all as you have said!! The floor tiles are lovely and I like the bath, loo and the square sink and the door. I also like the architect your home bathroom style which also has some really lovely aspects -the shower room and the ladder and the flooring of bedroom and bathroom. I also like acessories that are not specifically for a bathroom for example bathroom mirrors - I'd have an antique or something different like you have done there.

Beautiful tiles, textures, wood and warm chalky colours or concrete and plaster or darker charcoals, greens, deep blues with huge banana palms... If a red then a deep matt chalky something like bronze red from LG tempered with yellow pink and clay also LG with bronze or a floral Venetian mirror and your tiles!! :))

• Niki Markwick
    8 years ago
    Thanks Amber. I love the tiles, I've used them in my hallway too and people say they draw you in ... they also make your eyes go funny if you've had one glalalass too many! ... but bestest of all, they only cost just over £2 each and you only need 9 to cover 1sqm, so not toooo much of a hit on the ole wallet!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hi Niki,

Love it! I do like to see tasteful design that isn't a huge hit on the ole wallet! I myself had no budget for my place.. Also because I have found that it's not always the most expensive that is the most tasteful! Procurement/ design and styling for less is just one of my specialties... So.... please share the tile details if you care to, I'd be very interested to know... : ))

• Niki Markwick
    8 years ago
    Hi Amber, procurement/design/styling ... shoestring budget ... me too. As my Dad often says about me 'champagne tastes for beer money'

The tiles were from Tile Magic and are very good quality. People are astonished when I tell them the price

I'm all for achieving something that looks fab, for a fraction of the price. Gives me quite a kick!
  • Niki Markwick
    8 years ago
    Sorry, most importantly Amber, off the top of my head I think they are called Dorset Marron
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago

Niki Markwick while it's not my taste, I like your bathroom, it has a bit of personality and not too cookie cutter. The tiles look like Victorian/Edwardian reproduction an add interest. Do you have a shower? If I had this as part of a hotel suite I'd be quite happy, it's a lovely room. By the way, vive la différence means "long live the difference" too.

• PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago

Architect Your Home thanks for the other photos. I do like many of the aspects of your room, the wall tiles, the wooden doors are gorgeous, I like the bath ... interestingly all aspects of the bathroom, there seems little attention or interest given to the bedroom/sleep space, I guess that was my original point, not that I didn't like the bathroom.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Niki,

Gr8! I will take a look as I have loads of accounts with high end companies and love companies like Bert and May.. but also I will not ever want to shortchange on a style or look, simply because someone can't afford the companies that are in the top end. And sometimes, it's a name you pay for - not necessarily.. quality or style for your buck! (That's just my opinion based on what I like as I have very very very particular taste! .... So thank you so much!! : ))

• laurielarx
    8 years ago

As someone who thinks even en suites just belong in hotel rooms (unless they're for some practical purpose, eg to meet mobility or healthcare needs), not surprisingly I'm mystified by the trend for open plan bathroom-bedrooms. Seems to me the triumph of style over sense. The pictures look lovely and serene, but we all know what goes on in bathrooms - toenail-cutting, shaving, hair-dyeing and depilating being some of the prettier activities. Not to mention the vast amount of products and packaging that have to be dealt with - a few walnut-veneer cabinets wouldn't cut it in most family households! Never mind the smears of toothpaste, nail varnish remover and self tan that would adorn them in short order in our house. But, hats off to anyone who takes on the challenge and wins!

• silyab53
    8 years ago

Stayed in Spitbank Fort and a couple showed us their 'Executive' room which had a free standing slipper bath to one side and I was glad I hadn't paid an extra £100 for an upgrade as I took my Nephew with me as a treat. Can you imagine???!!!

I then went to stay on the newly opened 'No Man's Fort and my friend and I were given room 1, the 'Presidential' suite with - you've guessed it - a slipper bath next to the bed!

Fortunately there was a massive waterfall shower which Annie preferred, but she didn't want to shower while I was in the bath, so it took a lot longer to dress for dinner. No, give me the privacy I enjoy at home, alone. on my own......

• browngyal
    8 years ago
    There's just got to be somewhere where you can get away from it all, where no one dares to intrude (except your/my young children). To have a good cry or just exhale, and that's the bathroom! People will follow you everywhere else, but watch as soon as you approach that bathroom door they...stop!
  • domek357
    8 years ago
    Open plan bathroom... Well, it's a big NO from me... Some things should stay private
  • silyab53
    8 years ago

I stayed in London in a 'boutique' hotel - hate that term as it usually means 'tiny rooms'. Its claim is being the most high tech hotel in London. The bathroom had all round glass - being part of the bedroom - and, at the press of a button, the glass became opaque for privacy. Even though I was there with my Sister on one night and my Niece on the 2nd, it still felt too close for comfort. If you forget to press the button you can be seen sitting on the throne! No. Wrong. LOL Great discussion though!

• silyab53
    8 years ago

If it's not 'too much information', a friend's late husband sought solace in the bathroom and after 10 minutes on the throne his wife would dutifully bring him a coffee while he continued reading the newspaper. Rather think this was his 'escape' from the reality of being an older Father with 2 small babes!!!

• penniejb
    7 years ago

I don't have a problem with the privacy aspect, though I do think that shutting bathroom... eh hem... "smells" out of the bedroom is an advantage.

For me the problem would be the damp. No matter how good the extractor fan is, there is bound to be some steam from a shower. It is for this reason that I dislike the idea of wardrobes in a bath/shower room too. I may be over cautious as I suppose a couple of people showering/bathing is not going to cause clothes etc to be too damp but it just doesn't seem a good idea to me.

• PRO
    Johanna Broekaert Interieurarchitect
    7 years ago

Really like this bathroom.

• PRO
    Normanton Designs
    7 years ago

Can be great in a hotel when there's not much sq meterage to play with. I think in homes it's best done only if you have a staff to keep everything looking shiny and pristine!

• PRO
    Equilibrando... Space Planning with Feng Shui
    7 years ago

I agree with the majority. Some kinds of energies should be separated. / Marcin

• lynnevalerie
    7 years ago

I'm with tornedge, tallgirl5 and angelboyman on this. Love Niki Makwick's bathroom style. Just a thought...how many of you architects who are fans of this style are men? 'Cos I can think of a particular time of the month for females when, other than the damp/smells/up in the night noises, this is just a huge 'no-no' of an idea!

• 163 hrd
    7 years ago

I would prefer an enclosed, tiny, dark bathroom to an open, bright one in the bedroom. Not even in a hotel. I would ask to change rooms.

• Jane Seabrook
    7 years ago
    Definitely not. Bathrooms need walls and doors. There are things that occur in bathrooms that are definitely not for sharing. The mere thought makes me go cold! Euk!
  • obobble
    7 years ago
    Even if there is no objection on privacy grounds, the issue of steam and damp and potential mould is a very important one. You would need a very powerful extractor to prevent any condensation at all, and any such is likely to be so noisy as to negate any peace and quiet or prohibitively expensive. Plus you can also get the external louvres of a fan "clapping" in breezy weather - not conducive to peaceful sleep. I have found just using a steam generator iron in an unventilated bedroom can lead to musty smells, so it's a no no for me.
  • sergey dimitrenko
    7 years ago

Look at this site: https://houseofenki.com/ May be here you can find something for yourself.

• beri
    7 years ago

I´ve stayed in hotels with open bathroom layouts and while it looks lovely and makes the room feel very spacious - I hate it on a practical level. Sometimes you just want to bathe without feeling like you´re putting on a show, and my husband really doesnt need to see me floss my teeth.

• PRO
    Catherine White Interiors
    7 years ago

I feel like open plan might be a trend coming to an end! In an increasingly frenetic and dense society (in cities, anyway) people may begin again to prefer to have their own specific space for specific activity. Those who can afford that, it will be a luxury!

• James T
    6 years ago

I'm looking to renovate the ensuite of my 2 bed flat and came across photos of open plan bathrooms. Some of the photos look great and I'm considering it as I don't have much room to work with in the bathroom and my bedroom has room I can use. I'm looking at moving the basin into the bedroom area, which would free up space for a bath and shower. I was thinking of making the basin look less bathroom-y and more like a makeup desk using wood and soft furnishing and a full length mirror. The rest of the bathroom would be behind a wall (no door). Main problem is that the door to the bedroom will open to the the basin (the rest of the bedroom is on the left), which I guess would put people off.

I quite like the idea but I'm concerned it would put off potential buyers (more so after reading the comments). Should I stick with a traditional ensuite? I can put a bath and shower in there but I think it would be too cramped or I can loose the bath and have more room with just a shower. What do you think?

• 1shanson
    6 years ago
    Stayed at The Chedi in Chiang Mai in Thailand some years ago. The bathroom was open plan which I loved and when privacy was wanted, bifold wooden doors closed it off. A great compromise.
  • Jane Seabrook
    6 years ago
    No to open plan bathrooms. I may not have an ensuite in my current home but when I have been on holiday I love the fact that the bathroom. door can be closed. I hate seeing a bathroom from my bed. It would stop me buying a house no matter how good the rest was. A real deal breaker. Sorry.
  • PRO
    Tugman Studio
    6 years ago

James T,

What I find so extraordinary is how reactionary people get about the subject. It is simply a question of preference. Some people value more separation and privacy whereas others value a greater feeling of space and openness - live and let live!

It is something that I often bring up in lectures about home design as it always seems to provoke a reaction and engages my audience more deeply.

The simple answer to your query is that SOME people will be put off by the open-plan arrangement and SOME people will love it. My own view is that the most important thing is the space and perception of space, I would much rather good space than pokey or cramped separated rooms and doors, but I am quite aware that everyone has their own view and in this there is no right or wrong.

Hope this helps, Hugo.

• James T
    6 years ago

I agree with you Hugo. I think like most things it depends on how it's designed. I've seen photos of open plan bathrooms that I think look awful and some that look fantastic. I guess it's the idea of open plan that is too radical for many people since it's quite new.

I like the idea in my case because it solves the problem with space and to me, is space is the ultimate luxury. I'm going to explorer it further.

Thanks

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.