sophie_katzaros

First Kitchen remodel - advice please?

Sophie Katzaros
6 years ago

Hi All,

We are complete home design novices tackling our first home. We are in the process of ripping out our old 1970's style Kitchen and completely restyling the room including plastering walls and ceilings to remove artex, installing new (second hand) units, worktop, tiles etc. I have been tasked with the decision on the paint for the room (walls and cupboards) but as it's our first home and the first room we are updating I am somewhat overwhelmed by the choices available.

The plan is to paint the base units a mid soft grey tone (like Dulux Chic Shadow?) with a white marble effect laminate worktop, Matt metro marble effect tiles and the wall units to be an off white colour. I've currently chosen Dulux Rock Salt for the walls but I'm unsure whether to opt for Dulux Trade Pure Brilliant White for the ceilings or stick with the wall colour up top? We have bought Dulux Easycare as the Kitchen range was out of stock so not sure what finish would be required for the ceiling?

That then leaves me with which colour and brand/finish of paint to use for the wall and floor units bearing in mind the top cabinets will be lighter and need to tone with the Rock Salt walls? There are so many options out there and I don't want the room to feel bare or stark! Has anyone ever used Wilko own brand paint and can you share any feedback? I like their Cosy Grey for the base units but don't think it comes in the right type of paint for wood?

The other option would be to replace the Cupboard doors altogether as I would really prefer Shaker style but not sure if it's worth the hassle/cost?

The room is a long Kitchen/Diner South West facing so gets lots of sun in the afternoon and we will be having a white washed Oak wood effect LVT flooring.

Please help a confused newbie with her first design project? Opinions and advice gladly welcomed!

Floor, Wall Tile and Worktop samples attached. Plus a photo of our new units in their old situ.

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.