webuser_71660

choosing a dark kitchen - help

Tani H-S
6 years ago
We are onto our kitchen planning now and I have just posted another thread about the whole open plan design and getting it to all work together.

However, I'm just so torn over what style of kitchen to go for.

Originally I wanted a wood base so that I could paint it dark and moody. Perhaps blue black (so it's not too stark) or a charcoal black and matt tones.
We don't have a massive budget due to all the rest of the renovations but the island needs to be the main feature and a design that will look just as good 10-15 years time.

I love contemporary but also wanted something that wasn't just a fad/current fashion so it wouldn't outdated so quickly. Even thought about going to reclamation yards to find a vintage piece we can upcycle but not as much choice where I live. I've been to loads of kitchen showrooms and the German kitchens seem to be high quality for laminate doors etc which we would consider but they all look a bit the same. I also love the idea of an island done in the marbled silestone or quartz (these are just stunning!) and perhaps having a cheaper worktop across the back to keep the cost down.

My worries are with the dark colour:-

Dust
Showing finger prints
Getting the right tones so that it's not just a mass of black

Any advice? Anyone got a dark kitchen and found any other issues with it?

The kitchen will be south facing with roof lights above as a flat roof extension. Should be a very light room

Comments (30)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.