jubaida_rashid

Vinyl vs. Laminate

Juby R
5 years ago
What’s the difference between these two?

Pros and cons for using in dining room and bathroom would be appreciated for those that have used them.

What’s the average cost?

Comments (21)

• User
    5 years ago
    Vinyl is more waterproof (its plastic) so it may be better for bathroom.

Both laminate and vinyl come in such a huge range in terms of quality and price so it is hard to say which would be better, its definitely something worth looking at in person to make a decision.

I have no experience of vinyl but have tile effect laminate in utility room and its fine, does the job. It wasnt at the luxury end of the market though.
  • User
    5 years ago
    Vinyl is more waterproof (its plastic) so it may be better for bathroom.

Both laminate and vinyl come in such a huge range in terms of quality and price so it is hard to say which would be better, its definitely something worth looking at in person to make a decision.

I have no experience of vinyl but have tile effect laminate in utility room and its fine, does the job. It wasnt at the luxury end of the market though.
  • Related Discussions

Bathroom floor black laminate or black vinyl tiles?

Q

Comments (4)
    If you are keeping the skirting consider painting it the same colour as the floor to trick your eye into thinking the floor area is bigger.
    ...See More

laminate or luxury vinyl

Q

Comments (5)
    I would go for LVT (karndean or amtico to name a few). Very hard wearing, can withstand high amounts of traffic, water resistant if laid correctly and doesn't look cheap. It's also warm to the teach and definitely the option I'd Consider if you don't have underfloor heating.
    ...See More

Laminate v vinyl flooring

Q

Comments (6)
    I agree that most laminate are now very durable and water resistant but LVT is technically superior to laminate. LVT is softer and warmer than laminate and easier to install too. In terms of pricing our LVT, from a very reputable German supplier start at £15.83+vat per square metre. while out laminate floor start at £14.5+vat. Both before discount
    ...See More

Vinyl laminate cracking - uneven floor? - advice wanted please!

Q

Comments (10)
    Planking is suitable for UFH up to 27C. Flooring has been down about 7 months so heating has been on over winter (at 19C) - not currently on. I suppose it’s possible there’s not enough depth over the pipes and so it’s transferring heat above the set temperature. I hadn’t considered that, just assumed it was cracking due to changes in the level underneath. How would you suggest checking the actual floor temperature? Or is the easiest solution to get the screed/self/levelling compound redone? Do you know what the minimum depth should be?
    ...See More
  • Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks.

Just did some research and that seems to be the main difference; how waterproof it is.

You’re right i do need to have a look in person to make sure I know what I’m buying . Just seems the cheaper option at the moment instead of wood or ceramic tiles.

It’d be great to see some real pictures of anyone that has laminate or vinyl in dining room or bathroom flooring.
  • HU-343559674
    5 years ago

Hi there, Juby!

A sweeping statement here, but generally, vinyl (cushion vinyl // CV), will be cheaper per square metre than laminate.

Vinyl comes multi width, 2.00, 3.00 and 4.00 metre wide. Laminate comes boxed, in plank format, generally 1.5m² to 2m² per box. Laminate will need an expansion gap around the perimeter of the room, CV will not and can be fitted net to the skirting boards.

Both products are man made. CV is oil/plastic based. Laminate, wood pulp based.

Good quality laminates are nowadays very believable. Reproduction is spot on and the better ones come with long warranties, in some cases up to 25 years.

Good quality CV can also look pretty authentic, too. You're more likely to find unusual designs in CV, compared to more standard wood/tile designs of laminate flooring.

It really comes down to a few of things:

1. What's your budget?
    2. What's the traffic/footfall levels in the areas you want this new flooring for?
    3. What's made you believe you want CV or laminate? There may be other viable options.

For a comprehensive and good quality laminate, why not check out Quick-Step on our online retail store ▶️ https://flooringmegastore.co.uk/brands/quick-step/

You'll see we offer their products with interest free finance too, making their high quality products more affordable and allowing you to spread the cost…

• Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I thought it was cheaper than wood which is why I wanted it. I wanted the chevron design in the living room and tile effect in the bathroom.

Hoping it was a cheaper alternative. It does like like real wood from your pics. I will have a look in person.
  • mattweeksdj
    5 years ago
    Installed vynal flooring in our bathroom which came as wooden effect planks. Brought self adhesive underlay for it as well but installed it all myself to keep cost down. beauty is that you can cut it and snap with a knife so it’s very easy to do on your own.
  • PRO
    Italian Design Ltd
    5 years ago

Vinyl come in rolls, a bit like carpet, or as LVT (luxury vinyl tiles) which mimic the shape of both ceramic tiles and wood floors. LVT is easier to install, especially in residential environments, a normally is a bit thicker (there are many different varieties) and looks more like the real thing (wood floor). Laminate is often made with HDF (High Density Fibreboard/Hardboard) core and a digital print with a wear resistance layer on top. In essence laminate has a HDF core, LVT has a vinyl core.

LAMINATE

LVT

In practical terms LVT is much more resistant than laminate. The main problem with laminate is that moisture and water can enter from the 4 sides of the boards and swell.

Modern quality laminate made with moisture resistant core are less likely to swell of course, but LVT is generally an amazing product with exceptionally low price.

Both LVT and Laminate can be £60 per sqm for a very good good quality one and less than £20 for lower quality.

As you have read this far, maybe you want to read a bit more https://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/Learning-Center/Flooring-LC/Why-we-dont-sell-luxury-vinyl-tile

• PRO
    bubbles bathrooms and tiles
    5 years ago

I wouldn't have laminate/wood in a bathroom as it's not waterproof. Vinyl, karndean, amtico are good options for both rooms.

have a look at Vusta's website for more information https://www.vusta.co.uk/

• PRO
    FAIRFAX FLOORING
    5 years ago

Hi,

if you are not getting professional installer to do it, your main issue is going to be condition of your subfloor. Its very easy picking something reasonably priced that you like aesthetics of it but, how is it going to look few weeks down the line. For anything "vinyl" its absolutely crucial to get your subfloor mirror like surface smooth, as if anything less, it will "telegraph" to your new vinyl. So if your subfloor requires preparation, you might find that cost of it, could easily be higher than cost of the vinyl itself. For that reason laminate flooring could be more feasible option for you, as it is more forgiving in terms of subfloor condition.

Saying that, if your subfloor is really bad, you would still need to get it right even for laminate or any other floor covering for that matter. All the best.

• Pavan123
    5 years ago
    Has anyone used rigid core vinyl planks?
  • HU-343559674
    5 years ago

Why do you ask such a question, Pavan123?

• Pavan123
    5 years ago
    because I was looking at it as an option, specifically an SPC one. it sounds amazing, but it's difficult o get an accurate view on it as flooring companies either seem to not have heard of it and therefore don't rate it or have heard of it as they stock it and say it's the best thing since sliced bread. Can't seem to get away from the bias of a salesman...
  • Pavan123
    5 years ago
    and it seems to be a happy medium between laminate and vinyl flooring
  • HU-343559674
    5 years ago

Rigid core LVT is likely to become the next generation of LVTs.

Solid (less likely to suffer indentations), more stable (less likely to expand and contract in extreme conditions, such as conservatories), more forgiving to the small subfloor imperfections (small dips and raises in a subfloor can be soaked up by rigid core) indicate to this style becoming very popular.

Those that know, know. Those that don't will pooh-pooh the product. That's why you've had varying opinions, Pavan.

Rigid core is more than likely to be more expensive than traditional 2.5mm dry back LVT, though. For some installations rigid core LVT will be over engineered. Just depends on the type of installation you are about to embark on and also the aesthetics. Do you like the design look of the rigid core?

We're cute, we're cuddly… we're the Flooring Gurus!

• Pavan123
    5 years ago
    Thanks so much flooring megastore. that's super helpful. I loved the look of it instantly when I saw it in the showroom and it's actually reasonably priced too. I guess I just thought it was too good to be true but all my research suggests what you've said is accurate so I'm going to take the plunge. Thanks for your advice!
  • Miz Bent
    4 years ago

parvan 123, how did you get on?

• HU-343559674
    4 years ago

Good questions, Miz Bent… we're all dying to know, Pavan123. Spill the beans!

• Pavan123
    4 years ago

Bloody love it. I'm not at home so have no pics but I'm very pleased. I think it's essentially a cross between vinyl and laminate. I had oak effect parquet covering approximately 90sqm and it cost £5700 which was a country mile cheaper than other options, but not compromising on quality. it has scratched in places where the joiner scraped his table across it. But I have kids and it's been much more resilient than my wood floor in my previous house and looks as good

• HU-343559674
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Oof… still none the wiser. What is it called and where did you manage to grab this from, Pavan? Ever so interested to learn what this wonder product is.

• Pavan123
    4 years ago

It’s called Chenes firmfit flooring

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.