sam_potter37

Back yard ideas

Sam Potter
4 years ago

In September my back yard is getting a new surface (Indian sandstone). The landscapers will be leaving a planting pocket (currently along the left side looking from the kitchen window), and providing a planting plan. The gardener who came out to quote recommended Virginia creeper for the tallest blank wall. Otherwise I'd like plants that look good all year round, and a less formal, more 'secret garden' feel. I like the idea of trees, and edibles. I get very little sun, the garden is East facing. The sun shines on the big side wall nearest the house in the morning, and has moved down to the corner near the gate by early afternoon.
I use the space as a workshop for DIY (hence the temporary rain-proof gazebo and bka J and decker workmate). We also have three bikes, which fit in the shed if nothing else is in there but currently it's full of DIY stuff.
I'd like a sitting area for two people, a small table, and a space for a barbecue. It doesnt have to be a permanent fixture.
I also have to accommodate a wheelie bin, log store and litter box.
I'd quite like to create a mini deck outside the shed, and put a little roof on it. Mostly for aesthetic purposes but also to shelter the logs, and maybe the wheelie bin, plus a seed propagating area.
Oh and I've also toyed with a see-through corrugated plastic roof above the kitchen window, stretching as far as the end of the utility window, as a smoking shelter (not me) and rainproof workshop area. But I don't want it to block what little sun I get, or spoil the view from the kitchen window.
I'm in Newcastle so winter lasts for around nine months :-(.
I'd love ideas for layout, plants and ways I can make this area do everything. Also I've seen conversations in here about colour/ patterns to use for stone patios. Not sure what pattern would be best for mine.
Oh and I quite fancy a hanging macrame chair thing. There's an inspo pic below of one of these outside a shed which is what I'm aiming for.

Comments (109)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.