hzdeleted_34127194

Kitchen design / layout

User
4 years ago

Hello, I posted last year about my kitchen. At that point we were thinking about reworking the existing units to improve the layout. This turned out to be a no go, so we are now starting down the new kitchen route.

We've had a design done, but despite reworking the layout several times - the designer has been very accommodating! – we have ended up with an almost identical look and layout to the one we have now apart from some extra storage and reworking the cooking area. The design replaces the Aga with a range cooker and adds a large larder unit and some additional base units. To be fair to the designer this does address all my requests, but it all feels a bit samey.

It’s an old, complicated house. None of the walls or ceiling are square and some other things can't be moved without major renovations, which we don't want to do. The existing wall cupboards are covering a multitude of sins: pipes, consumer board, meters, etc, so that’s why they’ve remained pretty much where they are in the design. We eat all our meals around the table so would like it to stay, as well as keeping the existing FF and DW, which are both fairly new. We will also have to install a radiator (the Aga currently heats the room). I do realise that all of this limited what the designer could suggest. However, am I missing a trick? Can anyone spot an obvious way to improve this design... or maybe even just confirm that the design is okay?

Comments (14)

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

It does look like a very efficient use of the space, however it does look very similar to what you already have. Are you wanting the same doors/look of the kitchen? perhaps a different colour scheme and different cabinet door design might help change up the look and feel without compromising the efficient layout.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Mr Buckley. I think you're right, without a major overhaul this is probably the layout we'll have to go with. The thing is I actually like the existing cupboards, which is why I initially thought to just rearrange and add some more units. Sadly, that proved a no go. I haven't really fixed on colour or materials yet beyond keeping things shaker / traditional. The room doesn't get much light, so we want to lighten the flooring and find other ways to give a feeling of light. I'm open to suggestions on this?

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

With such a small window down at that end of the room, it might be that it'll never be as light as you may want it to be from natural light. I would thoroughly recommend getting someone to do a proper set of lighting calculations to work out the best light spec and layout for the room.

As for the rest of it, could you not use a lighter material for the worktop, that's the main horizontal surface (other than the floor) so should reflect a lot of light.

And why are you getting rid of the Aga? They can keep a whole house warm!

• PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago

https://www.houzz.co.uk/projects/5550787/ccs-cottage-kitchen

you might find that changing designers might bring new possibilities?

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your suggestions. Yes, we're definitely changing the lighting. Inherited some hideous lights that don't really do the job, so swapping for down lighters, under cabinet lighting and anywhere else we can put it in. I had wooden worktops in my last house and loved them so wanted them here, but am slowly coming round to the idea of something lighter. Love the look of the kitchen in your link oneplan.

We've been having the Aga debate for over three years now. It's basically a very (very!) expensive winter cooker/radiator and unfortunately this one doesn't heat the whole house or do anything else. I know they divide people. In our case it's love the look/feel, hate the bills!

I know I'm a tricky customer! This is what our current designer is having to deal with... I clearly have trust issues :)

• Sonia
    4 years ago

I remember changing the layout of my smaller kitchen 9 years ago and opening up a boarded pantry, but I ended up with much less worktop and storage, I must have had my wrong head on that day! Only myself to blame. I should have had the same layout which was so much better. I really like the plan you have shared, it looks lovely. By the way we have the same Gorenge FF! Love that retro look.

• minnie101
    4 years ago

PS long story short, we've got the same aga that also doesn't heat the house. After horrendous gas bills and turning various things on and off for x days, we did prove our aga was costing C£15 a week to run which from memory is in line with what Aga say. I know it's not cheap but I think high ceilings, galleried landing, old house etc etc was driving our bill. Karen designed my kitchen a few months ago and I did have the same debate re keep or not!

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Superb photoshop effort :)

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow, thank you minnie! The designer had suggested a tall unit on the left hand side (I probably have the picture somewhere), but it didn't look right on its own. This balances it out nicely though. The wall units on the right are covering up pipes that I've been told we can't move without some pretty invasive work to the upstairs, but we may be able to box them in somehow. I should say that he (the designer) is also a good friend and did our last kitchen for us that looked remarkably like yours Forza - gloss slab doors, oak worktops - and I loved. I think subconsciously I'm trying to recreate it here!

Incidentally, what did you decide to you about your Aga minnie? We worked out that it added an extra £1000 per year to our gas bill, which we just can't justify.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am going to lighten the beams - have had some success doing this elsewhere in the house - but I won't get away with painting them! Was thinking something like this over the table.

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Oh I missed the pipes, I was just expecting everything to be in the top left cupboard :( Hopefully they could do something with boxing in? We decided to keep the aga. I actually really like the look of them although I don't rave about its cooking if I'm honest. I do however like the ability just to put food straight in the oven and dry clothes etc. I didn't research it properly but I don't think they're that easy to get apart which was another factor? I have a small existing radiator in the kitchen but I was also a bit limited as to where another could go although you've obviously got the wall under the larger window. Karen recommended (from memory) a small ikea induction hob for times when you need extra hob space I.e. Juggling a cooked breakfast!

I remember one of your posts from when you moved in, so i take it you haven't ended up using the dining room or do you for entertaining?!

Like the light too :)

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We did put a dining area in the other room for special occasions and it's become the homework / working from home table. However, I wouldn't want to faff about taking food into the other room for every meal. I've never had a kitchen island (another thing that divides people!). We did think about putting in a small island with a smaller table attached - I even mocked it up with some other bits of furniture :) - but it seemed too crowded.

I agree about the Aga. Nice to look at and for chucking stuff in the oven when you get home from work, but not actually very good to cook a wide range of food on. I bake a lot and find it terrible for anything that requires a bit more accuracy.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago

There really are many options with kitchen designs - what you’ve been shown so far look to be a salespersons plans - not a freethinking designers plans - there’s a big difference between someone trying to sell you something and someone who loves designing with clients to cover lots of options until we find the solution that suits. As we don’t sell any product - we don’t have any other agenda - we just want to pull together a design that suits you and the space, is safe, looks good and give you the tools to go and shop around to compare prices at various shops/studios/chains with ease. You should consider buying your kitchen this way. It will save you time and money !

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.