kirsty_ryder

Dormer Window Dressing

Kirsty Ryder
3 years ago

We have 4 dormer windows and we keep agonising over how to dress them then making the "wrong" decisions! We've got one left to do and I'm keen to get it less wrong this time!

The window is in the room our 2 year old sleeps in, so needs to be as black out as possible, and safe.

So what I've learned about roller blinds is that while they have the advantages of being easier to clean and rolling up out of the way, I find that they do not offer the "cosiness" I would like in a bedroom and as they have to be fitted in the recess in a dormer, also do not fully block out the light as there is a lot of light round the edges. and over the top.

We did buy a blackout blind that has plastic trim on the edges for one of our rooms which mostly solves this but it has not proved to be very robust or fit as well as it should in our old wonky house. it is also really quite unattractive!

A curtain would be an option but has the disadvantages of blocking out more light during the day on either side of the window and also the possibility of light creeping rouns the top/bottom?. Not a problem at the moment as we don't spend much time up there but could be a niggle in the future? More of a problem if adding in interlining and black out lining as the curtain gets thicker and thicker but I'm not sure how much of a problem it would be? what would be the best way to fit? The obvious thing would be to use dormer rods but I feel that they would not be robust enough for use in a toddler room, any thoughts on that? I also looked at the tracks that bend round the corner but also have concerns on how robust they would be.

The final option unless I've missed something would be roman blinds. Are these effective for blackout? obviously I realise these also have the downside of losing some sun light during the day too but not sure if less or more than curtains!

I'm sure I'm overthinking this but wondered if anyone would have any advice for me!

Also if anyone has any ideas about improving the look of our roller blinds in the other rooms that would be amazing, I feel like there is not enough space in the recess to add a valance or something but I could be wrong? ! I will upload some images tomorrow morning if its possible to come back and edit!

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.