webuser_844550076

Windowless room/layout dilema

Nicola Wilkinson
3 years ago

Hi all,

I am looking for thoughts on a house I am interested in buying. It has so much going in its favour but it has such a strange upstairs layout it is putting me off slightly.

The house is a middle terrace, which at some point has been extended to create a bigger kitchen and add another bedroom. Unfortunately it has left both the bathroom and the middle bedroom windowless.

Despite this I still like it. It would just me moving in and I wouldn't want to use the windowless room as a bedroom (it wouldn't legally count as one anyway, I think?) and I can think of several other uses for it, but I am concerned that this may put other buyers off should I want to sell at some point in the distant future.

Both the windowless rooms have sun pipes, which when I viewed the property during the day did not let in a lot of light (north facing might be why). The bedroom also has a high up horizontal frosted window into the main, south-facing bedroom.

I feel a compromise would be to replace the sun-pipes with skylights for both rooms to make them brighter. I am not wholey apposed to reconfiguring the rooms to try and make the third bedroom hit an outside wall to put a window in but this would only be possible by sacrificing space in the biggest bedroom and I am not sure if this is even possible or if it would make the rooms to narrow and long? Also I have no idea how much this would cost as it would require moving the stairs and moving the bathroom so it might not even be a realistic option.

The floorplan is a little misleading in the sense that it looks like it may be possible to put an external window in the bathroom, but the extension is actually more in the middle so I don't think this is actually possible.

Really I just wanted to know what other people think. Would I be silly buying a house with this layout or if adding skylights or changing the layout would be a feasible and more attractive option.

This is the floorplan at the moment:

This was what I was thinking of:

Thanks!

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.