I've recently had some pocket doors put in the wall between my living room and and rear reception room but some diagonal cracks are forming at both corners. I'm thinking its just the plaster drying but because of their location I wanted to check.
The builders said that the wall was a stud wall and that upstairs was supported by a horizontal wooden beam running from one party wall to the other party wall (red line on attached photo). When they took the plaster off there was a vertical post, however, they said that it wasn't supporting the beam at all and it was just an old stud (you can see it in the photo). They cut the post and built a frame around the pocket doors. Has anyone else had something similar? Is it something to worry about? The flat is on the ground floor of a victorian terrace.
Related Discussions
Open Plan Layout and Kitchen Ideas
Q
Georgian office has become uninspiring dumping ground
Q
Help with floor plan / extension etc
Q
Last chance saloon for middle room
Q