karis123

Georgian office has become uninspiring dumping ground

Kathryn Jellis
7 years ago

I've run out of energy with renovating our listed building in Bath and the room I was initially most excited about (finally getting to have my own office) has now been left totally unfinished and my kids and husband keep dumping stuff in here.

I had this vision for it to be a beautiful gustavian office/hobby room - with the lovely desk I bought and a sofa bed and coffee table to sit on to more creative work looking out over the garden. Instead the shelves the builders put in a cupboard look horrid - way too modern and I think the bikes might always have to live in here as we have no garage or access to the garden, so if we put them in the vault in the basement they never see the light of day. It's just two small kids bikes.

So don't know if I should hold out for my vision (and banish the bikes) or create a large storage bookcase/desk where the desk is now to store the bikes, computer and some prettiness and put a door on the existing cupboard to keep the existing shelves and storage. Or rip out the shelves, put a door on the cupboard and use it for vertical bike storage and still have pretty loveliness in the rest of the room. Bit like this sort of vibe but the house isn't as ornate. Instead, all the mouldings and fireplaces are very simple in design as it's 1810 when the Georgians started wearing simple empire line dresses, not the big wigs etc.

French Library with Gustavian Clock · More Info

Also really disliking the yellow now - the rest of the house has tuned out to be filled with much more calming blues. Here's a picture of the back wall in the living room, which you walk past to get to my office. Overall it's quite an elegant simply designed house - except for this room. Arrrggg!

Should I paint my office the same colour (pale blue and white woodwork) as the room next door, or try to give it it's own personality...? Should I keep my desk or go for something built in which can also accommodate the bikes? I will be keeping the door frame and door into the room stripped pitch pine to match the rest of the house. Plus keeping the floorboards exposed as we have a dog and easier to mop, but happy to have a rug. Any ideas/inspiration hugely appreciated...

Comments (22)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.