jophilip1

Help! House layout dilemma

jophilip1
7 years ago
Hello ... We are a family with two small children (4&2) and moved into our new house 3 months ago and we always knew we would want to do some work to it. It is a terraced 1920s property in a conservation area. The property is characterful and has charm. It has a more modern extension to the rear of the property to make a big dining room/ family room which the previous owners did.
I do like the house however I think it has so much potential that just needs a bit of thought to try and unlock it... The only trouble is, the layout is starting to bug me more than I initially thought so I need some help to try and get my head around how I can attend to the issues list and gain some of my wants in there! Help please!!

So my issues are around layout mainly - the downstairs just doesn't work - loads of wasted space.

- The kitchen is on the smaller side in the middle of the property and with no natural light. It also houses a washing machine which I want out of the kitchen!

- the side access to the garden has been covered and offers a long narrowish space that is a utility type area however the washing machine is in the kitchen(?!) has a few cupboard to be honest has become a bit of a dumping ground. It has front and back access. Front access is more useful because it can house a buggy/pushchair. (The space is currently at its narrowest point just over 1m wide and at its widest 130cms)

- there is virtually no hall space - when welcoming guests we are prancing around the front door because the stair case is literally straight in front - then we have to negotiate which way to go into the back of the property where we spend all our time. I'd love a hallway or a defined area to travel through the house so that the sitting room to the left was not a walkway. The stairs are also enclosed between two walls (guessing pinning up middle of the house?) - I'd love to also have open balustrades to make it feel less enclosed - don't know if this is possible.

- I have no storage which is becoming crazy crazy with two young children. My eldest has just started school and I can now see I need a school cupboard as well other cupboards housing shoes, coats, wellies, buggy? for the rest of the family.

We have a huge cupboard under the stairs that just does not work as it is accessed by worlds smallest door (which my head is not very thankful for!)

- we have a large downstairs bathroom with a huge shower that we do not need as we have two bathrooms upstairs (I'll come to that later).

- filing - everyone's Bain but grrrr... We have no specific space for it and just grrrrr!!

The other annoying thing is that we have a southeast facing house so we miss out on a huge amount of daylight during the afternoon and the downstairs rooms that benefit are the velum Windows in the narrow covered passageway and the downstairs loo!

We like our sitting room as is so we would prefer not to touch it however welcome thoughts

So there are my head spinning thoughts on downstairs!!! :)

Our wish list would love to include
- Kitchen/ diner
- separate utility space - happy with walk in cupboard or room
- downstairs little loo
- playroom/ teen den (for later yrs)
- sitting room as is
- study area

We have a budget of £40k currently and we are based in east Surrey so know it is t going to stretch far however we would love to challenge the budget and the houses potential.

We are quite happy putting in planning to square off rooms and side alley and porch way if it is really needed but wanted to explore what the house could do in the 'as is'.

Upstairs ... I'll leave that for another time :) and another budget!

Thanks for your time!

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.