Struggling to achieve a garden design for our funky plot
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (24)
- 5 years ago
Related Discussions
Back Garden Design Dilema
Comments (21)Hi Carolins, as requested I took a couple of pictures of the garden last night. Its one hell of a mess, I'm very very much looking forward to getting it looking nice. Would be so lovely to sit out in the sun with a glass of wine (presuming we get any more sun lol). There's 2 pictures with 2 images I've combined, one which shows the view up the garden (towards the garage) and one which shows the patio and scruffy shed. The other two images show the view from by the car (the garage is on the left) and the other shows the view from what will be the patio by the garage (there's a red Poppy in the image). Might be ok on the path through the lawn to the raised beds then. I suppose I can always add something later if need be. Wouldn't have thought I'd go over more than once or twice a day to be honest (bit difficult seeing as I'm out 12 hours most days). Still playing around with the pergola idea you suggested. Quite like the look of it, just a tad concerned it may block some of the light into the dining room (which is already quite dark). The other thing I'm not sure of yet is having the pergola there if we fence the patio off as a dog run. I'd previously though of basically fencing across the entire patio. May not though, I quite liked your initial idea for the dog run. I think that other than a few tweeks to the design (mostly to add things like compost heaps lol) I'm quite happy with what I've got. So thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it. It really helps to talk ideas through with someone....See MoreGarden design - How can I make this layout more interesting?
Comments (11)Thanks. I've gone off the idea of the long winding path. I think it would take too much space. This is my latest thoughts. Two round lawns that intersect, edged by little pavers, and with a path through the middle (which I'd probably add later). Any thoughts? How can I improve this? Thanks for any opinion. It really helps....See MoreGarden ideas for our large plot?
Comments (4)Hi Alex A blank space - and a great one too! West is best so you are going to have a lot of options, not only how you'd like to use the space, but also so many plants, trees and shrubs are going to love your space. My advice is to sit down with a cold beer/chilled glass of something nice and imagine yourself in that space and how you'd actually use it. If you aren't a keen gardener, you do probably don't want high maintenance. Grass needs cutting at leat once a week in the growing season, so if you'd rather be doing something else, think more about different hard landscaping options. Gardens really need some thought as although they are cheaper than interiors (by and large) per square foot, they can also be extremely disruptive to put right if you decide you don't like your new paving/garden studio/shed somewhere down the line! A pink interior wall you hate can be repainted easily - gardens have to be dug up! Beth Chatto famously created her garden garden out of an area of old car park, so your tennis court might be perfect for a low maintenance drought garden. Could be modern or traditional - whatever makes you happy. Remember your garden is there to please no-one else but you... Feel free to get in touch for advice. Lucy...See MoreStruggling on planning an extension
Comments (35)I'm not sure I understand why your kitchen can't be re-used if you extend sideways? Is that what you meant? The kitchen can be re-used wherever it is at the moment. Yes, you may need more units, but mix and match colourwise is in at the moment. Many people have a different coloured Island to the rest of the kitchen, so that shouldn't be a problem. Yes, you will incur costs with a steel on the side, but it is a standard build and you're not bolting steels together, so it really is relatively easy. You just have to get a structural engineer to work out the load and the steel required. The rest is brute force and donkey work for the builder. I would contact a few building companies - If I ever need help on a build I use MyBuilder. Tell them up front that your budget is 25K decked and finished, with a small contingency and that is also to re-use the kitchen. I usually find that if you stick with one firm, you get more for your money - makes sense, as they're earning more in one place, so, easier for them. If they can't do it for the price and make sure you get a fixed price quote, then they won't want the job and you can move on to the next one. Yes, you can save money by doing all the boarding out etc, then get the builder back to plaster, but if you don't know what you're doing with the electrics, plumbing etc, you can't board out successfully, you'll just create problems. So, try and get a fixed price quote first, you may be surprised....See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago























HU-487479896