sophiemillward_shoults

Kitchen styling paralysis - help!

Sophie Shoults
2 years ago

Hi folks! I've been working on my kitchen plan for months now. Decided to go for a 'makeover' rather than ripping it all out as the footprint and carcasses are sound. We've nailed the layout changes in terms of some vertical rearrangement to create extra worktop space.

I thought we'd nailed the cupboard front choices, but now we're trying to choose a worktop and I'm questioning it all again! We picked charcoal matt for the bulk of the kitchen, with a run of light oak effect to the left where the sink and kettle are. There's a lot of cupboard, so figured having a contrasting section would break it up a bit and 'zone' the areas of the kitchen into cooking vs casual use.

Flooring will be mid-grey tile-effect laminate. Initially i thought it'd be a white worktop with maybe some visual interest of marbling, but the company we're using doesn't have quite the right thing. In the shop yesterday we were drawn to these mottled grey/copper industrial looking worktops and they seemed to go well with the door choices. Now we've got the samples in the house, though, I'm worried it's all going to be a bit overbearing!

Posted this on Reddit and got torn apart, drab was the word, but apparently also my room is 'a dark and tight space'. (I thought a 15'x15' kitchen was ample, myself?) Critique is fine but please be kind, and constructive :)

Current kitchen (pics taken before we moved in, not our 'things'):

Cupboard doors and floor:

Cupboard doors and worktop:

Visualised layout on ikea planner (we're not buying through ikea so colours are approximate):

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.