To open a staircase?
last year
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (11)
Related Discussions
Open metal staircase to basement
Comments (1)You could add hardboard & carpet to the treads....See MoreEntry Ideas for House where Front Door Opens onto Staircase
Comments (6)I too have a teeny tiny hall and there isn’t really much you can do, but it can be brightened up with a nice paint job and accessories. I have a small coat rack (3 hooks) in the hall. The stairs I’ve kept clear of pictures as the stairs are so narrow. At the top I’ve a couple of small family pics and a large driftwood heart. My walls are Dulux Egyptian Cotton and the carpet is a stripy one from Crucial Trading. You could put up a nice mirror in the hall, assuming the front door doesn’t bang into it, and maybe another one at the top of the stairs? You are right to stick with paler shades. I know dark shades are in vogue but maybe not where an area has no natural light. It would be grim. Do you have a favourite colour? Palest green, pink or mauve would look good. Plants wouldn’t fare well in a dark area, but there are some fantastic faux ones about that would look good. Here’s a few pics of mine, not the best pics as so little room, I feel your pain!...See More1960s open tread staircase renovation suggestions please
Comments (14)I agree with you 100%. Design is all well and good but if it doesn’t function well then it soon loses its appeal and for me if it means more cleaning then forget it! The images on the blog look great though I notice that the treads are also ply. Like you I am not entirely convinced ply will work with teak. I think it would be a shame to paint the teak so could you do the reverse of what you propose, keep the teak and have painted the rails? Another consideration is painted rails will stand up to wear and tear much better than painted treads. Wumis suggestion to use metal is good though I would prefer something softer such as laser cut metal panels which come in all sorts of patterns. The coppery colour of Corten steel might look good. They would also create patterns from the light shining through from the roof light. Good lighting might be another consideration. Box in the treads and use strip LED lights hidden under the treads. Not quite the same but once the children are grown you could remove the risers. These could be painted to match the rails. I expect the teak is slathered in a hard varnish that crazes and scratches easily and cannot be repaired. It would be nice to take it back to the wood and finish it in something that is easier to maintain. I used Sikkins on new oak window frames which was a doddle to maintain. Mind you it won’t be so much of a doddle to strip the varnish off the teak! A job not for the faint hearted but, none the less, worthwhile....See MoreDesign challenge: Fix for front door that opens directly onto stairs
Comments (11)I’m in a 1930s terrace, and my hall is tiny too! Yo made me chuckle with your acrobatics to enter your house......... All the houses in my road are the same on the outside, but configured slightly differently inside. My neighbours house has a much bigger hall leading to the kitchen, but it eats into their sitting room which is much smaller than mine. You could remove the wall into the kitchen, or move it further into the kitchen giving you a wider hall? Or as CWD suggests adding, maybe a porch to the front crating a bigger hall? A floor plan or pics will help envisage your problem....See More- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
















Angie