hughjeffort

Planning authority advice

hughjeffort
8 years ago

Hi All,

Have a question that i'm hoping someone will be able to help with...........

First a quick as I can background..........

I have a Victorian semi in a conservation area, building not listed.

I applied to have the kerb dropped and the front wall gate opening widened (Already agreed twice but lapsed)

Was refused on the grounds that the decorative wall was a feature of the area. Most of the wall is under 1m therefore can be removed under permitted development but the pier for the gate is 1.1m so cannot. I can remove the wall leaving the pier and have access but the angle would not be ideal.

I contacted the planning officer to see if a compromise could be reached and she was extremely hostile. I approached the permitted development angle and it was met with..'Well you'll have to re submit with better plans then I may still refuse with extra conditions' I wasn't sure how to take this so I thought i'd ask for some advice.

Is it possible that the council could refuse my application with the revised plans then add the condition that I can no longer remove the wall that is below 1m?

Would it be a good idea for me to remove the wall now, submit plans that have the wall rebuilt to the opening I require thereby not giving them the chance to take away my permitted rights? (I have checked with a planning officer on a site visit and had it confirmed I can remove the wall, unfortunately not the same one that refused it)

Any advice would be appreciated, the ideal situation would be to get them to agree I can move the pier leaving as much of the original wall in tact as possible but i'm worried the planning officer will not allow this then stop me from being able to get the opening at all.

As a footnote, although my house is 1 of only 2 in the street the wall is the same as almost all the other properties on the road and the majority have been modified in some way to allow access or just lowered.

Thanks

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.