torjones

House boat interior help needed

torjones
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello all

We have recently purchased a wide beam canal boat, which I will be living on for a couple of years in London. It has been beautifully (and expensively) fitted out in an art deco style, however this is not to my personal taste. I am therefore looking for a way to lighten and modernise the interior, and would be grateful for any ideas!

The interior has been lined with a mixture of wood - mainly American Oak, Maple and British Oak, with an even darker wood floor. Combined with the portholes, this makes the interior of the boat rather dark.

My parents (experienced boat owners) have kindly helped me to purchase the boat, and we will be looking to sell it on again in a few years. They are keen to retain the 'integrity' of the boat as much as possible ready for the resale and would probably choose to keep the boat as it is, but are keen for me to feel comfortable and happy in my surroundings while I am living on there. We are therefore keen to find a compromise in terms of how we can brighten/modernise the boat without destroying the structure, and therefore keep both parties happy.

We have agreed to rip out the fitted sofas as they are so large and inflexible, and rather dark in colour, and I am hoping to replace this with a (probably mid grey) L-shaped sofa bed (see pic). We all agree that some white-ish paint would probably work wonders, but my parents are keen to minimise how much of the wood work is covered. I have suggested the upper half of the walls.

We would all be grateful for any suggestions that you may have!

Many thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.