rupattni

Brick terrace vs composite decking

rupattni
7 years ago

We've just build a rear (full width) extension and need to add either a decked terrace or raised patio linking house to garden, because the garden is a couple of feet lower than the house. We previously had a decked terrace (where the extension now sits) that was made of standard wood decking but it had started to splinter and would get really slippery in winter (algae growth). We have young kids so slippery decking is a real hazard. Its a west facing garden so gets afternoon sun but sometimes in bad weather just wouldnt dry out. So the problem we have is, we dont want the same type of decking but we've been warned that building a brick terrace would be costly as the wall at the end would require foundations to stop the concrete slipping. Is that correct? We've also looked at Millboard (composite) decking but arent keen on the look - just seems really plastic-y. However it looks like the most cost effective option. Any other good ideas? Has anyone compared quotes for these two options?

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.