Half glazed external door with openable window

Gillian L
17 July, 2017

Hello

Is there any such thing as a wooden, half glazed door which has an openable part in the glazed section (tilt, sash, top hung). We are not looking for a stable door type arrangement.

It's for use in a utility room and will have a cat flap in wooden section, glazing to allow light into the room, and the openable window is to allow ventilation.

Suggestions appreciated.

• Daisy England
    It's not standard but a joiner would make a bespoke one for you.
  • Gillian L

Thanks Daisy. Do you think it would be with a standard door and the glazing made to fit?

Man About The House - The DIY & Odd Job Handyman

You may be able to get this made to order from a window and door company. You can have cat / dog flaps fitted in glass, it doesn't have to be wood. We have one for our dogs, you order the flap, give it to the door company and they order it with the hole needed for the flap, which you then fit. I can't see why they couldn't put an openable window in it.

If you're set on wood, then i'd just get a carpenter to make a window to fit the door and then re-glaze the portion underneath.

I once put a stained glass window in a front door, if it's wood it's a lot easier to make all sorts.

Gillian L thanked Man About The House - The DIY & Odd Job Handyman
  • LTS
    I'm looking for a utility door too & am sure I saw something like that recently. I'll see if I can find it & will check the brochures later.
  • LTS
    Sorry, it's a stable door which has a tilt and turn window option & I think it was UPVC.
    Gillian L thanked LTS
    French and Westcott

Hi Gillian, we make bespoke doors and windows to the design specifications of our clients. Please do send me an email with the dimensions and I will get a quote for you.

Thanks, Sophie

• Gillian L

Thanks Sophie. At the moment I was wanting to find out if such a thing existed. Given that it looks like there may not be an off the shelf product, we'll talk to our builder.