webuser_623321369

Feasibility of Opening up Kitchen (taking down supporting/ex-external

Lewis Carr
2 years ago

st here, just looking for initial thoughts from people on the feasibility of opening up a kitchen on a house I'm looking to buy. All will be done correctly with structural engineer etc, but I'd hate to buy the house to later find its a 'no-go' as I hate the current layout.

I'd like to shift the utility stuff into garage (why have a utility with such a massive built in garage?!) which I'm not worried about. I'd like to then remove both kitchen-to-utility walls as marked on the floorplan. The horizontal one is just stud, but the vertical one is supporting the external wall of the house above.

QU - throwing the best RSJ money can buy at the problem; is there any reason why the load bearing kitchen-to-utility wall (vertical on floorplan) can't come down?

Also curious what size of columns would be required (as in depth off internal face of wall), 300mm would be absolutely fine but, the current one on the back wall comes into the room about 600-700mm.

Would look to have beam buried into ceiling as much as possible, but don't mind having some kind of bulkhead.

Just want to open that room up and get an island in!

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.