jade_bambrough

Too much faff and expense? Opening kitchen up & moving bathroom U/stai

Jade Bambrough
6 years ago

Hi all,

First time posting for advice, always been a lurker but just as of today put an offer in on a home and it's all becoming a little more real now!

Our issues are that the space as it is just does not function, and we know it wouldn't work for us. I always use the bathroom at night so I know I will need a bathroom upstairs or a toilet at the very least (but would make sense to do a full bathroom if we have to pay for plumbing etc anyway) and the kitchen is beyond tiny, it's like 4m x 1.8m with doors in awkward places so there isn't much worktop space at all.

What I'm thinking is, I don't want to lose a bedroom, but I want the bathroom upstairs so I've done a bit of fiddling with numbers and on paint and come up with the below layout/proposed shape. This would mean we don't need to build an extension or anything like that, we would just need to reconfigure the existing space. See below for a bit of a guide:

My questions are, would the above design be expensive to achieve? It would involve moving an upstairs window and buying another window for bathroom and getting that fitted, moving a wall and building x2 partition walls upstairs (have no idea if wall connecting b1 and b2 is load bearing??) and then knocking through all of downstairs beyond kitchen, but again I don't know if this would need re-enforcing as the wall that will be knocked down looks to be part of the original exterior wall of the house, or whether we'd need an RSJ etc... Picture from the outside to see if this helps...

What do we think?? Expensive?? The alternative is that we build a small ensuite from larger bedroom into the right hand corner of bedroom 2 and install a small window, and then buy a new kitchen for tiny existing kitchen but keep everything pretty much the same (but, after we put dimensions etc into the ikea design planner, the space looked uncomfortably cramped and not big enough to house everything we currently use and would like to continue using.

Any advice on feasibility/sensibility/practicality/financial things to consider more than appreciated!!!! x

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.