clare_preskett

Thinking about switching rooms

Clare P
last month

Hi everyone,

I'm buying a house (it's 7 years old) and currently it has a separate kitchen and a large lounge/diner. I'm contemplating switching it around so that it has a small lounge and then turning the larger room into a kitchen/diner because I feel like that will have a better flow and a nicer feel. However I know that moving all of the services is an expensive business... (I will probably leave the boiler where it is). My thinking for this is 1) I like to be able to talk to people when I cook, and the isolated kitchen makes it more difficult and 2) I plan to get a flatmate and so like the idea of having a lounge that can shut off if one of us is entertaining friends. For context I will replace the kitchen anyway, so thought this switch would be a really nice option. I also plan to live in the house for a long time, so want to make it work for my needs. But also don't want to make a mistake! Attached are a couple of floor plans (before & after).

The other (cheaper) options would be to add in a lovely big 'hatch' with a breakfast bar that can be shut off, or adding a small table / bar option in the kitchen.

Would really appreciate some thoughts and other perspectives!

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.