designsalmon

What do you think I should do about this old dresser?

designsalmon
8 years ago

Dear fellow design junkies, we just bought a Victorian house, and there is an old wooden dresser (see picture) in the kitchen next to the fireplace. I'd always found it charming, but hadn't realised it was built in till we got the keys to the house and realised it's still here!

The previous owner left us some photos of the house taken about 2 decades ago, and the dresser was in one of the photos (albeit painted white). This made me think this thing may be older than I thought, perhaps really quite old??

It's made of a type of hardwood, and just smells and feels (to the touch) old. The wood is well worn, the inside of the drawers also shows its age.

The house itself was built before 1910 (so perhaps more Edwardian than Victorian), is there any chance this thing may even be original? Did kitchens/sculleries from that era have built in dressers? Original or not, I find it very attractive, and would like to try incorporate it into our new kitchen (perhaps shaker style), any ideas on how?? Thanks!

Tha

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Sort Our Stuff
    8 years ago
    It is never going to be 'worth' anything as it isn't freestanding so it may better to customise it to make a contemporary open storage area. The handles are cool and should be saved for reuse. Personally I'd paint it in a matt grey as this would show off the brass cup handles beautifully. If you really want to go to town you could wallpaper behind the shelves to add a real feature.

More importantly I think you should remove the paint on the fireplace next to it then black lead it. It is a wonderful example of art nouveau.
  • designsalmon
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Sort Out Stuff for your good advice. You sound quite knowledgeable about fireplaces! This house has quite a few fireplaces all with fairly vibrant tiles (here is another example). Interesting you commented on the fireplace in the kitchen, as we were actually thinking of removing it and replacing it with a range hooker in the chimney breast. I feel a bit on the fence about this though, may start another thread about my kitchen layout!

• Related Discussions

what should i do with my decorative old drums?

Q

Comments (9)
    Aww these are pretty amazing just as they are and I'd leave them as is. If you REALLY wanted to do something might it be possible to set them on hairpin legs (like these: http://www.theironmill.co.uk/online-shop/4583956081 ) and make 2 fab side tables?
    ...See More

What do you think about reconstructing an old stone villa?

Q

Comments (2)
    This is a beautiful piece of the modern architecture clean lines and materials. My advice is you like to reconstructing make sure you keep some signature elements of the building like the big windows. So bring your needs and personality in it but still keep the originality of this amazing villa.
    ...See More

Old fashioned fitted wardrobes, what should I do with them ?

Q

Comments (18)
    Hi, there’s no great need for backs and base on the wardrobe. My parents don’t have them it gives more space. Dividers you’ll get at a timber merchant. But if you prefer a proper base B&Q will cut wood to size or it could be better putting some cheap wood flooring in if easier to cut or a fresh piece of carpet. Otherwise I’d wash down the walls and a good hoover and you’re good to go. https://kitchenandbedroomdoors.co.uk does wardrobe doors. For a modern look I would recommend non-gloss/Matt white, pale grey or pale-caramel colours, plain or shaker style design doors, and either door types with no handles required(it won’t date), black handles or brass handles. Depends of course on your preference. I would advise getting someone to hang the doors otherwise you’ll be fixated on any slight imperfections! Personal experience 😉 If you want handles the right choice makes a huge difference and there are loads of cool places online. Check out other peoples wardrobes in Houzz for ideas. Have fun!
    ...See More

What do you think about painting?

Q

Comments (2)
    I also think it is hung up a tad too high, but I think it works well since the table and chairs are dark. The lamp might be centred so that it is illuminating the painting and creates a layered effect. although the ideal way to do it is to use a spot light. But you don't need to make your house into a museum gallery, so I think you should have some freedom.
    ...See More
  • imogenburrows
    8 years ago
    Agree about the fireplace - strip it, it'll look gorgeous. I wouldn't remove the other fireplace though it's beautiful and original features are always great. Depends how much space you have in the rest of the room though!
    As for the dresser, it's lovely. I'd want to keep it too. Grey paint would make the handles stand out, but the wood is a lovely colour do I guess it depends what feel you want in the room and the rest of your furniture.
  • designsalmon
    Original Author
    8 years ago

https://www.houzz.co.uk/photos/4196722/victorian-terrace-contemporary-kitchen-london

Above is an interesting combination of an old dresser with a modern kitchen, I think it looks really unusual and makes the modern kitchen look cosier.

Imogenburrows I know I should keep the fireplace, but it just feel somewhat indulgent to keep a fireplace in the kitchen but it may disrupt the flow of the kitchen... Hmm really should start a new thread!

• PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It definitely looks original. I live in an Edwardian flat built in 1906. We have a built-in dresser and I would never dream of removing it. It was already painted white with tongue and groove as a backing and the counter left oak which we clean and wax occasionally.

The rest of the kitchen is an awful cheap 80s version which I've used as a canvas for now to hide the old doors until we install a new one. As ours is already painted I would be ok painting it a different colour so it is at least 'in conversation' with the new kitchen but don't want it too matchy matchy so may also keep it white depending on what other colours I use in the kitchen. People usually love it and ooh and aah over it, like I said, adds warmth and makes the room special, and a bit different. I lean towards the very modern and even dramatic so am pondering myself how to marry the two, and there will be a way, even just the colour maybe or not.

As yours is already stripped it would be a shame to paint over it although I can understand why you would, just take the time to consider. It may be worth painting a large piece of paper, taking one of the handles off if they just unscrew and wrapping the paper around the drawer and re-attaching the handle to see how it would look.

Consider making it a stand out piece rather than blend it in too much. From what I can see you can just leave it as it is and just use it. Also as it doesn't 'touch' the rest of the kitchen and is in a corner then even easier to make it special. You could put some lovely big baskets underneath to hide re-cycling or for things like potatoes and onions, or a wine rack. Old items add warmth to often clinical man-made surfaces and appliances in kitchens and yours is gorgeous.

Remember to post 'after' photos!

Photo is of my built-in dresser with current 'making-do' kitchen and additional cupboards until new modern kitchen materialises. It has brass handles on the bottom bit that were painted over so have been removed for cleaning.

designsalmon thanked Stella Michael
  • Jeanette Card
    8 years ago

I definitely would not paint the dresser, check if it has been polished or varnished, if sticky probably been varnished, if so I would give a light sanding to remove varnish. It will clog up your sandpaper quickly if it varnish. Clean up and polish. Looks good with a strong colour on the wall between shelves, makes the lovely honey colour of the wood stand out and gives a real warmth to the kitchen

designsalmon thanked Jeanette Card
  • designsalmon
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone for all your input and strong support for this lovely old dresser!! The general consensus is definitely to not paint it, which I must say I agree with. Jeanette - thank you for the tips on varnish, I will check next time I'm in the house.

Stellahome, your picture of your original Edwardian dresser has really convinced me that mine is most likely original also. I notice the way your shelving gets wider as you go up a level, and mine is exactly the same! You can't see it from the picture but there are also little hooks along the shelves, presumably for mugs etc. This dresser is the sturdiest thing ever, the drawers are very very roomy (as yours seem to be), much like the dimensions of kitchen drawers by the likes of Plain English and DeVol Kitchens, I hadn't realised how much their kitchens have been influenced by past designs. By the way, I'm curious how you know the exact year in which your house was built, how did you find this out?

Niki Markwick, I'm exactly the same as you, obsessed with original features and antiques, how old everything is etc, I've even been researching into the past residents of the house, this house has really captured my imagination (I've always lived in fairly modern flats). You sound very creative with the use of scaffold planks (!), post a picture for us!! I'm also really taken by these Victorian/Edwardian floor tiles, but most of the house (incl hallway and half of kitchen) has original floorboards so will keep to the originals. Yours looks beautiful, where are your tiles from? I've attached a couple of pictures of my hallway and my front door (I thought you might appreciate the stained glass windows).

I'm going to take a picture of my interior doors as I believe these are original also, they have been painted over, yet the paint seems to be covering some sort of pattern underneath, will try take a picture tomorrow and see what you guys think!

• Niki Markwick
    8 years ago
    Hello there!

I'm all for research too and luckily have every single deed dating back to when my house was built in 1804 ... It celebrated its 211th birthday yesterday and crazy fool that I am, I put up a birthday banner and wished it many happy returns. I still have all the original sash windows and although some of them need a bit of a helping hand/shove!! to open, I'm so pleased to have them instead of their younger UPVC cousins

My tiles cost, wait for it, just over £2 each from Tile Magic and they look absolutely fab down. When I tell people what I paid for them they are absolutely astonished. Even if you added a 0 after the 2 people would pay it and they're 33x33 so go down in no time

Am attaching two photos ...

1. of my scaffold board work surface. They required a fair bit of sanding and the draining grooves were down with a router. I then used lots of yacht varnish and hey presto, job done for a fraction of the price

and

2. I also used some old wine crates, stainless steel cup handles, some hefty and some slightly more lightweight lumps of timber, scraps of copper pipe, an old clothes rail and the rest of a scaffold board to build this butcher(type) block. Very cheap, looks good and is extremely handy for all my pots and pans etc

I LOVE your stained glass front door. Absolutely fab and I bet when the sun shines through it, your hallway looks beautiful inside. Veeeery jealous

Last but not least, I have to ask, are you going to paint the spindles on the staircase and get a nice runner? I bought an offcut of carpet and had a co-ordinating edge added to tie in with my hall tiles and it really came out well. A number of times when I've opened my front door, people have said that it draws them inside and that being the case, all I would say is they're welcome to visit any time, especially when clutching a bottle of something wet and wild!
  • hortonhearsawho2013
    8 years ago

Interesting! Agree with not painting, would look very nice with a shelf & baskets added to the bottom to make it more functional. I'm interested in how much room you have if you don't remove the fireplace. To me, a kitchen is a workplace and needs to be functional. I have a period home and am very pro keeping original features but I don't think you'll loose resale value by removing the fireplace.

designsalmon thanked hortonhearsawho2013
  • designsalmon
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Niki Markwick, your worktop looks really beautiful! very solid and nice natural colour, I never would have guessed where they came from! You've done a lovely job with the kitchen, with all the cosy touches, no doubt saving a lot of money along the way. Am currently going through the same process, and I thought I knew ebay but I am just rediscovering it again, all the bargains on there, unbelievable...

I said I'd post some pictures of the doors (the white one is the door from back lounge to the side return), as I have been wondering what is underneath all this paint? Especially this pattern on the panels, is it wood or glass?? doesn't feel like glass when I tap it...am mystified, should I get rid of all this paint, and expose the wood? what would it have been like originally? Painted or not?

On the topic of that painted fireplace next to the old dresser in the kitchen, I took a picture of it to a reputable fireplace shop (ward antiques fireplaces in southeast London for those interested, they stock incredible fireplaces and encaustic tiles), the guy said it is indeed Art Nouveau and he priced it at £3000, which I think is really optimistic, especially considering it is missing a hood! Still, definitely one to hang on to if I can at all help it, the fireplace guy also gave me some good advice about other missing parts on my other fireplaces (missing bars and grates), and when I went home and looked, quite a few were stuffed behind their respective hoods (covered in decades of dust and ash), it's like the house that keeps on giving!

For those wondering about the dimensions of the kitchen, it is currently 6.7m by 2.8m, we are hoping to extend it into the side by 6.7m x 2.4m, so there should be room for the old dresser and fireplace.

What an essay I've written, please help me figure out these doors!

• PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago

As your door plates match and your fireplace is art nouveau then it's probable the door panels are also original with that nouveau look. It's worth considering using a bit of mild paint stripper on a bottom inner corner to see what's underneath. The white one will be easy to repaint. What are the others painted with? It looks like metallic paint. Looking at them again the detail also has a slight 30s feel but that's not a reason to change them, it's part of the history of the house and adds interest. I really like them,

It looks like you already have a lot of dark wood or similar so I would leave the doors as they are. Too much of anything can be a bit overwhelming.

A good place to know is http://www.lassco.co.uk/ they have several sites in and around London. They can also identify things for you if you're stuck and have all sorts or wonderful salvage things ... and probably point you in the right direction if they can't help.

designsalmon thanked Stella Michael
  • Amber
    8 years ago

Gosh aren't you lucky to have two wonderful features in your new home. Dressers are great for all sorts of things you can display food or storage jars you could have China, books anything. Enjoy it and make it work for you and your individual style.

• Sam Hill
    8 years ago
    I love it. It looks as if it's in an awkward position.
    I think the finish on the wood could probably fit any style.
    If you don't want to use it as a dresser, you could use it as: a bookcase, a desk, a sideboard.......
    But I'd keep it - and its part of the house. It's quirky and I like it.
    Plus, as another Houzzer pointed out, those handles are great! Give them a bit of Brasso and they'll look as good as new!
    Best of luck with all your ado with your home.
    designsalmon thanked Sam Hill
  • hilly_mcgrew
    8 years ago

We've got a built in cupboard in our late Edwardian (c.1910-1912) terraced house too. Keep it! Why? Because:

A) you'll never ever find anything that fits the space as well as a built in;

B) unless in a dire state of disrepair you'd be mad to remove a period feature from your home. I mean, I assume you bought an Edwardian/Victorian house because you like Edwardian/Victorian style and architecture;

C) it's a talking point. No one else can have one. They can pay for similar, but it's not the same as something with the feel and patina of age already on it;

D) if your home is anything like ours, with original plaster on the walls, then if you pull this dresser out the likelihood is all the remaining plaster will have to be redone and you end up spending thousands just putting the walls back together again.

E) I love ours. It hold so much kitchen, dining room and just other detritus. It's well made. Aesthetically, it was designed to fit the space. What's not to like?

• PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago

designsalmon you asked about how I knew which year my building was built. It's easy for me as it's on the actual building (for some reason I have 1906 in my head but it's 1903). I suspect it would also be on your house deeds if you own the freehold.

• designsalmon
    Original Author
    8 years ago

wow stellahome, what a grand house and entrance! I'm intrigued! Do you have many original features left in the house? servant bells maybe? :) Post some pictures for us!

I am very familiar with lassco, in fact I currently live 5 mins away from there, and pop in often, they have many wonderful items which really enhance an old house.

Took a couple of more pictures today of the dresser, as even though it looks very worn, look at the dovetail joint details! They certainly don't make them like this anymore (unless you pay a hefty price for it!)

• PRO
    H E Savill Period Cabinet Fittings
    8 years ago

Our traditional style fittings would look good on your furniture take a look at vast range www.hesavill.co.uk

designsalmon thanked H E Savill Period Cabinet Fittings
  • designsalmon
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You have some lovely stuff, thanks for the link!

• Caroline
    8 years ago

Strip the pain from the fire place. Also, as for the victorian desk, it depends what you want to achieve with the room, in terms of the style you want to go for.

My only concern at the moment, is how close that desk is to the door. Does it bang into the desk easy?

• User
    8 years ago

I would strip the paint from the fireplace first, the dresser may look even better then but it's the paint job on the fireplace that's spoiling everything.

• ejfkaiser
    7 years ago

Horrified by the number of people who would strip out original features and are egging you on to do the same! If you want modern, go buy a modern house and leave the character of the old intact. Original featurers are like the wrinkles on an old, much-loved and cherished face! The corner dresser is probably original, although the room could possibly have been the breakfast room or parlour, combined with the back kitchen to make a larger room at a later date? Please enhance old property everyone, and stop the vandalism!

• Daisy England
    7 years ago
    Why do posts get resurrected after such a length of time when the original poster has most likely already done the work?
  • louisecampbell09
    7 years ago
    ejfkaiser...everyone means strip the paint...not strip out the cupboard and doors. Relax! and yes daisy this work will have all been done..and paint stripped haha
  • PRO
    Rodrigo Pissarra, Building Technician
    6 years ago

I would redo the dresser varnish to give it an uplift, and would try to match the hardwood floor varnish to the one on the dresser. The fireplace could be used to integrate the environment, making a contrast, maybe, you could try to discover its original colour and work on it!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.