raj_chavda_92

Having a nightmare!!!!

raj_chavda_92
28 September, 2018
I have chosen to undergo the task of building a garden shed. Initially I had much promise for, however the change in weather has caused me to make many decisions in haste. I am now halfway though the build and feel completely unhappy with how it's coming together. I am reluctant to make any major steps back in the way of construction but if it needs be to have something I am proud, I will do so. I do love the traditional Victorian style and have added two of the pictures which inspired me in the first place. Any advice to save this project would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

• E D

Do you have a drawing or similar of your design that you can post here?

• E D

It doesn't look too bad to me so far. What is your concern?

Need help with kitchen worktops

Hi Tom. There is so much to choose from: natural - including marble (needs a little more maintenance) and granite and non-natural materials, such as quartz or Corian. It is down to what kind of look you are wanting to achieve and whether you wish the floor to match the worktop or to compliment it. If you are looking for something maintenance free and with a modern look, then I guess man-made quartz is your best bet. Man-made quartz is Man-made quartz is achieved by mixing crushed quartz with poly-structural resin, and vacuum pressed. The result is a non-porous material with outstanding characteristics, which is suitable for many interior applications, including kitchen worktops. But this is only an option. I will be happy to investigate options for you. In the meantime, feel free to check the website for inspiration: www.paolointeriors.co.uk I hope this helps. Paolo

Need help on vacuum for plush carpets!

Whatever you do decide, try a carpet groomer. With a deep pile carpet vacuuming leaves some pretty severe lines that can be quite distracting. https://www.cleanstore.co.uk/products/Product.asp?ID=2300

Guest bedroom

It's good there's plenty of light, North facing rooms are notoriously difficult to decorate. Northern light is very cool, so it's best to stay away from cool colours like grey, blue and blue based greens. White can feel gloomy with northern light too, choose colours with a creamy yellow base or red based, you need the colour to have warmth. Have a look at Dulux Timeless Classics - there's some lovely colours and quite a few warm tones. A pro on here has recommended the colour Bone China in this range. I'd keep the bedding a plain crisp white but then add colour with a throw and cushions - lovely ones on White company but not cheap. Keep the curtains white or pale linen in a lightweight fabric and add a blind for the practicalities of sleeping. It might help you to create an ideabook by looking through the photo section on Houzz.

Corner plot garden help!

Without an express grant of planning permission you can only put a 1m high fence/wall up next to a highway so in this case, the front and the side. What is considered to be "next" to a highway is a matter of interpretation. Otherwise, you can put up to a 2m fence or wall up. You can replace any existing fences on a like for like height basis without planning permission also. It is highly unlikely you would ever get permission to put up a 2m high fence to the front and its doubtful for the side too next to the highway. However, you could apply with a scheme to set back the fence to the side garden to lessen the impact which could smooth the way for a grant of planning permisison for a higher fence. One alternative is to plant a hedge (with or without a 1m fence / wall to the front and side). These are not subject to the 1m / 2m rules (providing you don't get into high hedge territory). You would then have privacy and security. I hope that helps.
  • nchavda88
    it looks like it's a little bit out of proportion. The roof looks small especially the triangle over the door.
  • raj_chavda_92
    Sorry I don't have an actual image but I tried to blend two pictures I was inspired from. The yellow brick of the first and the structure and style of the grey cladded shed.
  • raj_chavda_92
    As nchavda88 said I think it's out of proportion. I feel as if I went to the barbers and had too much taken off from the top lol. Is there anyway we could do to give the appearance of height
  • E D

Are there planning permission issues with regards to the total height?

• raj_chavda_92
    we are restricted to a maximum height of 2.5m
  • E D

Ok, so does that mean you can still raise the roof?

Literally I mean... :)

All the pictures you like have a ridge that is over 3m high. It sounds like you are trying to be Luik day within permitted development.
    So you have a few options:-
    1/ continue to build and accept that it will look different from your inspiration pictures.
    2/ apply for planning permission to build this with a taller roof.
    3/ slightly alter the design to improve the look- I would swap the windows for narrower deeper ones that trick your eye into thinking the building is taller, remove the gable above the door as it shows the shallow roof pitch, add an interesting ridge tile to give the illusion of height.
    4/ have a steeply pitched roof but lower the roof- this would necessitate putting in lower windows. (If you do this it might suit you to have a shallow pitch on the back
    OnePlan
    There’s been a blend of trying to get the look you like in the dark shed - but while giving you adequate headroom inside. Looks like the builder has the internal usable space inside as their priority - and sounds like maybe your priority is more how it looks from outside ?

Is it going to be used as a shed - ie literally to store garden appliances ? If so - and the exterior look is so important - I’d suggest you lower the windows and roof so it’s inline with the look and pitch while staying in the regulation height .

If it’s going to be used as extra living space - I’d let the builder carry on at these heights and enjoy the extra internal headroom it provides .

Hope that maybe helps a little ??
  • Charnelle
    The proportions are off. I would remove the triangular pitch and go with a plain roof, maybe with a decorative roof tile similar to Johnathan's suggestion along the top. I also think the windows are a tad high. Could they come down a little?
  • rachelmidlands
    Another option may be to extend the roof forward slightly so it overhangs the windows. Windows would need to be lower and the doorway narrower to accommodate steeper angle on the centre triangle roof bit (not sure what the correct term is). Brackets or posts might be needed to support this. Personally I would try to obtain planning permission to build a steeper roof pitch to get it to look how you want it to.
  • raj_chavda_92
    Thank you for all your suggestions especially RachelMidlands. Absolutely love it. It has been a massive help. I was also wondering if up and down wall lighters would give the perception of height if used correctly. The next question would be where to place them.
  • raj_chavda_92
    As an update I like to tell you, that I've decided to extend the front triangle forward and to mimic a porch. As suggested by some of you (Thank you soo much). Bringing the look of the roof down further and keep my head dry when looking for the keys. I am currently taking a break for a week and have just placed the fascia boards and guttering willynilly, as it's going to rain (before any criticism of how massive they currently are). However during this break, I would love to hear any further suggestions you may have regarding the shed or the garden itself.
  • raj_chavda_92
    Current progress
  • rachelmidlands
    Hi Raj. My hats off to you:) I’m impressed by the fact you’re doing all this yourself! Not something I could do that’s for sure. I’m glad you squared off the back of the roof as this gives you the height inside. What will it be used for? Shed for storage, summerhouse, home office? You’ve got a really good sized garden and I think a lot can be done with it. When the shed is near sorted out, think about the hard landscaping, patios etc. Personally I’d go for two patios, one outside the house and one in front of shed and link the two with a curvy or staggered path way with some nice planting on either side. Gather some images of gardens you like and note what you like about them. Also list what you want in the garden, i.e. space for bbq, lawn for kids, seating in shaded or sunny position, low maintenance, plants etc. I’m not a pro but I do love gardening so do hope I’ve helped a little. With regards lighting, I’d go for uplighters near ground level, should show off your handiwork nicely:-).
  • raj_chavda_92
    Primarily it's a shed first, I seriously don't know how I've accumulated so much stuff. I will not use it as a habitable space but feel the need to have WIFI and music for when hosting BBQs and Children's birthdays. My concern is that the garden will appear quite boring, lacking character and charm. I do want curves however my brain only seems to see straight lines.
  • rachelmidlands
    He he. Nothing wrong with straight lines:) How about changing the angle and having diagonals...lawn, pathways etc. Not sure if I’m making sense but here’s some inspiration photos.
  • Emily
    A “cross” shape garden path could be nice especially with a bench. Pic shows two benches but think I prefer one with an interesting large planter where the other is rather than planter in middle of cross.
  • Sonia
    I love straight lines in a garden. Remember beautiful Islamic paradise gardens which are all straight lines and lush planting. The middle of the cross is usually a traditional water feature, or it can be a piece of art or a large pot. However I like curves in a garden too!
  • raj_chavda_92
    I love these designs, this community is truly amazing. However I don't think I could maintain and tend to so many plants. Im not completely hopeless though, I can mow a lawn that could rival any football stadium. I do agree the garden does need to split into smaller sections (giving it an overall pattern/shape) also needing a captivating focal point. I've always wanted a floral archway (It has been a secret of mine). I'm not sure if I should just give up on that idea. I'm still struggling to visualise how I can incorporate all these styles in my garden whilst also keeping it clean and manageable.
  • raj_chavda_92
    I have a few design concepts which I would love to share with you but they are far from polished. Does anyone know of landscaping website or program, I could use?
  • Emily
    Some of the pics do show advance level gardens for sure! But they can be cleverly simplified so don’t necessarily discount them. Strategic planting can give a flavour without being too high maintenance. And looking at your pics you clearly are working hard and think it’s going to be fab.
  • raj_chavda_92
    Hey everyone, I've done a thing. Earlier today, I attempted some sort of design. But I have two concerns I didn't know how to address.

1) I use a rotary dryer at the rear of my garden, how could I possibly hide it from eyesight when in use.

2) Do I need something captivating on the left hand side. So it doesn't seem so uncharacteristic and boring.

If I'm overlooking anything please let me know.
  • Sonia
    Get rid of the rotary dryer and use a retractable line instead. Attach it to a post or the house wall and a hook at the other end of the garden. The line retracts when not in use. Available from most supermarkets or diy stores and eBay. So much tidier that a rotary dryer.
  • rachelmidlands
    Agree with forza about the washing line. A retractable one takes up far less space and won’t spoil the view of the garden. Your design is simple but practical however I would suggest bringing the pathway around to the shed door . When we moved into our house a few years back, first thing I wanted was an arch with roses and climbing flowers so you’re not the only one :-). Not sure about apps or web page for garden design as I tend to scribble things on paper. Got a little time this morning so I might sketch some ideas for you. Here’s my cheaply cobbled together arch, although not looking it’s best atm, rose still has some way to go but the conteneaster (red berries) is loving it.
  • rachelmidlands
    Here we go. Just a few rough sketches and not to scale btw but it’s just to give you a few ideas. I tried to make the arch a feature in each one as well. I like the circular lawn one the most as the flow is really nice. Plus the arch won’t block the view of the shed and it gives you a little secret area at the back:-). Like I said, it’s a great size garden so there are loads of possibilities.
  • Sonia

Wow rachelmidlands what great designs. My garden is mostly straight lines and I had to quickly scribble a design for the builder as he was ready to go after building the garage! So much pressure. But of course, as you know, it is the planting that softens a garden and makes it sing. Love your arch - may have to get one now! I also love obelisks, a great way to add height to a garden. Raj this is a picture of my garden and it shows how the plants soften and blur the edges. The other pic is in my Ideasbook and such a simple but effective design.

My wee garden

The Old Garden · More Info

How simple is this design? Wide paths flanked by borders and grass in the middle.

• raj_chavda_92

I can't believe its been 2months since the last post. I just thought I'd update those that are still interested in how the project is / not progressing so far. I've followed @rachealmidlands first sketch as they were amazing! Since then, I have laid majority of the patio and dug my very own soakaway. Having spent so long in cold I've almost come a snowman and decided to take a break till after the new year. However it seems I can not switch off this silly brain of mine and have come across a iron gazebo which I think looks beautiful! (please refer to pictures as I have no clue what it's called). I'm not sure if it will be too overwhelming in the garden or exactly what it needs. Thank you for all your help, this community is honestly amazing.

• Sonia

Looks great. The gazebo is beautiful and imagine how stunning it would look when climbers are scrambling through it. I think you deserve to be in the warm! I’m a fair weather gardener so won’t be doing much until March.

• rachelmidlands
    The patio looks great! I’m glad you liked my sketch and hope it’s helped a little:) I love the iron gazebo/pergola thingy (I’m not sure what to call it either) and think it will make a wonderful addition. But get inside and have a warm! I’m with forza and remain dormant over the winter except for scooping up dog poop, putting bins out and planning what to do in the garden when spring arrives. Hope all goes well:)
  • nchavda88

Just thought I'd give you an update now the path is almost done! As always, any comments are greatly appreciated!!

• Sonia
    Very nice path. The edging really finishes it off. Well done.
  • Luigi

I'm loving this 'transormation' thread. It's great that everone is so invested in it! We cvan all learn from some of the posters on here...

• Emmanuelle
    Great transformation Raj! ... and I enjoyed peeping into all the different lovely gardens posted... feeling inspired and ready for spring!
  • raj_chavda_92

We have light!!!!!

I've just finished the lighting today and I am so chuffed! but before I poor myself a glass of wine, I wanted to ask everyone for there suggestions and opinions yet again. I feel like the garden is imbalanced, some areas are well lit and some areas draw no attention or interest in the evening. I was thinking of either wiring lights on the left hand side or wiring uplighters to the center of the lawn where I was thinking of planting a tree as a focal point almost. If you could possibly cast a vote for your favourite option or even have an alternative suggestion. I would love to hear it.

• rachelmidlands
    Hi Raj. That looks amazing! :-). I agree and think it needs a little more light on the left. I love it when special plants, trees and architectural features are highlighted at night, makes it look magical. Are you still toying with the idea of a pergola or gazebo thingy? That would look spectacular with a low level flood light. Your garden is coming along brilliantly btw (I’m envious:)) all that hard work is really paying off, can’t wait too see how it looks when finished.
  • raj_chavda_92

Thank you very much! Initially I was drawn to the pagola but its priced at around £1000. Were as a tree as a focal point would cost significantly less. I can't explain how much deliberation has been made for either design and I still can't seem to decide :'( . What do you think?

• raj_chavda_92

As it has been a while since my last post, I thought I'd currently update the everyone who's input has helped prune my garden project into shape. I have gone ahead and purchased the iron gazebo and will have it errect by next week, I will attached pictures in due course. So stay tuned ! But my newest dilemma is the boundary fence, I personally don't like the look of having my neighbors fence towering over mine but not sure what would be the best option to rectify such an eyesore. Should I just wait for nature to take its course and wait for the shrubs to reach the same height or do you believe I should add some kind of privacy panel/ trellis????

• rachelmidlands
    That is a rather large fence isn’t it! I’d pop a bit of trellis up and grow a couple climbers to fill any gaps between shrubs. Clematis Montana is fairly fast growing and looks great in spring but I think many climbers will love that sunny position. Honeysuckle, jasmine, Passion flower etc. (just be aware that clematis likes it’s roots in the shade where it’s cool and damp). I have a similar situation with my neighbour as their garden is higher than ours and I attached some expanding trellis with zip ties to their fence so as not to damage it. Now growing a beautiful climbing rose and may need some more trellis at this rate (see pic). Since your fence is separate I think you can get panels that sit on top. Can’t wait to see the pergola:))
  • raj_chavda_92

Garden update

• E D

From a “nightmare!!!!” (yes four exclamation marks...) to a dream.

:-)

It‘s looking great.

• Sonia
    Wow that looks amazing! A great entertaining space, well done.
  • rachelmidlands
    Looking Fabulous! The shed is really coming along and the iron gazebo..... I love it! So beautiful. Well worth the investment and I think it will look great for many years to come. Well done:)
  • Patrina
    Looks amazing:-)
  • 1stgarden

Wow what a job, well done!