Kitchen Reno after years of planning
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (775)
Related Discussions
TELL US: What are your kitchen renovation plans for 2016?
Comments (22)My kitchen refit starts 3 weeks today but won't be finished until next year when I have decided on the splash backs. This has been a project 2 years in the making due to several builders agreeing to do the work only to never hear from them again & also some very poor service from kitchen shops. Finally I have a builder on board who will move a doorway to accommodate the new position for my fridge freezer and fit a Second Nature kitchen in elm that is to replace an old cream shaker one. Most of the appliances are staying as they are newish but for the first time I will have a dishwasher, a wall mounted oven so I can see what is cooking & a Franke under mounted corner sink which was a brand new ebay bargain. I am switching from gas to a white induction hob that will hopefully fit seamlessly into white quartz countertops. I am so excited, all this in a 2.6m x 2.8m kitchen. I have also asked the countertop peeps to smooth off an additional piece of quartz to fit the sink aperture so I can use that as additional work space. I am boring my boyfriend with endlessly searching for the best deals on things and trying my luck haggling which is not usually like me but lots of fun! Good luck everyone with your projects; I look forward to seeing the 'after' pictures. alant1000 - I love your new kitchen, it looks fab!...See MoreHome layout dilema after plans approved for extension into barn
Comments (28)Hi Minnie, Thanks for this. You've had some serious thought into my predicament. There is a scale on the drawing but for you its approx 12m x 5.8 (external of the barn unit excluding 'link) but walls are quite thick. I do like your idea and think modern living, which i like tends to focus round a kitchen dining living space which doing what you say would achieve. I think I'm going to have to sketch up your ideas too and see which would practically be the better choice. We've probably spent most of our time obsessing over a really nice master, when actually you spend little time in it... well little time awake. so does it need to be so big. Id hoped to actually create a similar kitchen dining experience by removing the wall between the kitchen and living room to crate a bigger room. This would enable a small island and allow space for a dining table in the current front room and replacing the windows on the kitchen facing the garden with a more modern 'letterbox' picture postcard window to draw in the view. It was also my concern that creating this kitchen / dining in the barn would negate the need to use the original house as all family time would realistically be spend on the ground foor of the barn / bedrooms above. For what essentially is a compromise to what we had originally submitted to planning, i don't want to create anything that means the house becomes the subordinate or poorer relation to the new. It should flow and be part of the whole. I think if we went with the kitchen in barn (as awesome as it would be) wed just may as well not build the link and make a separate house minus your boot room of course. This would maximise our investment but I'm not a developer, Money is not the driver....See MoreFinally we have a kitchen plan
Comments (10)I should have said in really short, I struggle to reach the higher cabinets hence not having any. we will have a separate pantry. my main issue with having sink on the island is realistically it will look messy and wet u don't want the prep / social area to show the sink. we did consider the induction hob on the island with a downdraft extractor but they were over our budget and we didn't want a hood. with the ovens my husband really didn't want to be bending down hence we compromised and went mid height. Yes 90% drawers we love the ones we have that are deep. we went through our kitchen everything that doesn't get used went and wee created a list of items that we needed to store. from that we calculated the drawers we need. everything else goes in pantry. thanks for posting....See MoreAfter inspiration for open plan kitchen/dining/living area
Comments (14)So if possible I personally would lose the wall units (or at least the one on the right) and add shelves and change the tiles if you don't like them. I don't know your thoughts on painting the bifolds a dark grey as they do tend to frame the garden a bit more? How about using Ikea besta on the right hand wall as a tv unit and toy storage (1st pic) with art etc. Ignore colours btw as sofa and chairs come in different ones. Something like the Ikea stocksund may be a practical choice with kids (similar shown in pic 2). I love the hanging rattan chair for in front of the tv unit in the bottom right corner but can see the kids may swing on it! I also like the butterfly one which is actually from Cox and Cox and on offer ATM. I quite like the dining chair with the sofa which is apparently really comfy, maybe add a sheepskin on the bench. On the left side I'd look for a vintage sideboard for more storage. You could also add large belly baskets one side for more toys, add a soft throw/rug for the kids to play on and hide the toys when not in use. I'd add lots of plants, lamps and art etc....See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago

















Sonia