webuser_71660

lighting design

Tani H-S
5 years ago
Thanks to previous advice/ideas, I’ve now made 2 lights over my back kitchen units as hanging lights rather than spots (To avoid the runway look!) but just need a bit of help working out what they should look like is discreet or more obvious/size ??

Ie sketch shows that I will have large spider dining room ceiling light (black with large bulbs)
Then on the island I will have 3 pendants over the seating area which will be decorative (quite like the gold toned caged mesh lights or maybe smoked grey glass with gold detail)

Then at the back, these 2 hanging pendant work lights.

Back wall of the kitchen will be same colour as they units and I now have a light brass/gold metal splashback by the sink so I’m going for those sort of colours in Industrial Glamour style.

The back wall will eventually have some shelving in possibly wood with metal - not sure what yet.

So what sort of lights/shades should I do over the back worktop?? LOL.

Comments (76)

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Was thinking of something like this shade for the island - I’ve seen a copper and gold one in similar styles
  • minnie101
    4 years ago

It's a tricky one. I think I would have put wall lights in tbh (ignore the size of these as can't shrink them any further!) although it's too late for that so I'm not being very helpful. I think obviously due to the spider light it could get a bit busy. I think the slim ones posted before could work or put in downlighters as you said and light the shelves. I would definitely just go for one pendant over the island with the extra downlight as I said before, I don't know whether I'd go for a solid brass etc to make it more of the focal point rather than the mesh? What type of shelves will you go for and are you still doing something around the extractor as that will obviously alter the appearance too?

its also hard to tell from the pic how large the pendant can be as I can't work out where the light would hang in relation to the worktop if you know what I mean?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Yeah, wall lights would have been preferable on the back wall in hindsight! Lol. Can’t change it now though unfortunately.

Sorry - I didn’t quite get what you meant then about the island lighting.
    It’s 2.4 m wide so won’t one light be weird??

Not sure what we are doing above the extractor yet either, LOL!

Husband has had enough and has moved onto converting his van for the moment so it will be a while before we do the frame thing above the island (if at all!)

So bearing that in mind, I need to work out lighting I can use now I guess and if we do the frame, we can change it then. :0/
  • minnie101
    4 years ago

Well im guessing at least 1/3 of the island is covered by the extractor and more once the frame is on so I think one pendant could work? I know you were going to hang glasses etc so didn't know if it all would be a bit much? I must admit though I'm a fan of one pendant hung off centre or a cluster of skinny ones off centre but only because I've seen so many triple pendants :) So anyway I tried 3 of yours (hopefully to scale) and I do really like them "filling" that back wall but not sure I'd then add pendants on the back wall? What do you think?

• minnie101
    4 years ago

I can't believe your husband has left you to it, I'm not surprised he's had enough though, you must have the patience of a saint! Nearly there now though. Is the floor chosen? I must admit the screed looks quite good lol!

• Monica
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Oh dear Tani, months later and there's still no let up for you. Although you are massively getting there now.

I think I would prefer nothing dangling above the island apart from some directional spots. You will have enough going on there once you decide what you re doing with the shelf thingie.

Instead see if you can concentrate more light on that back wall. As the darkest area it will really sing at night with more light on it and the dangly will be far enough from the spider at the other end. That to me would look more streamlined, how you achieve it not too sure.

Actually how about you spider three of the cute hat ones you like from that one point??

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    @Minnie - I know, he isn’t interested in any design aspects at all so I might have to get someone in to help finish some bits off, ha ha.

Anyway, so the lights ... I see what you mean about 3. One would end up in front of the extractor. Just we have three seats there but maybe I can put two situated between each chair.
    Or have one single large one. Not sure. Will have a think about what I can find that might work.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    @ Monica - I have two lights at the back coming down but you can’t see it on the pic as the ducting hides the cable, ha ha. It’s over the far side which does need light there at night (drinks station!)

We aren’t sure yet if we will ever do the hanging frame as time/money to design/make one and factor in lack of wood joists in the right place in the ceiling and sloped angles, argh. So I thought if I sort out the island lighting (which has its own switch) then that could be a feature on its own for now.

I have seen those wine glass holder chandeliers, LOL. Tacky but could be an alternative ;0)
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Ps Minnie great photoshop skills!!
  • Carolina
    4 years ago
    Just a thought: swing arm light above the sink area?
  • Carolina
    4 years ago
    Something like this, ceiling mounted
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Pps @ Minnie - I’m seeing what you mean now re not having 3 lights.

Guess the extractor is the feature on the island so yeah, maybe something just larger off centre could work.
    Spam me with ideas! Ha ha
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    That’s funky @Carolina. Out of budget sadly but if it works on the ceiling then other angled spots could work hanging down.

I chucked out an old style mocha pot recently as it went mouldy (plus won’t work on my induction hob!) and I looked at it outside and wondered about making it into a lampshade for the back, ha ha. Seen one image online in a coffee shop that have done it and would need to get two but it’s novel
  • Ribena Drinker
    4 years ago

I think that anything with a gold or copper finish will look at odds with the stainless extractor hood, but that's just my feeling.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    I thought that @Ribena but perhaps because it’s just a practical item ie like the oven and sink and taps etc, the warmer metals act as the dominent metal and compliments it. I’ve read a tone of blogs and mixing is acceptable- maybe not all 3 colours, ha ha. Might have to re-spray the fruit bowl and wine rack if that’s the case, LOL
  • minnie101
    4 years ago

Tani, what's the distance from the floor to the bottom of the extractor? The extractor is quite long and you don't really want lights hung at the same level and also can't be banging your heads. I have however hung this kind of at the same level(I've just added another pic as I think scale was off on the first one and unfortunately can't clear the background!). It's a bit off the wall but I know you liked the vertigo pendant, which is one of my favourites, when you were planning the extension so thought you'd like this one (John Lewis Hiko). I really like the pendant with everything in the room, it's whether you think it works with the extractor and also works practically. If you don't like it, there's a floor lamp too :)

a cluster of cylindrical lights could also work at the end at differing heights, just struggling to find some ATM and need to know height from floor

• minnie101
    4 years ago

It looks quite small in the 2nd pic but the diameter is 80cm

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I will measure it up today! Might take some pics from the side as well as the island is 1m deep so the extractor doesn't come past the hob.

Yeah I liked that shade but it might need a few more bulbs over that area as I don't have any spots so when it's the only thing switched on, it might look a bit weak just one low light bulb?

I'm sure I have seen a gold version of this as well online. It's cool.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Floor to bottom of extractor is 1.92
    Island is 90cm high
    Ceiling height is 2.7m
    Island width 1m
    Length of worktop to the edge of the hob 1.45m

The far third stool opposite the extractor sits in line with the edge of the hob. It doesn’t spit that much - maybe 100mm past the hob edge if it overboils! Lol.

The cable for the light is in a rubbish place and is abou 105cm in from the non hob end (so not even central!) it will probably have to be put in trunking to move it to where is needed unless we go for a light on a bar which could work.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Not these specific ones, but something like this could work as a ‘single fitting’ ? Off centre so it’s in the middle of the space left of the extractor?
  • minnie101
    4 years ago

different perspective on roof light position now! I'm not too sure on that style of light tbh, the ceiling bar seems to fight a bit with the lines of the extractor (just personal opinion though)?

excuse my complete ignorance but why can't you wire a 2nd fixture into the existing? For the single pendant, I meant to have a downlight where the existing cable is btw and then add the light further along. Not the best pic, but 2nd one shows a cluster at the end of the island (may need to be a bit higher than that (!) and again you'd need a downlight). I also forgot to ask how tall you are if you go for a wide pendant

The Mesh Kitchen · More Info

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Ah because there aren’t any other cables in that area and the ceiling joists run the wrong way so they would have cut a big chunk of ceiling out to drill through the joist to pull that cable to the side :0/
    I’ve discussed it with him in great length, lol.

Also that cable is set to come on as different switch.
    The electrician could just trunk it in white so we have can position a single drop cluster in a better place ie about 8” to the left.

I see what you mean about a bar at the top. So I could either go for a cluster long drop (it will fall in the centre of the island so won’t affect head height)
    OR

A single drop from the top forming to a small bar with 2 lights off it?
    Didn’t realise how much of an issue the extractor being there would cause, ha ha.

Originally, I was just going to drape 3 cables with small cage fitting shades off the canopy you see and that cabling in the ceiling was supposed to be by the extractor so I could run it down the inside of the hood (so concealed!) and over the canopy. BUT, they messed it up and now it’s just a pain.
  • minnie101
    4 years ago

I did wonder about the joists, ok so the only option is really the trunking then with a single fitting? How are the lights on the extractor?! just thinking you need a multi pendant light that needs to disperse light quite wide but also directed down onto the worktop?? I wonder if some form of Sputnik/molecular light would work if we could find one that also has a downward facing arm/s? I'm not sure a cluster is going to give you the light you need, won't it just pool light in one place?? do you have a pic of your 2nd option as I can't recall seeing anything like that?

at least your hob/extractor is to the side, a lot of people have them in the middle which can make lights very tricky! Your issue is the position and just the one fitting with how the light will disperse.

They seemed to have messed a lot up, good job it looks so good :)

Tani H-S thanked minnie101
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ha ha, yeah, it has caused a bit of an issue but I'm sure it will get sorted.

So yes, I have just the one cable but it's enough power to split into 3 separate lights. Or, I can just get say a white ceiling rose spider and string in 2 cables which I can then hook and position where I need them and just fit normal shades on.

I realise the 2nd image I posted does have a small bar on it sorry so ignore that.

Funnily enough I just saw a sputnik type light whilst browsing and wondered if it would work. I'm not a massive fan of them but it looks good in your mock up.

Just need to make sure anything I get is different enough from the spider light so it doesn't just blend in.

I will be moving one of the spider arms away from the island anyway and more towards the other direction.

Extractor has 4 small lights on it but they aren't amazing - just enough to see what I'm cooking.

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago
    Minnie posted a pic yesterday of two (wooden) shelves over above the bench, I think that looks very well, in walnut possible I would go with the recessed down lighters as I think possibly any pendants above the bench will clash with the three over the island and take away from them.

Nickel would be a nice finish for pendants near your extractor to help match it.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ Beano - do you mean the back run of units? (re the bench?)

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Another idea. Ignore the lights as just copied anything in. So I love the suspended shelf on the brass rods on the photo I posted earlier (Agree with Beano re a dark wood shelf btw). What if you copied that on the back wall, installed some form of track lighting over the island and then went for more of a brass statement light over the sink? Sorry about the photoshop.. have attached the photo again for clarity! I'm not sure if you like the idea if you're not doing the frame around the extractor? I think a Sputnik could work though, a lot of them seem to have moveable arms too

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Oh I did see that lovely shelf but thought you posted the pic for the cluster lights so didn’t comment on it, ha ha

Electrician has been here and he didnt offer any suggestions, bless him. But agreed we will just put a spot on the far right back wall because when I put some shelving on that side, I can do some undershelf lighting as plug in (got two sockets higher up on the wall)

So that leaves just the one above the sink. Yes I could make that a feature light - even a fancy teardrop chandelier, ha ha, BUT it will be on the same circuit as the kitchen spots (that’s the two either side of the island and then the one on the back wall) so will that still be ok do you think?

Track light could work and he did say that I could have it with hanging lights on as well. So if I had the back wall as a feature light with metallic accents then I would probably keep the cabling black? Maybe on a white track so it disappears into the ceiling?

Pfff. Might be just making that all up in my head to try and convince myself I’m nearer a decision, LMAO

Just ordered wine btw. That light help me ;0)
  • minnie101
    4 years ago

Yeah I forgot to mention the shelf, it's lovely!

Oh no, bless. He's good at installing though isn't he? It makes sense to have a spot on the far right. I think the other light would be fine on the same circuit. Will/are any lights be dimmable? Maybe just try and find some low level lighting for under the shelves and you can add floor/table lamps in the dining end? how far from the wall is the light over the sink re size of light?

i think theres a few white track lights that would just disappear into the background (if I photoshopped them they would literally be invisible lol!).

Lol, wine helps everything. Was that an intended pun in your last sentence?! I think that could be a good and practical solution?

• PRO
    Gravel Hill Lighting
    4 years ago

Hello Tani

Apologies, I've only just come in on this, but what about something like this?

Kitchen · More Info

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago
    Sorry, tani, yes I was talking about two walnut shelves above the bench at the back wall, not the island, I would still,have two large or three smaller pendants above the island and two or three recessed spots into the ceiling above the bench along the back wall, they will give you good light in that area and the pendants will be a more centre stage show piece in the main kitchen area.

I don think pendants along the back wall and over the island will not look as good , just think it will be a bit too much, just my thoughts.
  • pmasmith3
    4 years ago
    Plain lighting in the kitchen would not compete with the spider light.

These plain ceiling mounted spots would merge into the ceiling - they wouldn't detract from the focal points of the spider light and the cooker hood.

They do a 3-spot or a 4-spot which would fit over the island and you could have 2 spots over the sink run.

https://www.johnlewis.com/astro-ascoli-3-spotlight-ceiling-bar/white/p1617868

Your kitchen and garden are looking great ....
  • kwg kwg
    4 years ago

I'm planning to have the 3 bar Ascoli light in extension too, they are really nice and discreet, looks modern and has a really nice matt texture. John Lewis are expensive though but they will price match and I think you can get them for about £90 - when you get to the till, you just need to find the cheapest online retailer who also has a shop and they will price match it there and then. That's what I did.

• Monica
    4 years ago
    I found this image on my travels Tani, it reminded me of your hood
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Oh doesn’t it just! Actually our kitchen layout as well, ha ha.
  • Monica
    4 years ago

Yep I had to do a double take in case it was you posting before the wall turned black LOL. It's interesting that they have chosen not to have any pendants over the island ( I am sure they have spots in the ceiling) and kept the lights on the back wall.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    It might be because the hood is central perhaps? So there isn’t a place to put them.

Been thinking about it over the weekend and I do still really prefer the idea of some pendants on the island - but maybe two low hung ones so they don’t clash with the extractor. Worse case - if it looks awful, the electrician can just replace them with ceiling spots.

So if I get those sorted first then I can see about the one over the sink
  • Monica
    4 years ago

That's good call, I have the same dilemma with ours. I am sick and tired of pendants over islands as every kitchen seem to have them but I still bought two to hang LOL,

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    I know, but they are there for a reason ie as it’s just like a dining table really. Guess if you have an island with no seating then you wouldn’t necessarily need decorative pendants?
  • minnie101
    4 years ago

Industrial but glam? I couldn't photoshop them in so have just added similar in white.

Is the dining wall still plaster out of curiosity?

https://www.pooky.com/pendant-lights/roller-pendant-in-antiqued-brass#selection.config_colour=BRACOP&selection.other_config_size=100

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Industrial glam is exactly what I’m after - love some of the extravagant bars that are semi 20’s/30’s style with their black metal and the brass and mirrors and crystal glass etc. Ha ha.
    Brass and mirror /glass shelf would also be amazing on our back wall as a drinks area or in a other part of the room. Think I just want a bar rather than a kitchen (I’m not an alcoholic- honestly, LOL) ha ha.

The other wall is painted white emulsion for the moment as just needed to get a coat on
  • minnie101
    4 years ago

So a bit sort of Parisian brasserie/jazz club? These go well with that look in either silver or gold but nearly double the price and out of stock ATM.

lol, is the bar out for the left chimney alcove then? I loved the paint colour Colourhappy suggested, I painted my spare room setting plaster a few weeks ago but wish I'd looked at the P&P library one :(

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Oo those are stunning - especially with the gold top! Darent ask the price , eek. From the same Pooky seller??

Yes I’m going to get a sample of the one she suggested to try out as the radiator won’t be fixed on that dining room wall for a good while so not been in a massive rush.

The floor is finally going down next week (omg) so I’m frantically trying to finish painting the eggshell door cos I’m messy and don’t want to ruin the floor, ha ha.

Not sure what you would call the look really and if I wasn’t south facing then I wanted be antique mirror on the kitchen wall with the brass shelving to give that effect but it will blind me so have to watch where I put it.
    I had an amazing pic from a magazine of the look I wanted but can’t find it now. It’s from a bar but was OTT really.
    The OH just won’t spend out on any fancy things anymore. He says everything I want making now will be out of pallets! LMAO
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Ps Pooky have some amazing lights but most of the ones I liked are well out of my budget, sob.
    That tiered chandelier is gorgeous (glass rods with brass trim!)
  • minnie101
    4 years ago

Sorry Tani, I forgot to reply. Lights are on the link below. Pooky have quite a few nice lights, I don't like budgets either!

I thought the rad was done ages ago. I think that paint colour could look fab although I suppose it depends how it will sit with the overall look as it's quite earthy?

Yay, which floor did you choose in the end?

Did you ever try antique'ing a mirror? I found another product to do it which you can get on eBay. I agree you do need to be careful in south facing rooms though, our old kitchen and lounge were south facing with loads of glazing and it was blinding!

Lol, I hope you haven't got much left to buy then, I'm sure there are only so many ways with a pallet!

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-create-a-4-127227

https://www.oka.com/search/?search=Ellington%20

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Gulp - just seen the prices of those lovely lights. I’m crying to myself now, lol!

Got loads to buy- big tv, new sofas, loads of lighting, ha ha. Sofa mostly because our current Ikea corner one is not comfy and I wake up with a bad back every day (not the mattress). Have to ‘save’ (Pfff, what’s that! ) for all those apparently ;0)

Went for a Cavalio rustic oak wide plank in the end which to me is a kind of vintage beige wood (so not too yellow and not too brown or grey) which I think works with the industrial theme without being too fashionable. I hope, LOL.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Ps thanks for the mirror link! No, not tried it yet but will get some cheap mirrors from Poundland et al to try them on as would be good in a bar area :0)
  • minnie101
    4 years ago

I know the feeling, I saw a wall light on Houzz today that I liked and it was £1,500, err no!

oh quite a lot then. I assumed you were keeping your sofa, I didn't realise it was uncomfortable. Now that you could make out of crates but I didn't say that :) I saw something yesterday and got the "that's really nice, what does it do" question!

That sounds nice, it will be great to get the flooring down so you can properly use the room.

Yeah you should try it, with your skills I bet it will look great and then you could do a sideline in antique mirrors and make a fortune!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Ha ha, yeah we attempted a bench out of pallets once and that was fun (not) hard work!

The sofa is one where it has low removable back cushions so if you’re not sat against a wall, there’s nothing to prop your head up so I’ve been having bad upper back pain from it. Looks nice but isn’t comfy.

I used to work with glass but never tried to age it before so definately up for a go (although it looks so fiddly and messy!) might be a while yet though ...
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.