mgreen8

New Kitchen Extension Layout Help

Martin
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We're hoping to get planning permission for a wraparound extension to a Victorian terrace in a few weeks so need to get the rough kitchen layout sorted for the builders. We've spoken to a couple of companies but with only plans to go off it was more us leading them to a design rather than them proposing possible layouts. I managed to draw up the following design that seemed to make good use of the space but we're very keen to get people's views on it and other ideas we could work with.

New Floorplan:

Initial Design:

There's a few considerations:

Chimney Breast - It would be nice to keep it as a period feature and save the added cost of removing it. But I don't know it's workable in it's current position as it sits quite close to the entrance with two steps down

Island vs Peninsula - We always had in mind an island but given how narrow these Victorian terraces are it's common for the island to run lengthways so you're staring at a wall when using it. Peninsula appears more practical as gives a view out in to the garden when using the breakfast bar area to prep food

Boiler - Needs to be housed near an external wall/roof

We'd like it to feel like a open kitchen/dining space so had avoided lots of tall units as it could close in on the space. The side and end roof is pitched

Many thanks

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.