ellealver

Help please. Kitchen and lounge layout

Amber Tallulah
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I've been wrestling with this for too long. I really want to open out the kitchen onto the garden, so least option would be patio doors. However we had planned to extend at the back, either just the kitchen, just the lounge or across both. That side of the house is facing east so trying to maximise the light coming through, especially in the kitchen. If we extend the kitchen we would then have space for a table.

I have also toyed with the idea of grabbing some space from the lounge. There is no fireplace in the lounge, we have patio doors. The windows and doors in the kitchen are subject to change to help with a better layout. Ideally would like somewhere to sit, even just an armchair as I often have to rest while cooking. Can't sit on kitchen stools though (health issues).

I also want to put bifold doors to separate the lounge so we can watch tv and relax without interruption.

What would you do? Would be grateful for any ideas.

Thanks for reading.

Below is a very rough plan of an idea I had, which was open the wall to the lounge to create more light into the kitchen. The blue block would be the open part. Would it be weird? I don't want full open plan and I'm worried about having to go through what would then be kitchen diner to access the lounge through bifold doors. Those doors would be roughly where the dots are.
Yellow block is proposed extension

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.