jjp_marelli

Extension & floorplan

jjp marelli
2 years ago

I’ve bought a property that is in need of renovation, and I want to add an extension onto the back to put a new kitchen & dining area & I’d like to be able to fit in a couple of reading chairs and a TV, like a small version of an open plan. The current kitchen would become a laundry & boot room.
I don’t think a 3m extension will do this. One builder says he thinks it will be plenty of room and not worth the hassle and extra cost of neighbourhood consultation scheme, another builder think going to 3.5m is better, which is the realistic size extension for the land and what other houses have had around the area.
I really want a social area that backs onto the garden and a place to sit comfortably by the opening to the garden in the summer, and I like to cook & bake so want a good functional space for this.
I’m downsizing and will be wanting quite a lot out of this space, the lounge would need to have a substantial pc and desk area with space for folders and paperwork, then an area for DDJs speakers & another laptop, along with a main tv, surround sound and some space for books & CDs. But I want it almost hidden so I thought a large media wall/shelving unit with the TV central, was a way round this.
I have to do this on a budget.
I can’t make my mind up about the size of the extension, is it worth the extra 0.5m, or leave as is. Do I block in the current kitchen window and making a doorway to the side of that to the new kitchen area, or maybe remove the whole kitchen wall and use some of the kitchen space and make a smaller laundry boot room.
I’m extending the toilet across for a wet room, and I’m also not happy that the front door opening almost directly to a wall straight in front of it, so I had two ideas, turn the staircase and use some of the front room for a bigger hall - but I’m worried this won’t leave me enough space for pc & DJ area, or maybe move the front door to where the window is into the lobby area?
Any ideas gratefully received.

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.