Help please with 1930’s Kitchen diner layout…
4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (20)
- 4 years ago
Related Discussions
Layout help for kitchen/lounge/diner. Please help
Comments (4)I think shortening the lounge is a great idea. Could the new kitchen door go through the cupboard in the hall next to the shower room? This would make the new wall nicely balanced with the window in the new dining room. If you want help with visualisations, I offer 10 hours of design work for £250 which gives you a full design and the confidence to proceed with any supplier of your choice. If you want to have a no obligation chat to bounce some ideas around, feel free to get in touch 😊 Emily x...See MoreKitchen/Diner layout advice - 1930s Semi
Comments (8)Congratulations on your new home! Great plan. My house is 1930s and the kitchen was minuscule! One day we decided to knock down the wall between the tiny kitchen and the living/dining room. Best thing we ever did. We blocked up the wall (apart from the door) creating a kitchen/diner at the back and the living room at the front. I sometimes wonder if we should have left it open plan? That’s a thought. I think swopping the kitchen and dining room over would be better. Of course it will cost more due to moving all the pipe work, but it would fit better. Finding a really good builder is the hardest part. You could ask for recommendations from family, friends and neighbours. You could also ask for recommendations on your local Facebook Town Group. There are groups like Trustatrade.com but I’ve not heard good things about such groups. Once you have a list of builders 🙏 you can draw up a list of work you want them to do and get three quotes. The cheapest isn’t always the best though. Wishing you every success....See MoreHelp with downstairs layout for 1930s kitchen extension
Comments (5)Hi Laura, That looks like it will be a fantastic addition of space to your home. I think that a change in levels or a low-level dividing wall is a great feature in an open plan space, as it gives clear division of spaces but allows transmission of natural light. This is sometimes called ‘broken plan’ and there are lots of examples and information on Houzz like this article:https://www.houzz.co.uk/magazine/how-to-design-a-broken-plan-space-stsetivw-vs~119315147 So by adding a railing or low height wall to separate the lounge and dining spaces, you could get views of your garden from the living room whilst still having somewhere to place your furniture up against. Its best to keep the ceiling level if you can and use a rooflight and glazing above the bifold to bring light all the way deep into the lounge space. And keep the steps to 1-2m wide to make the most of space either side of them. I would also recommend 2 other changes: reduce the size of the bifold to add more kitchen units with a window, and reduce the size of the utility to make the central space into something usable. Something like a library if you like to read, or a drinks bar if you like to entertain or record player and vinyl collection Please let me know what you think? And I wish you all the best with your extension project!! Phill...See MoreLayout help - 1930s double storey extension
Comments (4)Hey Well, I see your point, I think the stairs in your plans are playing crucial role as I can see, it's like the heart of the building, If I was you, I would like to give it more attention, emphasising the design in that area, not in an extravagant way of course, but, it should be a family space, and for the storage space, you could design storage cabinets under that stair as well integrated with the stairs itself, Best of luck, Besan...See More- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago











kazzh