newhome43

Need help with the dining area in my kitchen

newhome43
9 years ago
I need help with what table and chairs and what other accessories to have to make it a stylish but cosy area . Do I take the rug up ? What type colour and style of chairs ? It's a period house which was built in late 1800 . The previous owners put a kitchen extension onto the original dining area . I would appreciate any advice . I have included pictures of the kitchen and living area too . Thank you in advance .

Comments (44)

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    A round table would add to the cozy factor and make for more intimate table conversation. I would not put a rug in the dining area because the chandelier placement does not allow for centering it in the space. Instead, I'd build a rad cover that will serve as a buffet. the round table can be an extension style that stays closed until you need to stretch it for company. Move your starburst mirror above it and put the art piece on the wall by the built in china. good "rule of thumb' for hanging pieces is 5-5-75. When hanging alone, as the one by the china will be, the center point of the piece is 5' above the floor. When above something like the starburst above the built-in buffet, bottom frame 5" above the item below. Keep the proportion right - not to exceed 75% of the furniture's with you put it above. To add cozy to the living room, pull the seating pieces up onto the edges of the rug. When it is floating by itself in the middle of the floor it gives the impression it is too precious to step on and makes the room feel "stand-offish." You might actually layer the dining rug on top of the living room one for a super cozy and rich feeling. You could cover the rad behind the sofa in a similar style to the dining one and use it for decor items, lowering the art to 5" above it.
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/3-bedroom-house-renovation-contemporary-dining-room-dublin-phvw-vp~5175957

Park Hill House · More Info

My Houzz: A Multifunctional Dining Room · More Info
    newhome43 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hard to find a style that works with your living room's darker furniture, period features of room, being off a more modern kitchen and combining comfort/formality. I would replace the chandelier and lower and probably remove rug. Perhaps restain floor to a darker color. Move your painting to a smaller wall and add a large mirror there instead and if you can, have rad covered. One door is white and other is dark, perhaps paint the door white? For ideas around feel of dining room, I've attached a few ideas that I thought might help. houzz=
    Kitchen dining area · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    Monticello Drive · More Info
    ]
    newhome43 thanked Maureen
  • Related Discussions

need help designing a open plan kitchen, living, dining area

Q

Comments (6)
    Hello Jeannette, what a lovely project! I've worked on a number of bungalows and they have their own unique challenges. Making the spaces work for our needs today, and for your own family needs have to be the priorities. I would suggest you appoint an interior designer before thinking in detail about the kitchen. An interior designer will find out how you want to use the space and come up with clever floor plan that is workable and beautiful. This is going to be a really important investment for you. I would love to help - I couldn't advise in any detail without seeing the property and of course, without meeting you. Very best wishes Yasmin.
    ...See More

Help needed for dining/living area layout

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Sean, I think it is a fine layout! Only suggestion: may be better to get large corner sofa instead of two, it will give you more seating places, especially when you have parties. Side table in the corner will not be as practical as coffee table because only two persons seating close to it will be able to reach. As I understand you have TV stand at the wall? What do you think of wall bracket? If to place TV on a wall, then you could face it to dining or kitchen area, when you need it and it will give you more room to walk around. Especially if you will decide to get coffee table.
    ...See More

Need help with flooring fr my new kitchen/dining/sitting room

Q

Comments (6)
    Marble would still work well in all those areas - luxurious and dramatic! A couple of points to take care with: - Take care if you're option for high gloss, as they can be slippery when wet - If you're opting for a very "white" marble (Carrara or some such), be prepared for it to show every dirty mark and need regular cleaning. If your lifestye can cope with this great - if you have three labrodors and live in a pair of Hunter wellies, I'd urge caution....
    ...See More

Please I need help to lay out my living/dining area

Q

Comments (17)
    Hi Andrei, From a circulation view point I think you would naturally enter the room and form an arc to the right to the kitchen arriving at the kitchen island so the dining table would be best on the right I feel. A fire on the left where the vase is would look good visually as you walk in and less cluttered along that wall. If the island is movable I would suggest moving it to the right, closer to the sink and hob to allow a line of site from the sofa to the garden though the French doors. Perhaps a square coffee table tucked in close to the right angle of the sofa would be best for circulation and a bigger rug anchored by the legs of the sofa, perhaps curved on its outer edge to echo a round table?
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Soothing Company
    9 years ago
    Here are a few ideas for making it more cozy. Possibly adding a water feature to the walls will create a more relaxing atmosphere. Or even an ethanol fireplace - either for wall or even tabletop. Ethanol fireplaces are smoke and odor free so they require no vent and require no gas line or electricity so you can install one anywhere.
    Check out more at http://www.soothingcompany.com/

Wellington 2 Sided Ethanol Fireplace by Eco-Feu · More Info

Majestic River Slate Wall Fountain · More Info

Eco-Feu Horizon Biofuel Fireplace · More Info

Mirage Waters Wall Fountain with Stainless Steel · More Info
    newhome43 thanked Soothing Company
  • jjeub
    9 years ago
    I like the idea of the rad cover/buffet and putting the starburst over it. Wonderful way to bring the kitchen cabinet tone into the dining room. Ditto hanging the painting, but you also need art work to the right of the wood door (and I would paint that door white). Personally I would keep the long table. It seems right for the narrow room. Remove the table cloth, use place mats, put a long, low, narrow floral centerpiece and, most importantly lower the chandelier to 29" to 36" above the table. I agree the rug should go.

Also agree about the furniture in the living room. Don't let it float. I would replace the rug with a broad-stripe neutral or a solid neutral and update the look with pillows. It's a bit outdated. Do lower the art above the sofa. Really, there's just a little to do that wouldn't cost must but would make amazing differences.
    newhome43 thanked jjeub
  • newhome43
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all for your advice . We moved in a year ago , it was so run down when we moved in , the previous owners didn't love the house and it was neglected . Love the idea of covering the radiators and love the idea of a round / oval table . The chesterfield sofa in the living area is blood red and looks more burgundy in real life than it does in the picture . Will paint the door that is stained white . The other side of the door is the hallway which is panelled in dark oak . I really don't have a clue where to start so I appreciate the time and advice you have given me . Will include the picture of the hallway off the dining room , will need some help with that too . It's very dark but I don't want to paint the panelling .
  • Sharon Franklin
    9 years ago
    Definitely need a new chandelier. I would also get bigger, bulkier chairs and in a color. A larger centerpiece would do a lot too, as would a patterned rug or table cloth.
    newhome43 thanked Sharon Franklin
  • jjeub
    9 years ago
    The entrance/foyer hallway, the door and the chandelier are beautiful. A nice long console with buffet lamps, a wonderful painting over, maybe one or two chairs on the opposite side with nice upholstered seats and a rug the proper length and width are all you need. What is the white on the wall, a radiator. Do paint it to blend.
    newhome43 thanked jjeub
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Another rad to cover. Love the paneling! Go with it or you could try temp/removable wallpaper.
    William T Baker Houses · More Info

Malinard Manor - Master Bedroom · More Info
    newhome43 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    For your lovely hallway, I would just add a bench or settee that had a classic feel, with large art or mirror above. Could add narrow tables beside for lamps. Perhaps if you went antique shopping, you could find a great piece that you could upholster. [houzz=
    British Colonial in Pasadena · More Info
    ]; [houzz=
    Siesta Key Getaway · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    Jenkins Baer Associates · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    Oakville Condo · More Info
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    Your hallway is spectacular and that panelling is amazing. Your living area and kitchen look lovely and light and the dining room has no windows so I would embrace what you have and paint it dark. It'll give it great atmosphere and warm it up. Dark blues or grey/greens look fab. Leave the ceiling and the cornicing/wall above the picture rail an antique white to tie it into the flooring in the extension.

As everyone has said, the doors should be the same colour and I can't tell from your picture if the are the same vintage, but the dark wood one looks pretty (and I guess goes with the hallway when it is open) and wouldn't stand out if you have dark walls. Or you could paint both of them the same colour as the walls. The built-in cabinet would stand out if it was painted antique white like the ceiling and the cornicing.

I agree that a round but extendable table would look great - break up the square of the room and also tie in nicely with the curve of the parquet floor as it meets the extension.

Have fun!

Library · More Info

My Home · More Info
    newhome43 thanked boundsgreener
  • newhome43
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all . This area is always busy with pets , children and friends so not sure that a neutral rug will be practical . We have two other reception rooms but everyone ends up in here . I was thinking about changing the rug , what about plain red/ burgundy or I do like cranberry stripe one in Laura Ashley . What colour dining chairs ? Shall I keep it neural or add colour ? What colour should the radiator covers be ? What about a bespoke breakfast bar or large console table covering radiator in the kitchen area ? The dining area hasn't long been wallpapered so I can't change or paint it as my husband would be divorcing me lol . Wish I had found this site before any alterations were made .
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    Not sure if you are keeping your furniture, as you just reference rug, chairs and paint? You have to decorate around the rug, so that should be your first choice. I really like the style of the carpets in first two pictures. With these, you could paint room blue (or leave as is to match kitchen and living room) and leave chairs as is. Or you could whitewash the legs of your table and chairs a geyish/white. Rad cover idea below and if you make wide enough, could be used as a console and like the light fixture for your room in the 2nd picture. For rad in kitchen, I would paint it the same color as walls and place a bar height table and two chairs. It will hide the rad and also be useful.
    [houzz=
    Hollywood Hills Home · More Info
    ]; [houzz=
    Lakeside Family Cottage · More Info
    ];
    [houzz=
    Sea of Blue · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Gold and Orange Dining Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    San Francisco Interior Design · More Info
    ]
  • newhome43
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sorry to confuse you Maureen I confuse myself to . I bought the rugs for the room and wasn't going to change them but I would change if it would improve the room . I have already painted the walls so the wall colour is staying . I am buying a new table and chairs so it was the style and colour of the table and chairs I was stuck on and need help with . I have taken the rug up in the dining area which does look better . I have put that rug in the sitting area as it's bigger . Will get some paint tomorrow to paint the door white and have a joiner coming next week to make radiator covers . Thank you all again for your ideas .
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    Waaaay better without the rug!

I like the dining table in the first picture that decoenthusiate put in the first post, but maybe you are a bit more traditional. How about this for the room? The elegance of the chairs would be lovely and I think a few curves in the table and chairs would soften the squareness of the room as it currently is and tie into the way the parquet ends (sorry, I'm a bit obsessed with that curve in the floor). And the painting/buffet/lamp set up they have is something you could do once you have the radiator cover. But not black.

Cleeves House · More Info
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    You could even go with a table like this and then plush chairs like in the photo above. This style might appeal, given your living area furniture.

1920's Oak Carved Extending Table · More Info

Do you think you want more colour or a pattern in the chair fabric because of the pet/children factor?
  • newhome43
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Boundsgreener I love the table and chairs ,love the style of the chairs its exactly what I had in mind .I love the oak carved table ,think it would fit in with the house .I love the cream chairs ,love the colour too ,what if I had cream stain resistant and more hard wearing fabric ? What other colour would you suggest for the chairs ? What colour table ? Should I have dark wood ? What colour radiator cover ? Sorry for all the questions just getting excited about it all lol .An Oval table is a must too ,nothing wrong with obsession with the curve ,I have many obsessions . Thanks again
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    Yay! I think the oak carved table would be great there and fits in with the house and your style. If the fabric on the chairs has a weave in it and is hard wearing, I think you can go with cream (as I think that is what you really want). Made.com has some wonderful products and you can get free fabric samples, so you can see if the fabric has the right hard-wearing quality you need. They look good in the photos and have that weave of a couple of different tones that I'm talking about when you see the close up.. They have two dining chair styles that I think would work: http://www.made.com/chairs/dining-chairs/percy-scoop-back-chair-biscuit-beige. http://www.made.com/chairs/dining-chairs/flynn-scoop-back-chair-biscuit-beige. The second one also comes in "merlot": http://www.made.com/chairs/dining-chairs/flynn-scoop-back-chair-merlot-red. If you have a dark oak table the merlot chairs might make it all a bit dark, but it looks like they would be a similar colour to your sofas, so it could all tie in nicely. I would get samples in the biscuit beige and merlot and have a think. The legs on both these chairs would go with the dark oak table.

Radiator cover.... hmmm.... make sure it has a proper ledge on the top, like Maureen (I think) suggested, so it looks like furniture and you can put lamps/a nice bowl/flowers on top. Someone else probably has some good ideas for the colour. The safe choice would be to match it to the skirting board, but it might still just look like a radiator cover. I would want it to be dark, like the table, so it looks more like furniture. If the joiner is just going to use MDF it'll be hard to make it anything but a solid paint colour but if he's going to use real wood you could stain it the same colour as the table. I don't know what your budget is, but I would opt for the latter. The same for the hallway with the beautiful panelling - unless it is stained wood, I think it is just going to look like a radiator cover.

One more question for you newhome that Maureen already brought up: is the parquet floor (still obsessed, but this time with the colour) in the dining area the same colour as the hall? It looks lighter from the photo, but that might just be the photos. If it is different, stain it the same colour as the hall so it flows.
  • newhome43
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you so much boundsgreener for your help and advice .I do intend to have the covers made in solid wood and will stain them to match and look more like furniture. Yes I think the radiator cover/ buffet area will look good in a darker stain like the table . The floor colour in the dining area is lighter than the hallway ,but the floor in the dining room is the same colour as the kitchen units . You and Maureen are right though it will help it all flow better .

I love the chairs in Made ,they are exactly what I want and the price is very reasonable compared to others I have seen .Will order some samples of the Merlot and biscuit beige .

Since moving here we have spent time and money on things you can't see like dry rot ,damp, new windows ,roof ,so its nice now to see things coming together .Thank you again for all your advice ,I appreciate every ones help and like jjeub said all these things make such a difference .Thank you
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    My absolute pleasure. You house looks amazing and I'm so pleased for you that you've got the boring (and expensive!) stuff out of the way and now you can work on the fun bit. Hoorah!

Good move on the radiator covers. A big mirror, art and new chandelier will make a big difference, too. Get the floor, rad cover, table and chairs sorted first, but I can't resist posting this as I think it is fab (and the price is really good!). Maybe a bit too quirky for your taste, but I think brilliant for a dining room and it would bounce light all around the room:
    Vino Wine Glass Chandelier Large · More Info
  • newhome43
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Love this light too , it would have looked fantastic in my previous house but. I am sticking to a more traditional style with this house I think . The door has been painted white which I love , my friend called today and she couldn't believe the difference painting the door has made . Bought a table from an antique shop which is very similar to the traditional one you posted , don't worry it's oval lol . It needs to be stripped and polished so waiting to have that done . Had the fabric samples from Made and I am going to stick with the biscuit colour . I wasn't going to change the rug but I am thinking a neutral one would be better , bit more modern like someone previously said , still thinking about that for now . It's difficult to get a large rug to fit as I need a rug at least 300 x 350 cms for it to fit under the sofas . Thanks again everyone for your advice .
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    Well done with all your progress and your antique shop find (always the best and most fun way to go). Yeah, I thought the light was a long shot but worth chucking in there just in case (if only I had an appropriate place for one!). Biscuit is the best choice, I think, for the look you are going for. It'll be classy and traditional.
  • Vonn
    9 years ago
    What a kind and generous person boundsgreener is. To think of the time and effort she/he have put into all of their comments. Amazing advice and I too love the chairs and dining table. Stunning taste.
    newhome43 thanked Vonn
  • newhome43
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes Ybrough you are right so generous and kind of Boundsgreener plus I love all her ideas . I'm very thankful for everyone who has taken time to comment , it's nice to have different ideas and opinions . My health isn't great so it' takes me a while to organise things but hopefully it won't be too long and I will post some pictures of the new finished dining room for you all to see x
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    Shucks. Thanks ybrough and newhome43. I've renovated a few places over the years that are in different styles and in different countries and - fortunately or unfortunately - I'm now finished (although I'm trying to justify a buying a beautiful cabinet that made me gasp when I saw it and had the tape measure out today...). But I still have all these sites and bits of design I've seen whirring round in my head and I am constantly looking at furniture, colours and patterns because I just love the inventive and gorgeous things people can make. If my "research" can help someone going through what can be a long and sometimes lonely process, then I'm a happy (female) bunny :)

And your health is more important than new chairs, newhome43, so give us an update when you are ready.
  • Vonn
    9 years ago
    Look forward to that newhome43. It's so nice to be surrounded by lovely things, but make sure you are healthy enough to enjoy it.
    newhome43 thanked Vonn
  • Vonn
    9 years ago
    I so want to be you boundsgreener. I can't satisfy my craving for anything housey, especially tv programmes. It sure is a learning curve, but your professionalism and expertise surely is top notch. Would love to see some of the reno's, then again, could leave me wanting. Good luck for the future, you certainly have ane eye and a talent for detail.
  • newhome43
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Aww Boundsgreener and ybrough you have both made me smile with your lovely comments .Boundgreener you definitely have an eye for interior design and I will keep you busy asking you for your ideas over the next few months lol .I wish I could put things together I just don't know where to start .I was retired from my career due to ill health a few years ago ,as a result I am trying to find things to do and think about as long as I am able to .Being at home all day you notice more and I just love being surrounded by nice things .I can't agree more that health is much more important than chairs ,it just gives me something to plan and look forward too as well as creating a cosy family home .Best thing is having friends and family over to share it though .I am like you ybrough I am always watching housy tv programmes Best wishes to you both x
  • Vonn
    9 years ago
    You are very welcome Boundsgreener and I also think that if you fee poorly, a cosy room always helps a little, so worth it in the long run.
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    You two are making me blush! When the days start getting shorter I might finally organise my photos and be brave enough to post a few on my profile....but I might have to go and buy that cabinet I don't need first!

Enjoy the housy TV shows and I'm looking forward to seeing the next stage of your dining room, newhome43, AND your beautiful entrance hall.
  • Vonn
    9 years ago
    Credit where credit is due boundsgreener. Is this the UK site or the USA BTW. The USA site is truly my guilty pleasure, so many articles, champagne tastes and beer money. So look forward to seeing the pics though, especially when the nights draw in. Glass of bubbly and interior design. My idea of Heaven. Enjoy and hey if you really like the cabinet, I would go for it. What pleasure it would give.
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    UK site, but I, too, flit over to the US one for a bit of variety and sometimes for a laugh when they say something is "small"... Still mulling over the cabinet.... :)
  • Vonn
    9 years ago
    You made me laugh boundsgreener. Some of their projects to make the most of a small space, they are talking about a child's bedroom that is bigger than my house. Have a small (really even by UK standards) place in Florida, had to do it on a budget (so wanted to have a freehand with the bank balance, but alas no. We needed to rent it out as well as have the use ourselves. I would so have done it differently, but hey what fun I had. It was the best holiday every (so sad), but even picking a pool tile was sheer bliss and hell.
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    ybrough, I saw this "dilemma" and thought of you - https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/our-asymmetrical-laundry-chute-cupboard-dsvw-vd~1130939 I would have contacted you without bothering anyone else if I knew how, so apologies all. But enjoy!
  • PRO
    Couture Cases Ltd
    9 years ago
    Dont know whether you have sorted your radiator cabinets yet but you might want to consider something from our latest ranges - all available in the colours and materials you mention www.couturecases.co.uk
    newhome43 thanked Couture Cases Ltd
  • newhome43
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you Courture Cases but I have already ordered my radiator covers . Love the designs on your webside . Hi Boundsgreener thought I would send you a picture of the table I bought , needs a bit of TLC and to be polished but I love it . I know a good restorer and polisher so will give them a ring . Going to order the chairs next week from Made , still can't decide on all beige chairs or a mixture of beige and merlot such as 4 beige in middle and 2 merlot on the ends ? Will post a picture when I get the chairs . Hope you are ok , thanks for all your help x .
  • Vonn
    9 years ago
    Beautiful wood work. For what it is worth I think that 4 beige and 2 merlot would look fantastic. Good luck. Stunning floor too.
    newhome43 thanked Vonn
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    What a beautiful and perfect table you found! Hubba hubba - those legs are just gorgeous. Well done and thanks for calling out to me.

As for the chair mix, I think four beige and two merlot would be lovely. I think you like a traditional look, so I'm a bit worried that you won't be happy with it. If the table will normally be smaller with four beige chairs around it and maybe put the two merlot ones on either side of the radiator cover/"console", then definitely do the mix. Mismatched chairs around a dining table are often all different or the same make and model in a multitude of colours or the same colour in different styles. Do a Houzz search and see if you can find your planned mix and if you like the look. If in doubt, get four beige and look at them for a while!

You could tie the two chair colours together with little cushions on the chairs - maybe just on the two merlot ones. Both of these are too big, I think, but the colours are good. http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/reasonhome/product/pondicherry-flower-silk-cushion-cover
    http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/emmalonsdale/product/chit-chat-rectangular-cushion

This one might be the right size: http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/jennysibthorp/product/lobster-pot-screen-printed-natural-linen-cushion

I covet the table already so I can't wait to see him all polished up....
  • newhome43
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you both will post some pictures of the chairs and table soon .I think I might get the beige ones first and look at them for a while ,I love the idea of the 4 beige and 2 merlot but my hubby doesn't so will need to persuade him lol . Love the idea of the cushions too , thank you
  • Vonn
    9 years ago
    It is a big decision and I know my hubby would be so on board with your hubby, and I am so Mrs Beige, trying to be adventurous by introducing aubergine (albeit a few cushions and a piece of glassware) to my new lounge. Hey, it really worked, did not cause any major heart murmurs and I feel so liberated, not to mention brave, that I then painted a whole wall in my kitchen diner in a gorgeous shade of olive green. Hubby really not keen to begin with, but he has been won over. Sometimes it is very satisfying to play safe, after all it is hard earned money that is being spent, but once you let go and embrace a little colour, it is not too traumatic. Can't wait to see the pics.
  • Nuri Iko
    9 years ago
    I would not use the rug for both libing area and dining. and the Parquet, I'd cut off the semi circle away. I dun think you can do much abt the black sofa. But you can have some light/bright colored cushion. If you want to use a Rug I thick neutral would be nice and on a safer side, Maybe Mocha/Cuppucino color. and if you want patterned rugs, maybe with clean lines/curves/waves. You can hv a single color bright rug too like red or green. As fr the dining area. Maybe you can add a console table. Coz it looks kind of empty frm the entrance view. Place a large picture on it would be nice too.
    newhome43 thanked Nuri Iko
  • Helen Jones
    9 years ago
    Any pics of the room now?
  • LucyCooke DesignJuiceBlog
    9 years ago
    The rug is fine, keep it, (as long as you are going for a rectangle table again of course) it can act as a great buffer between woods... the wood flooring and wood chair legs.
    I would go for a mid century look (see photos), change light fitting to quite a large statement design, change table and chairs, and remove the gold framed mirror, replace with some large artwork of your choosing.
    https://designjuiceblog.wordpress.com/
  • Laura Watson
    8 years ago

Hi there. I think the floor is the issue, as the colour doesn't really match the dining or the hallway. Perhaps a darker stain?

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.