kendravicknair

Need ideas for TV wall

kendravicknair
9 years ago
We have a large wall in our family room/great room that currently just has a TV and console. It is a blank slate (as is most of the rest of the house). The other main wall in the room is the fireplace wall (see picture). The opposite side of the room is our kitchen (see picture). Our style is best described as elegant/rustic. We don't like modern or bright, busy colors. The current wall color is SW Repose Gray. We like it and would like that to stay. The TV needs to stay on that wall.

I am not sure how to approach this large blank wall. I want the fireplace and kitchen to remain the focal points, so I don't want this wall to be too heavy or busy, but I also want it to feel finished and balanced with the rest of the room.
I like the idea of a gallery wall, but not one that is too stiff and formal. I would like to incorporate rustic/worn/antique elements. Maybe some antique shutters or windows. But my husband says "it can't look like the walls of Cracker Barrel or Applebee's!" On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the most formal and orderly gallery wall and 1 being Cracker Barrel, I think we are looking for about a 7.

I also had an idea to do an accent of wallpaper on the middle third or so of the wall, the part behind the TV, either in a darker gray or a coppery brown. Would that be a good idea, or a bad one? I've added a picture of a bedroom with a wallpaper accent like what I'm considering, just not in those colors.

Wall shelves and/or bookshelves would be handy and welcome, but I'm not sure how to incorporate them, or what style is most appropriate here. We definitely do not like big built in wall entertainment/shelving systems.

Also, my husband is a photographer, so incorporating some of his photos would be wonderful. I would love for this wall (and the rest of the house, eventually) to be a reflection of who we are.

Can't wait to hear your ideas and suggestions.

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.