oceanprojectdevelopments

The difference between Building Regulations and Planning Permission?

Permission is always required for any building work or alterations to be done on your property, but it’s not always clear how Planning and Building Regulations approval processes differ. There are also responsibilities under the construction health and safety regulations to consider.

Building Regulations set standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure safety and health for people in or about those buildings. They also include requirements to ensure things such as fuel and power are conserved and facilities are provided for people, including those with disabilities, to access and move around inside buildings.

Planning is there to guide the way towns, cities and countryside develop, including the use of land & buildings, how buildings look, landscaping, access to highways and how the development will affect the general environment.

For most building works, separate processes are required for both Building Regulations and Planning Permission. For building work, such as internal alterations, Buildings Regulations approval is needed, but Planning permission may not always be necessary. When in doubt you should always contact your Local Planning Authority or a Building Control Body.

When carrying out, or having construction or building work done, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) may need to be notified and there may be other duties as well under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 (CDM 2007). Although a domestic client does not have duties under CDM 2007, those who work for them on construction projects do.

If you are considering having building works, email us sales@batterseabuilders.co.uk and one of our team will be able to advise you further.

Comment

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.