hoyax

Is it hoya?

hoyax
9 years ago

Hi,

I bought hoya carnosa seeds online. This is what I got after two weeks. The leafs seems thin and long than what I saw from online pictures.

Please tell me is it hoya or any idea what they are?

Comments (11)

• hoyax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have two grow led lights (60 leds on each of them blue and red mixed) up on them. Thanks for the idea of reflection, I'm going to do something about it. The house itself is in darkness a bit. I wish like you said they are not true leaves... I really want to have my hoyas. It's not possible to find hoyas where I live right now...

Thanks for info, anyone else have experience with seeds?

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

It does not look like hoya seedlings. Hoya embryonic leaves look much more round that this. Did you happen to snap a pic of the seeds themselves? Where did you buy the seeds?

• hoyax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I bought from aliexpress. I guess it was a scam. No idea what is this plant. The seeds were similar color to hoya seeds as I seen on internet but shorter. Unfortunately I didn't take pic.

• PRO
    SRQHoyas
    9 years ago

Oh my...that is awful! I cannot believe to extent people will go to to make a quick buck. I think the best thing to do is to make buyers aware that if they are interested in growing Hoya Plants that they should buy the cutting or actual plants. This selling hoya seeds is all the craze right now and I cannot imagine it will end well for the buyers. Hoyas are rarely successfully propagated with seeds and they certainly will take a very long time to mature let alone bloom, even under ideal conditions. If they do grow strong...you may never know what you are growing? SO sorry Hoyax.

Here are some Hoya papaschonii seeds that germinated 7 weeks ago, they have a 100% success rate so far which is rare. I plan to stick with them to see what I can experience but even then I do not know if they were self pollinated or a cross.

hoyax thanked SRQHoyas
  • hoyax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thx guys. Right now I live in Morocco and there is no trace of hoya even I checked biggest gardens to buy... And then I tot it would be worth to try seeds. And this is the result :) Nothing to do Hoyas are nice aren't they :) worth to try...

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Well, the value of a learning experience is more than zero, right? Silver lining!

Growing from seeds is a different experience compared to cuttings, as Joni alluded, but it could be fun in its own right. If you still want to try growing from seeds, watch this group and a bunch of facebook Hoya groups - free Hoya seeds pop up there occasionally (not often). Generally, you just pay for postage with these free deals.

If you do not want to wait for these opportunistic rare occasions and want seeds faster, the only reputable seed seller I am aware of is Aleya Garden of Thailand, and they occasionally (more often) advertise their seeds in this facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/470642112960281/. You can join and see the history of how often it was done in the past. A couple times a month on average at least, I'd say.

I got a total of 5 seed packs from them, and only one of those packs yielded no results. In the rest, the germination rate is still pretty low, but I did get a few seedlings out of each pack. I am very excited to see how they turn out.

If somebody knows other reputable seed vendors, please post. The more options, the merrier.

hoyax thanked greentoe357
  • hoyax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I guess next time it will be Aleya Garden if I decide to buy and start all over again. Or maybe someone (mysterious) from Morocco may give me one of their precious leafs? :)

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

Are you not able to import plants into Morocco? If not, have you searched for vendors online that are in Morocco?

hoyax thanked aurorawa
  • greentoe357
    9 years ago

> maybe someone (mysterious) from Morocco may give me one of their precious leafs? :)

To spare you another disappointment... Hoyas do not propagate from a single leaf like some other plants can. Here, you need at least part of the stem. Roughly speaking, you need at least one node, meaning the stem plus a leaf or two growing out of the stem. Large-leaf cuttings sometimes come like that when people sell or trade or gift. Smaller leaf cuttings mostly have more than one node, and often many more - anything less than that makes the seller / giver / trader look stingy - except when we are talking about the rarest of species, perhaps. Google images of hoya cuttings, and you'll see what I mean, hopefully.

hoyax thanked greentoe357
  • hoyax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aurorawa(8B) seems it's not possible to import in one piece as personal. Yes I searched biggest vendors but they either don't know or don't sell. I guess I'll try to find someone in local forums with hoya.

greentoe357 yes I know what you mean, tnx for advice.

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.