kl55hp

Need some Inspiration to finish off Sitting room

kl55hp
9 years ago
Hi everyone,

I am suffering (badly) from decision fatigue! This is our sitting room, and I need help finishing off.

Some Background....
Despite its peculiar colour, I was determined to keep the original fireplace; simply for old time’s sake. The logs are also original (from a silver birch tree in the garden!)
The next decision was the curtains – had to be something to tie in with the fireplace.. I’m very pleased with how these turned out. They’re from Laura Ashley (chamomile hydrangea fabric, which includes dove grey, charcoal grey, gold, chamomile). It was a brave choice for me, but I’m really pleased.
The walls are Dulux Timeless with brilliant white above the picture rail.
The sofa and chairs aren’t special, but they do a functional job, and I don’t want to buy lovely new furniture until my children can be trusted! (They’re both under 5).
They use the little tub chairs, which we bought a few years ago from Dunelm Mill.
When I bought the nest of tables (just £11 on ebay), I always intended to paint them (ie Annie Sloan chalk paint). But now I can’t decide what colour.
The light is from Laura Ashley. I like it, and I also like that the mounting is antique brass like the curtain rail and lamp base.

My Dilemma....
So what now? I would like the sitting room to feel friendly and airy, and a relaxing space for parents. Can you help? Here are a few questions:
(1)Do you have suggestions for picture/ wall art? We live in Cambridge, and the house is 1930s with quite a few original features. So I was leaning towards Cambridge vintage rail art. See photos. Should I / could I go for all of them? What sort of frames? Where to place them?
(2)What sort of accessories/decorations for the shelves? I love animals, candles, family photos, vases, Cambridge, Australia etc.
(3)Should I add a colour or some wallpaper to the back of a shelf or two?
(4)Should I stain or paint the fireplace surround? What colour?
(5)What should I do with the Danish next of tables?
(6)Can you suggest an inexpensive coffee table to sit in front of the radiator for drinks. The space is approx. 65(w) x 75 (d). The arms of the furniture are approx. 55 – 60cm (h). I would be happy to pick up something cheap and paint it to tie in with the nest of tables? Or the fireplace surround? Just need a good suggestion as to colour.
(7)Should I add or replace cushions on the sofa?

Really look forward to your ideas!!!!

Comments (28)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.