kevin1954

Building Regs / Duel Aspect Wood-burning stove / Unresolvable issue !!

kevin1954
8 years ago
CAN ANYONE HELP ? .... We are planning to knock down and rebuild our house. It will be an oak framed house with an 'airtight' encapsulated outer shell. We want to include a central dividing room room chimney with a 'duel aspect' wood-burning stove as a feature.

Building regs state it must be appropriately vented with either 'air bricks / vents in the outside walls or air ducted to the hearth area! - Thus the 24/7 air ingress destroys the insulated / passive objective of the build. Any ideas anyone?

PS - Nobody makes a 'direct air' Duel Aspect stove.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    The Cosy Stove Company
    8 years ago
    We have a stove available. The inset tunnel has a fresh outdoor air supply kit available, if you are building a bespoke central dividing chimney then that can be made to fit this perfectly. However the beauty of this fire is that it can be made bespoke, the depth width everything can be changed. Various frames are available around the fire as well. Boasting 83% efficiency tested to EU leading standards this stove really has it all. I hope this helps.
  • PRO
    stovedesign
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi, this might solve your dilemma... A pipe under the floor to the air inlet so your building remains sealed, this was implemented in my design 'crucible' - I design & build made to measure woodburners. regards, Owen

kevin1954 thanked stovedesign
  • PRO
    Architectural Drawings Ltd
    8 years ago

We usually spec an internal slotted/louvered vent for these depending on location. That way you can close the vent when the stove isn't in use and reduce the drafts.

So start to finish, it'd be an air brick on the outside wall, connected to a plastic duct pipe (rectangular or round to suit the conditions) taken under the floor and depending on your fire place you can bring it onto the side wall of the chimney breast, or in front of the hearth etc, then use a louvered grill in a finish to suit your decor.

What you should avoid is having the inlet behind you when you're sitting in front of the stove as this will be drafty on the back of your neck.

If it's a new build then consult with your designer/architect etc to agree the best position.

kevin1954 thanked Architectural Drawings Ltd
  • kevin1954
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Many thanks. I was told that B regs stated that you cannot fit a vent or grill that can be closed off ? I realise that what I do after the build is 'signed off' is unlikely to be inspected. An option to be considered though.

• PRO
    stovedesign
    8 years ago

PS I build 'direct air' dual/treble & all aspect stoves! See stovedesign

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.