katieme2015

Open space

katieme2015
8 years ago
I have just moved in today they will be commencing works taking off the ceiling, and all the morrocan features they will also knocking down the wall that connects the kitchen to the dinning/living room and extending the kitchen horizontally by narrowing the entrance slightly and closing the kitchen entrance by the entrance i am really keen in having more storage and an island with seating area as we do entertain a lot can anybody give me any suggestions as to lay out the open plan please

Comments (89)

• katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks minnie for your helpful advice as always (bargin hunter) love the sofas although actually thinking of leather and a colour which would be easy to adapt to different schemes more like your second pic and still not sure what layout would be better ( whether a three seater and two armchairs placed where the windows are or i also love the lovechairs , love your idea of painting cabinets especially in a light grey as u may have realised by now there is an influx of honey oak everywhere and i hate it! But i am slowly having to convince my husband as he loves the cabinets. As to curtains what treatment and colours would you go for. Thanks
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

You can ignore those colours, they come in neutrals but just can't get images in neutral. I must admit finding a leather sofa in a classical design and a pale colour is not that easy or I struggle anyway! Does the room fit a 3 and a 2? You could always get a leather sofa and fabric chairs as leather chairs really add to the cost and I find they are disproportionally priced for what you get! If you hate the cabinets I would paint them, will transform them. Curtains I'd just go for a pencil pleat in grey silk or faux silk but make sure they're hung at the perfect length to keep them looking elegant.

• Related Discussions

New open plan space - ideas for the snug/lounge space?

Q

Comments (6)
    I think your snug will always seem a little dark as the room has been elongated with the extension. I think the best you could do is pop a mirror in the snug, the biggest you can afford to see if that makes a difference. A lighter coloured rug possibly? It's a great space though and I like the wallpaper :) It would be a shame to lose the original door but could you change it for one with glass panels in to let light in from the hall?
    ...See More

Clic clac sofa bed in open space

Q

Comments (1)
    You could put a console table behind the sofa
    ...See More

Turning 70s bungalow into open space

Q

Comments (10)
    Here's my take on the whole thing - lots of moving about, changing of crazy opening outward doors and random wardrobes. I've managed to avoid dismantling the Chimney breast, which would be a horrid job. Lose a bedroom to gain better bathroom and separate shower room. Change the dining room to a study and walk in closet for coats, shoes etc. Better layout of kitchen and dining area. As you see, I took out the window allowing for a shower room, thus, if you wanted to, you could eventually extend the dining area to the right - I did have to re-site the boiler, so if you do extend, make sure you still have room to vent.
    ...See More

Before & After: A cramped kitchen re-modeled to an inviting open space

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi everyone. We are sorry that you feel this way, so we have attached a few images below to demonstrate the entire kitchen before the makeover. We tend to use 1 - 2 images maximum for this type of post and we can see that this has limited the ability for full clarity on the kitchen before. We hope this helps and thank you for engaging with us!
    ...See More
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Alexis sofa from next. Plus the essex, Blenheim and Churchill all from designer sofas 4 u. The next (brown)one comes in 4 neutrals which would suit

• mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Oh yes definitely paint the units. There's a stunning kitchen here on houzz, the units are painted F&B Pavillion Grey and the floor is a lovely pale white and grey stone effect tile. Tiles are apparently from European heritage and called light earth. http://houzz.com/photos/16179469
  • mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Katie looking at the pics you've attached regarding style, there's a common thread of taupe and grey with pastel shades, so maybe go for a pale curtain with some pattern and add different pastel shades in the accessories. But looking at pics looks like your leaning towards pale blues/duck egg.
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Wow love that kitchen, think i need to convince the husband first but loving the colour of the cabinets thank you
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes definitely loving the taupes and greys the kitchen floor looks like marble its so nice shame i have dark granite worktop which i need to keep but minnie given me an idea to incorporate some black to flow through the scheme. I tend to have a tendency to overmatch things so please give me a warning if i do it. Thanks to all for your comments i am off to do some tile hunting as need to get them asap to the builder. Hate having to make rush decisions but thanks to you guys i am feeling more confident
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Oh sorry one more question would you go for sheers or blinds in the middle of the curtains and if i choose grey silk curtains would a natural beige/light tan leather sofa suit or might i be better off with a light grey leather sofa. I will be buying some paint testers over the weekend too
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

I think adding some black to a neutral scheme works well. They have black furniture in a couple of your pics. A beige sofa will work with grey curtains and maybe something like this for blinds? Image from decorology

• mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Yes don't worry you can mix different neutrals and it will help avoid being too matchy matchy. Grey silk is gorgeous, I'm jealous.
  • mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Just spotted these tiles on another post, would be lovely in your scheme http://www.floorsofstone.com/our-tile-range/marble-tiles/silver-shadow-honed-marble-tiles.html
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    This is the tile hope it works well
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Mrs mcee those are lovely tiles i was limited to choice as i needed on which rhey had in stock and didnt have to wait they look lighter in the pic thanks
  • mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Tile looks good. Found this pic, cupboards are painted Little Greene French Grey pale and look great with the black worktops. You'll notice they have added a blue accent in the blinds. It's going to look great!
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks mentioned it to my husband about painting the cabinets nearly had a fit haha think i have some more convincing to do before i am allowed to take out the brushes
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Tile looks good. Tell your husband he's going into battle with 3 women and no cooking until the cabinets are painted!

• mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Remind him - happy wife, happy life.
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hahaha dont worry girls ill get my way in the end!!!!
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Not sure whether i should have opened a new post but ill post it here as the living room area is open plan to the kitchen/dining area. Leaving the builders do their magic, i am now looking at the layout of the living room area, i am not sure on the best way to lay the furniture out i have room for a three seater sofa not to sure where to place it and not to sure if i should have armchairs and if so where should i place them also in terms of additional furniture items any suggestions as to how i can maximise the room to its full potential
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I have reattach the floor plan the living area is up to the door on the left the area before the is the dining area. The TV sockets are on the wall on the left by the door that leads to a corridor thanks
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    More pics
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    These are some ceiling lamps i like not sure which one to go for
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    It would be for the middle of the living room
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

What is the ceiling height? I like the bhs one but it may be too deep when hung. I think the 3rd is my favourite. What are the dimensions?

• katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks minnie the ceiling is not to high its about 235cm so needed to look for something a light that could be height adjusted the third one is also from bhs it is h90x50 but apparently the height can be adjusted the first one has a height of 37cm and the second height of 52cm
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

I think in theory the light should only hang 16 inches max off the ceiling with your ceiling height which I think unfortunately may discount these.. Do you know by how much the 3rd light can be eh adjusted though as it only looks about 15cm deep. The other option is to position it over a coffee table but that may be too far from the sofa? I'm struggling to see dimensions on the plan but I think I would have the same layout as previous owners with tv on "tv wall" and sofa opposite. Either 2 small chairs or love seat in the bay with a round table below the kitchen on the left as you look at the plan. I wouldn't have a light that is too long in any case as it will just make the room feel shorter

• mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Maybe you need something flush or semi flush? There's some lovely ones out there. http://www.wayfair.co.uk/Crystal-1-Light-Flush-Ceiling-Light-ERR5250-DLI3339.html?
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks will now look for alternatives as i dont think the bhs one can be adjusted that much Mrs mcee like the one in the pic but think it might be to small for the area but i ll check the website out for bigger ones thanks. Will be looking for the blinds and poles this weekend and minnie in the pic your posted of the grey curtains i love the way they make use of the windows with the curtains whilst maximising the light with the white blinds what to create something similiar with four panels of curtains but dont think i can do it with the wall i have on the right side of the window and only my left window is at an angle the builder has left a space so i can have hidden tracks/poles which is great any ideas suggestions
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Taken photos of the gap left for the poles by the windows so you can a better idea thank you
  • mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    You could have three curtains rather than four, each on the right hand side of each window, can't quite visualise whether that would look odd or not but in silk it would look luxurious because each curtain would need enough fabric to cover each window. Or have grey silk Roman blinds and white sheer curtains instead, the way your windows are seem lend themselves to blinds. Or I think you can buy something called a swing arm curtain rod, so it would swing out against the wall and curtain would rest on the right hand wall.
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

I was trying to look for corner curtain rods earlier to get the 4 panels to fit which may create the illusion of a symmetrical bay. Mrsmcee do you think that would look odd then? Katie, it may be worth creating a separate posting with clearer pictures if you can as people may get a little lost on this trail

• katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks i will measure the windows and wall and will repost clearer pics i will also start looking at poles and see what i can find
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi apparently they sell flexible curtain tracks which you can mould easily for corners so ill order them and can play around on the best way to hang the curtains i have purchased the white blinds so once they are fitted will repost in a new thread for further advice. I need to get the paint and initially was going to go fir revere pewter but read somewhere that it has green undertones, any suggestions as to what the best colour for the room would be ( edgecomb gray, gray owl, revere pewter) or any other suggestions
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Oh i forgot to say i checked the bhs ceiling lamp and the height is fully adjustable it can look nearly flushed so it may work thanks
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Which fabric would you think look best
  • mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Those paint colours you mention, are they Benjamin Moore? Can you get them in the UK?

What sort of grey do you want? Something very pale? A true grey or something with a bit of warmth?

Great news about the curtain track and light fitting.
  • mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    I love the silk but do like the subtle pattern in the first pic, it adds a bit of texture.
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks yes they r benjamin moore colours my local store colour matches them, i do like a warm grey but i also like light colours nothing very dark
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi katie. Have you found the sofa yet? Just thinking you may want a lighter colour for the walls against the sofa. Your may also end up with a grey sofa so may want a light greige for the walls. I also liked the faded look for the curtains but would probably go with the silk and add texture on the sofa,rug etc. Good news on curtain track and light!

• mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Katie, my sister has Fired Earth Bone White in her living room, it's lovely and I think it would be good for your room, worth getting a tester. See pic (not my sister's house).
  • mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Another one which would be worth a try is Little Greene French Grey Pale. They are lovely paints. Sorry I have no experience with Benjamin Moore to offer but I know that Pewter is one of their best sellers - so must be nice!
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Mrs mcee thanks the colour looks ideal but cant find that make of paint locally, will get some testers tom and see how they look. As to the sofa still havent decided will have to use the one i currently have until i have decided not sure whether i will go for a gray or beige colour not even sure on the style yet as i like the chester ones minnie posted but r they comfortable? Thanks
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

I've got a leather Chesterfield and find it really comfy. Just check your door size though as most are pretty deep (I know I'm stating the obvious but I thought I'd measured my staircase properly and hadn't!). Are you set against fabric as you have a much wider choice then for paler colours?

• katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thats good to know thanks minnie yes im afraid with one kid and another on its way its going to be tough to keep a fabric one clean so i am sticking with leather. Thought ill post some pics of how it looks today excuse the mess as it still looks like a construction site
  • irenecb
    8 years ago

YOU HAVE THE MAKINGS OF A DREAM HOME AND GOOD TASTE. YOUR STYLE AND COLOUR CHOICES ARE SIMILAR TO KELLY HOPPEN. YOU COULD MAKE A FEATURE OF THE WINDOW BY BUILDING A STORAGE WINDOW SEAT INTO THE BAY. IT COULD BE EXTRA SEATING/DINING AND SAVE FLOOR SPACE. YOU COULD PUT A NICE SMALL ROUND DINING TABLE OR FOLD AWAY TABLE AND ADD SOME KARTEL LOUIS GHOST STYLE CHAIRS THERE, THERE ARE SOME GOOD INEXPENSIVE IDENTICAL COPIES. THEY ARE TRANSPARENT ACRYLIC AND STACKABLE IT WOULD MAKE A GORGEOUS EXTRA OCCAISIONAL DINING AREA, OR A NICE SPOT FOR HUBBY TO READ NEWSPAPER. YOU COULD MAKE WINDOW ROMAN BLINDS IN SHEER VOILE THE TRICK IS TO DO 3 LAYERS, THAT WAY THE LIGHT FLOODS IN, BUT NO-ONE CAN SEE IN. YOU COULD ALSO GET A CEILING MOUNTED TRACK, MADE IN LIGHTWEIGHT PLASTIC AND VIRTUALLY INVISIBLE, THAT WAY YOU HANG LIGHWEIGHT CURTAINS FROM CEILNG, IT MAKES CEILING LOOK HIGHER. I LIKED YOUR CHOICE IN LIGHTS I LOVE THE ONE ON THE TOP RIGHT. YOU ALREADY HAVE GOOD TASTE, BUT I WOULD SAY MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF LIGHT INTO THE ROOM. GOOD LUCK.

• katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Irenecb what a nice compliment made me smile thank you.
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi wanted to provide an update works are nearly completed. I would really appreciate your advice once i have everything cleared out and cleaned as to laying out furniture and adding the finishing touches will be creating a new post just wanted to day thank you so much for all your assistance and advice
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

That's great news, hope you're pleased with it. Do post pics!

• katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks minnie at the moment its hard to assess whether i am happy as there is dust and tools everywhere but i will definitely post pics once its cleared
  • katieme2015
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Sorry was trying to put some photos on but i am unable only allows me to do it when i create a new post if you would like to see the after pics i have created a new post thanks
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.