rosperry9

Five New Washbasins and The Bonfire of the 'Vanities' OR upcycle?

Ro Ro
8 years ago

Just moved into a new home and have a fair bit of work to do! ...Walls being cut through as I write.

My first question, Houzz Mates, is:

Is there any way of totally transforming the 'vanity' units under four of the washbasins??

Secondly:

Does anyone know if the sinks are self-supporting OR do they equally / entirely rely on these little cupboards for their support?

Thirdly:

If you kindly comment and think that we should definitely get rid of some or all of these sanitary suspects, would you please tell me? ...Also please kindly tell me if you think that there is any virtue in trying to keep some or all of the sinks / under units, etc.

Please bear in mind that we are not rolling in money but could maybe fit new basins ourselves (which really means Hubs could do it!)

Final question:

Do you think that I should approach the various bath / shower / cloak rooms with one set style of decoration, i.e. Using same colours, same flooring (and what flooring would YOU recommend) same tiling?

Now: Mug shots of the individual suspects:

Below:

The en- suite to master bedroom. Quadrant-shaped shower in one corner... Tiles literally everywhere (mainly beige faux marble). Should I try and live with all this... And just add colour accents with towels and stuff?

Below:

main bathroom - can I revamp the side of the corner bath or create a substitute side? ...Because, very, very, unexpectedly, it is actually quite a nice shape to have a bath in! But it could go if you tip my scales!

Below:

this 'Jack & Jill' en suite between two bedrooms will have Jack and Jill sealed up with a new doorway fitted, to be accessed from the landing. It has no internal window. Anyone have experience of 'Sun Pipes' or 'Sky Tubes' or other system of bring light into an internal space?

Below: this doesn't have a unit under it but this shower room in the annexe is around 12ft long and 3'6" wide. The room is a T shape with the shower in the (very short) upright of the T. The room has weird (to me) tall narrow faux marble panels lining the wall on the left...

Above, the cloakroom...

HELP!

Comments (32)

• Ro Ro
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you A J Interiors! Of course, squaring off the curved bath is a perfect solution, and provides an interesting ledge. That has (literally) helped me turn a corner!

Funnily enough, I have a shell exactly like your example, from an earlier life lived next to the Indian Ocean! Having only contributed to Threads before, it is a really interesting experience to be on the receiving end of advice.

Thank you.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Ro Ro, Most welcome! :)) I'm very glad to have helped you decide on a way forward.. .. aha! How magnificent to have such a shell... and memories of the Indian Ocean.. It's a (s)hell of a good idea on my part! : ) )

Ro Ro thanked Amber Jeavons Ltd
  • Ro Ro
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Don't PUNish me! :-(

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

haha are we in sink? I do love a bit of humour.. : ) )

• Victoria
    8 years ago
    I'd second the advice you've received.
    Wash your hands of those vanity units, tap into your creative streak and keep plugging away at it...

Wall hung loos and vanities can look amazing and keeping most of the bathrooms similar will help you bulk buy. That way you'll have some spare cash to splash out in the master bathroom.

(Every pun intended)
    Ro Ro thanked Victoria
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

I say Victoria... We're a wash with humour.. Love it! : ) )

• mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    I think if money is a bit tight right now because you've moved, you could do something with those vanity units, particularly the big ones. The shape of the sink isn't bad, new taps, handles and a lick of paint in something gorgeous and they will look completely different. Here's some great advice on painting problem surfaces, it can be done: http://paintedstyle.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/painting-kitchen-cupboardseven-melamine.html.
    Ro Ro thanked mrsmcee74
  • mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Sorry for the lack of puns, my mind is frazzled after spending all day with a six year old!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Ro Ro, There are some nice basins and things at bathstore.. http://www.bathstore.com/products/euro-duo-700mm-basin-no-tap-holes-1769.html It's one example but you can get square basins with tap holes and rather think they are stylish and quite inexpensive. They do back to wall or wall hung loos as well.. Add stylish taps to it and they look fantastic.. If you liked the taps I suggested they are from Lefroy Brooks.. A bit more expensive but if you spend more and less in certain areas you can create something fantastic whilst keeping to a budget... : ))

• Ro Ro
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Victoria! Thanks for showering us with a steady flow of great puns! Every pun noticed! Yes, I was thinking that using the same elements would be useful and save wastage. So, it's a Victoria Thumb down for keeping the vanity units ... OK a clear response!

• mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    I suppose if you'd rather replace the current fittings, they look like they are in good condition, so I bet someone would buy them from you on gumtree or eBay to pull some budget back.

I've been eyeing things on: http://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/ good prices and also https://victoriaplum.com/ is cheap too. Some bargains around at the moment. Do you have a style in mind?
  • Ro Ro
    Original Author
    8 years ago

MrsM74 hi again! ;-)

i have replied to you twice, been interrupted, and lost them both - drat! I looked at the link.

Thank you very much for reminding me of ESP. That was what I used when I mentioned painting some bookcases in the 80s on the other Thread!

That makes me feel like 'Japanning' the units or something! Thanks, too, for the link to V P will have a good look after I submit this.

Style wise: Generally, I am kind of an 'Eclectic' type! And I do like grand bathrooms and loos! They are small areas that can take a bit of real over-the-topness!

However, I am a game of two halves that conflict (my Libran Scales) one modern, minimal the OTHER vivid, dramatic, etc.Having said that! I can never ever be truly minimal!

As you said, a couple of the washbasins are not bad. If we got rid of any/ all we'd put them somewhere where they could be used by someone who might want them.

Where we lived in England, there was a very well- organised dump: areas for electrical goods, building materials, wood, and so on. I found a couple of nice pieces of little tables there (a couple of quid each) that I painted.

Now, newly living here in County Cork, I'm not aware of any places like that. Thanks for your advice.

• Ro Ro
    Original Author
    8 years ago

AJIS thanks for the link. Nice crisp simple basin. You are my minimal side! ...Though you did mention antique mirrors! I'll reflect on those ;-)

I have to say this is a most thought-stimulating process! (Feel I sound like Spock off Star Trek!)

Much to mull over and the creative juices are starting to churn! Will see what thoughts arise in the morning. Enjoy your evenings! <3

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Most welcome Ro Ro.. I do like a bit of old in the bathroom.. The square is just a preference but can lean towards the period too but not in a twee way.. Spock was my favourite character Leonard and Zachary.. Yes it's gr8 to mull over things and see what you still like in the morning.. Enjoy your eve too! : ))

• Emma Finlay
    8 years ago
    Hello RoRo! Not sure if it's recovery-tiredness or pun overload but I'm going to have to mull it all over a little. That said though, with the up-cycling angle (possibly the least tempting?) there is the possibility of transplanting the sink to another unit, for a more personalised result. I saw a pic on here the other day, bear with me....and soak it all up! ;-) x
    Ro Ro thanked Emma Finlay
  • Emma Finlay
    8 years ago
    Ok, here we go. First option below could be achieved with paint - potential for big improvement with minor outlay, yay!
    2nd & 3rd options - a cabinet transplant, for a really individual result - if you have any interesting units you've brought with you, or if something catches your eye. Did I hear you mention Japanese???
    Ro Ro thanked Emma Finlay
  • Ro Ro
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, Emma. I can't imagine how you have the time to look things up for a Houzz Mate, when you are moving on Friday! Though, it can be a great relaxation looking at other people's dilemmas and shelving your own problems - I've got a PhD in that (Doctor of Postponement!)

After mrsM74 brilliantly reminded me of ESP, I mentioned 'Japanning' as it popped into my mind that I could paint the vanity unit black and put some gold patterns symbols on it.

Thank your for all your suggestions.

• Ro Ro
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dear friends - I'm feeling that:

(1) Main bedroom en-suite: perhaps here there is the only sink/unit set up worth keeping. And maybe I shall paint the unit... CHANGE the mirror... Personally, I think the quadrant shower in there should go and perhaps we replace it with a similar quadrant shower OR a cheapish but large bath with a good shower over it?

If we put in another shower/bath there. I would like to introduce another tile of a different rich colour, behind. At the moment it is too 'yin' I find it very difficult to go in there. Any views?

(2) Main bathroom: keep the corner bath and build a rectangular frame round it. Replace the washbasin with a simpler double sink with modern cupboard under? Change all the taps. (Put a new double tap with hand-held shower on the bath.) Any views?

(3) The former J&J shower room is now a blank canvas... Attaching the First Floor plan that I have done.

(4) The cloakroom: Change the sink and mirror

(5) Change all flooring to a uniform flooring, except for in the main en-suite

see FF plan below:

• mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Sounds like a plan to me. Hope this process helped to get the cogs whirring :)
    Ro Ro thanked mrsmcee74
  • Ro Ro
    Original Author
    8 years ago

MrsM74 ...and Everyone!

Yes! This process has helped me immensely!

...Haven't got clear pictures in my head yet but it has really helped me to get 'the big picture' which is what I need right now. I didn't have that. I was stuck. In fact, I was probably walking down the route of false economy as well...

Big thank you! ...But I may well be back for more advice soon... XX

• winterfloods
    8 years ago
    "Change all the taps"........

What I wouldn't give to have the waterflow we used to get from our old taps......all these new regulations for the new taps and bath fillers have given us no end of problems and extra expense in our newly-refurbished bathrooms.

At one stage we had to have the bath water supply pumped to get it filled in less than half an hour (it's not small but equally it's not THAT large).

Looks aren't everything. So my advice is to double check everything. Good luck.
    Ro Ro thanked winterfloods
  • Ro Ro
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, winter floods. Gosh, what you say is a bit alarming...

• mboerner
    8 years ago
    I think it is a mistake not to have a vanity in the bathroom. Without any storage space, bathrooms soon look cluttered and messy. The ones in your photo are not handsome, but the would replace them rather than get rid of vanities altogether.
    Ro Ro thanked mboerner
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Ro Ro, Just a little thought here.. you can create a whole range of storage that doesn't involve having something under the sink! Or you could have a back to wall floating unit.. Small and rectangular.. It does not have to look like they do now.. Also with certain taps you do need to look at the water pressure, if you want aerated taps etc.. If your taps have a good flow I am sure you won't have a problem.. :))

• Ro Ro
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello mboerner. Thank you very much for that view. Agree that storage is important. Fortunately, there is some free space against the walls in most of the rooms where something perhaps more interesting could stand. May be keeping two out four vanity units. :-) sometimes you have to mentally chuck everything out to free yourself up to find out what your own true taste is and what has keepable qualities. Have a nice day!

• Ro Ro
    Original Author
    8 years ago

G'day AJIS!

Once more, thanks for your suggestions. ; ))

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Ro Ro... No need to thank again, I just love to think of ways to create a bespoke look whilst achieving the practical function. .. :))

• Ro Ro
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Just thought that I would let you know some outcomes! If any of you kind contributors is still around. Above is a pic of the cloakroom as it is now. I did some aged mirror effects on the back of about 24 large-ish pieces of glass, then fitted the glass over some Sophie Conran wallpaper. The panelling is MDF strips.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    7 years ago
    Hello Ro Ro,

Must say those glass panels are rather good! Well done you! Happy New Year :))
  • Ro Ro
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That is very kind of you, AJ. Will put the rest of the pics on soon. Things have taken a lot longer than I had imagined but the house itself is pretty much 90% done with a long snag list of small things still remaining. A great 2017 to you!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    7 years ago

Hello Ro Ro,

I look forward to seeing them. Yes things can take longer, than you had hoped for, but it seems you're at the home stretch so to speak. So that's splendid! The little things you'll get through and you'll be enjoying your home task free in no time. Thank you so much... :))

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.