lclivingston

Wall mounted TV or not??

Lou Ella
We are going to be decorating our front living room very soon, painting over a lot of the wood including the picture rail etc. I am also considering wall mounting the TV above the fireplace which would give us more floor space. Just wondered thoughts on this? If you have yours wall mounted do you like it? Do you think it would go in this room?
Thanks!

• newton81
    I think it's a very personal choice, depending on if you would like the tv to be a focal point. I do think it would look good there. Good luck!
  • Laura
    It's down to personal preference. We put our kitchen TV on the wall and it's just too high. It's probably lower than yours would have to be though. TV stands have your TV at the ideal viewing height - your head should be level with the top half of the TV. I suppose it depends how much TV you watch

Wall mounted TV and asymmetrical radiator nightmare!

Try adding a Jali.co.uk radiator cover and bookcase under the tv - you can go on their website and design them to suit the size of the radiator and make the shelving match - for all your gadgets and DVDs etc - will look neater !!!

POLL: Wall-mounted TV above fireplace - yay or nay?

The picture shown shows us a example of a badly installed TV where no thought has been put into the interior design of that element in the room. I can almost guarantee a Technology Advisor was not involved in the project as they would have found a better solution for the finish. Sometime the area above the fireplace is the only space in the room the TV can go, and when its property thought out it can work.

TV - Wall floating stand, where can I find ?

They're available all over the place. Amazon, Made.com Ebay Ikea also sell a few different ones. What are you looking for specifically? If you're not having a lot of luck, maybe it's the search term, as you put that you want a floating tv stand...................try looking for floating wall unit.

Media tv storage unit

Thank you. My space is a little restricted (under the pitched roof) so thinking to opt for small rectangular unit. I appreciate it's difficult without a photo but currently space under the TV serves as storage so not doing it any favour! Did you manage to run all cables through the cable organiser? Your space looks nice!
  • Carl Holding

I wouldn't put tv above the fireplace I think its to high,,,but personnely I would swap the 2 seater with the tv,,,,but use a double jointed bracket on the far wall and have tv on that...

Cleverbeds Ltd

It is subjective. honestly, I think it let you make less efforts with your head inclination and posture if you study well where to locate it exactly.

• bruket

Don't put it above the fireplace, you would ruin your neck and back. I might even give you horrible headaches.

• Will
    last modified: 5 years ago

All good points (above) but I especially agree with V YOU LTD. Having the fireplace and TV on the same wall or in the same field of vision creates two competing focal points that fight for prominence, whether the TV is on or off, whether the fireplace is lit or not. If you can position your TV on/against the wall adjacent to the fireplace, that would minimise the tension, clutter and conflict - the further away from the fireplace, the better.

• Larisa Lavanda
    Wall mounted TV is a decision when you want to have more floor place. I saw it in many interiors, especially in bedrooms. But if you want to do it you should find another place. In your case it's more a matter of ergonomics and health than that of design. The place above the fireplace is too high and it will cause problems with your neck, head, spine, eyes.
  • Stuart
    I agree with the posters above. TV's should always be medium-low. Never high. (Unless perhaps you're running a sports bar) They also appear larger when they're higher - so by keeping it low you can go for a larger screen without it taking over the room. Keeping it off the wall also gives you some flexibility. Once it's up there you've got to chase out the walls to run the cables etc. Great idea for the bedroom or kitchen, but not so much for the lounge. If you do go ahead and put it on the wall run double cables of anything you could ever need (coax, ethernet, HDMI and secondary power). Good luck
  • verdigrisjane

Probably too high, as others have said. Over the fireplace is THE focal point of a room, so only consider putting it there if watching television is the main activity of the room. Personally I'd never put one over the mantelpiece. My son has one wall mounted in the corner of his room on an 'arm'. So it can be positions across the corner, or placed back against the wall at the correct height for the seating.

• John Trudgian
    Having been in the "Brown Goods " business since the 1980's - the optimum placement for any TV screen is at "eyeline".

So - when seated comfortably - measure from the floor to your eye line. This will be the Center of the TV screen height.

Next thing is distance - things have changed a bit, but in essence the viewer should be no closer than 6 times the diagonal measurement of the screen.

So a 40" screen (6x40 = 240") gives an ideal distance of 20 ft. But modern Cinema formats allow you to come much closer to allow peripheral viewing.

Poor resolution screens need a greater distance than the latest
    4K units.

It's all about comfort - craning your neck at some above fireplace units can be a pain if you are seated.
  • Lorraine Small
    Just wanted to share a pic of our TV above the fireplace. I saw this idea of framing the TV with another fire surround on Houzz and we're thrilled with it. The TV used to be on an arm in the corner to the left and it threw the look of the room - it dominated the room, looked messy and was too close to the fire. We changed it to this two years ago. The cables hide in the empty casing of the surrounds. Both surrounds are now painted in the same colour. We sit about 4m away from the TV and haven't experienced neck pain. I think it would look lovely in your room above the fire, or at least try it first, you can always revert back. The biggest dilemma is hiding the ugly sky box, router and wifi. Good luck!
  • Petite Maison

I really think a TV only works above a contemporary fireplace. I like 2sofas facing each other either side of the fireplace and move the TV to the wall facing the TV on a low bench.

• Petite Maison

Sorry, move the TV to the wall facing the fireplace

• Jo DP
    last modified: 5 years ago

If the TV is above the fireplace, it will always, always be the main focus of the room. It all depends if you want this room to be a temple to the television & if it is your only sitting room.

I have just created a "snug"/ tv room out of a bedroom, creating a dedicated tv room with a false fireplace housing a TV & a stove. I haven't tried to hide it but celebrate it. Cosy, Strictly/X factor nights, here we come !

• Lou Ella
    Thanks everyone for your comments...very helpful.
    Think we will not put it above the fireplace and once Christmas is by with rearrange the sofa's etc. The tree will be going in front of window so don't want to move it about just now.
    Good idea about the couches facing each other and tv on the other wall!
  • Vanadis Ward

Have a really level headed think about this: as a focal point it's the first thing you and everyone else is going to see the moment they walk into the room. (Mother-in-law springs to mind!) If your tv is your most valuable asset, then go ahead and make a feature of it! If not, then play about with alternatives: a picture, bookshelves, wall art, a couple of sconces either side of the fireplace. Having looked again at your photo, it is tricky. I always seek to hide my tv, preferably in a cupboard but that's because I'm not very technical. Perhaps a cubby hole chiselled into the wall over the fireplace, hidden by a picture!

• kittihawke
    The heat and smoke from the fire could ruin your tv. Maybe a nice tv cabinet to match the style of the room would be better. We got a nice low smoked glass and black lacquer one so we can't see the boxes etc inside and can also store record player and DVDs, games, in it. But this look might be too modern for this room. I sense a more traditional look like wood but in a modern format might go
  • Sam
    I've done both and kept each for years. I'm not sure which I prefer. I think the room dictates where the tele sits.
  • Gerry Rust

I think you have made the right decision and that mrowatt's suggestion of rearranging the sofas and putting the TV on the wall opposite the fireplace could work really well. It's certainly worth a try!

• slookys

TV's above fireplaces are too high and don't look good. Tv's should be level with your eyes when you are seated.

PictureFrame.TV

Here are a few examples of our MirrorTVs above fireplaces. Many of our clients don't use them for primary TV use, so they're more concerned with the fact that the TV doesn't look out of place and overbearing on the wall. Especially in more traditional homes.

Lou, please let us know if we can help in any way.

After MirrorTV (Off) · More Info

MirrorTV (Off) · More Info

MirrorTV (Mirror Frame) · More Info

MirrorTV (On) · More Info