ebgardener

Pruning Chondrapetalum tectorum (Cape Rush)

ebgardener
8 years ago

I have a large Chondrapetalum tectorum (Cape Rush) about 5-6 ft tall and wide that I would like to reduce in diameter. I have read that it is not advisable to disturb the roots. Whereas the Monrovia site states it is okay to divide. Which is true? How best can I reduce the diameter of this plant then? Should I then simply keep cutting the outer stems down to the ground? Thanks.

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

there arent many times.. that cutting a plant down ... will make it smaller ...

in other words... do not confuse pruning ... with dividing ...

i dont know this plant .. but if i was you ... i would sharpen a shovel ... and cut it in half.. or quarters ... and take most away ... the trick.. is leaving part ... undisturbed ...

but the key would be ... if the rest died ... so be it.. its already a problem plant ... lol ... and that is your base problem... your worrying about it .. whereas... many of us.. would just act... and let the dice fall where they may ...

ken

ebgardener thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

Unlike ornamental grasses, rushes and restios grow from the center out so the newest growth is in the interior of the plant (with OG's, newest growth is on the exterior of the plant with the center dying out over time). Uniformly cutting back or pruning rushes - like what is done with many OG's - is NOT suggested as they respond poorly to this treatment, sometimes to the point of dying. It is suggested that you remove the older perimeter stems/blades periodically and manually cut off any older or dead stems that might be located on the interior of the clump.

And they can be divided although this may retard any growth for awhile - they do tend to pout :-) But wait until spring or early fall to do so. It may be best advised to transplant the entire clump to an area where its size is not a concern.

ebgardener thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have a huge clump of this, growing amongst cyperus...and have to say, I have found it to be largely indestructible, barely noticing being yanked viciously apart to attempt to separate the two species which were hopelessly entwined. True, a Z8 climate is rarely punishing for plants but I had always considered this rush to be quite tough and able to withstand my (ill) treatment. I would also advise waiting till spring and the plant is starting into growth (autumn is not usually a prime time for dividing any of my grasses or sedges). I tend not to cut outer growth but give it a good tug sideways so the whole sheath comes away from the base. Wear thick leather gloves as it can be hard on your hands.

ebgardener thanked User
  • PRO
    Lauri Burrier Garden Design Inc.
    3 years ago

Cape rush Growing and Maintenance Tips

Cape rush should need very little maintenance, if any. If the plant becomes too wide, you can reduce the width by cutting back some of the stems at ground level.

If the plant becomes too tall, we strongly recommend that you don't reduce the height by shortening the stems. The plant will look ugly really quickly if you do this! If you really don't like the height, dig the plant up and transplant it to a more appropriate spot or give it to a friend.

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.