mari_fflur

Should we keep our old fireplaces?

Mari Wiliams
7 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Would really love to hear some thoughts on my two fireplace dilemmas :) Dilemma #1: what should I do with this fireplace surround?

It's in the living room of the Edwardian (1906) semi we're renovating. It may predate the house and isn't really to our taste, though I'm loath to get rid of a period feature. I think it's too antique/ornate to paint and it needs a new insert and hearth. I want the room quite light and neutral but I large wooden fireplace could work against that. Dilemma #2: we're knocking through from the living room to the second reception room (+ partition doors). The second room has a tiled fireplace which I think we'll remove (though I quite like it in itself). If we do keep the first fireplace, can anyone suggest what kind of fireplace to replace the second one with, seeing as the two rooms will be joined together? Open to any suggestions!

Comments (34)

• A Babbsy
    7 years ago
    I'd keep the first (but with new tiling!) & ditch the second.

However you might need to replace both if you want a matching look!
    Mari Wiliams thanked A Babbsy
  • sksj1
    7 years ago
    Keep the first and replace tiles with neutral mosaic type tiles. If you want to coordinate your new fireplace in the adjoining with this one I'd suggest getting one made in wood (or mdf) and paint it, but take some of the style/ shape from the other one to link them.
    Mari Wiliams thanked sksj1
  • Related Discussions

Should we change our boiler to a combi?

Q

Comments (3)
    Are you sure that the water pressure is low to your neighbours as well? If you have not had the water main from the road to your house updated it could still be lead or cast iron. Some water companies pay part of the cost of replacing lead pipes. The pressure for the water supply to the shower would be from the tank. The mains supply may may only go direct to your kitchen tap and other taps are just off tank pressure. I would recommend getting some expert advice from a heating engineer or reputable plumber. A new heating system is an expensive purchase and you want to get it right. If you are considering solar hot water panels combi boilers are not generally suitable.
    ...See More

What product should we use to treat our new banisters?

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Ruth, I can highly recommend Sadolin Extra Durable Woodstain both for interior and exterior use. After originally using Ronseal 5 Year Woodstain for exterior use on some hardwood doors and finding it not to be very durable at all, we had the same dilemma as to what to choose and use. After settling on Sadolin Extra Durable Woodstain we have been extremely pleased with the results both in appearance and in longevity, and can highly recommend it. I have not had any experience of using Dulux Woodsheen so I am afraid I cannot comment on that particular product. I hope that helps a little. Regards, Damian
    ...See More

Should we try and strip the fireplace??

Q

Comments (11)
    It's a beautiful shape, but quite dark and dated. Perhaps painting to a contemporary, non-wood tone (bold colours, pastels, dusky colours, white, or black) whichever suits the interior style. You can also replace the fireplace with a bio ethanol fireplace insert. The grate will lift the look of the fireplace with a new life, and without the need for chimney or flue. Good luck!
    ...See More

should we paint our limestone fireplace?

Q

Comments (11)
    Which do you prefer? The warm creamy hue of the fireplace or the cool hue of the walls? They don't go, but I'm not sure I would want to put paint on the stone. One reason they don't go isn't just the hue, it's the tone. They are both light and this is exaggerating the difference. Is it possible to keep the other walls in the room the pale grey and do just this wall and woodwork a much deeper colour?
    ...See More
  • User
    7 years ago

the first one is definitely worth keeping :D

are you sure you don't want to paint it? I find that it is actually easier to paint ornately carved items as you don't get brush marks. A contemporary colour would make it get the attention it deserves. I agreee that the tiles need to be replaced tho!!

with the second one...firstly I would have a go at finding a similar one to the first- you never know what you could find out there :D or get one made-we did that with skirtings and architraves and coving bcos we couldn't find nice stuff that linked...and it worked out cheaper :D

Mari Wiliams thanked User
  • Jake Norris
    7 years ago

I'd love that first one for my gothic revival flat. Please don't paint it! As said change the tiles.

Mari Wiliams thanked Jake Norris
  • Joanna C
    7 years ago
    It sounds like you hate fireplace one so you could sell it on to a new home. As you do like fireplace 2, you could replace the first one with sth similar. There's no point keeping things you don't like.
    Mari Wiliams thanked Joanna C
  • Jake Norris
    7 years ago

I'd be interested in buying fireplace one.

• Mari Wiliams
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks all! Really helpful to get different views on this. My husband really likes fireplace one so we're likely to keep it (though I'll let you know if we change our minds Jake!). New tiles is a must, I agree. We'll also start looking for something similar to 1 to replace 2, I think. We might be able to put 2 in one of the bedrooms or something...

• tessaway
    7 years ago
    Sell it or you will grow to regret it if it isn't to your style or taste.
    Not very attractive really.
  • Sven
    7 years ago

I would personally remove both and buy something that I do like. Matching fireplaces do look very chic.

• Jane Mockett
    7 years ago

The first fireplace is huge and very dark,It might be easier on the eye if it was stripped and just varnished with a clear satin varnish.The fire itself is very small by comparison so perhaps making a bigger aperture for the fire ( and have less tiles if any) would make it work better.The Deco fireplace is too small for the room and tiles are cold looking.I would try and find something of similar promotions to the wooden one but less ornate and have a similar pale wood finish.

• rosebud1969
    7 years ago
    Never ever get rid if the first fireplace - it is a beautiful period feature of your house. My house is Edwardian with similar fireplace and I have used Farrow & Ball paints - shades of green, Tallow on wood; brought outside in - house plants, old books about shells, birds etc and even a sheep's skull on the shelf, lol! (The Edwardians loved their natural history and it will compliment your home).
    Mari Wiliams thanked rosebud1969
  • rosebud1969
    7 years ago
    Just to continue - I wouldn't paint fireplace - just use light colours in room or you will lose some of the lovely detail in carved wood. Have a couple of pieces of dark wood furniture in room too as this will help balance the overall look. Light colour sofas, curtains for eg, but dark colour vintage rocking chair, coffee table.
    Mari Wiliams thanked rosebud1969
  • dwjudd
    7 years ago

The first one keep, don't paint, and dont change tiles, just paint them, leaving the red side tiles. Chuck the other one out

• Sonia
    7 years ago

I love the first fireplace and wouldn't touch it, but my friend recently painted her old fireplace in Farrow & Ball Bone and it looks really good. I agree the tiling is horrid so replacing them with something that suits your eventual room decor may be a good idea. However, if you don't like it then flog it, you'll have people fighting over it I bet! The second fireplace is typical 1930's deco look which I personally hate and just a load of ugly tiles (I removed two in my house). It's your decision in the end, and I wish you lots of luck!

Mari Wiliams thanked Sonia
  • User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I love the first one ,and would keep it.The tiles need to come out and be replaced with a full polished cast iron inset to reflect light, and a black hearth.I would paint it the same colour as the wall ,charcoal grey ,to minimise its size and hang a silver framed statement mirror above it. The rest of the walls and furnishings could be light coloured to contrast with the darker wall.The tiled one would have to go.My nan had one in her prefab and kept a bottle of port ,for emergencies, in the coal scuttle beside it! Didn't like it then,not too keen now. Lots of great ideas from everyone so good luck in whatever you choose to do!

Mari Wiliams thanked User
  • soozmacrae
    7 years ago

Usually I don't like old features to be removed but in this case I would get rid of both. Sell the first one and replace the second. Keep the open fire places in both rooms. There are some beautiful fire surrounds repro or modern available.

• design_conscious
    7 years ago

The first one looks huge and probably too large for the room. I would take down the wood surround and sell it. Find a more appropriate smaller surround for the remaining tiled area. You could always paint the tiles as they are rather ugly. The second fireplace is a typical 1950s hideous style. Remove it and replace it with one that complements the re-newed No 1. There are many styles to choose from depending on the period you want to reflect. No. 1 can be anything you want. Hope this helps.

• 260538maggie
    7 years ago
    I had an old fireplace and husband said no way I'm I going to get it out. So glad he said this to me although it was a lot of painful hours I did strip it back down to its natural colour and then when this was done I went over it with bees wax. It was lovely in our lounge and I was so pleased he didn't give his permission to pull it out. It is a lovely fireplace you have so don't pull it out, but you have to strip the paint right back and wash it of course every time you strip it. Although a lot of work it's certainly worth it. Happy times ahead.
  • Mari Wiliams
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Wow thanks for all your opinions! Not a lot of agreement on #1 but it's very useful to hear reasons why we should or shouldn't keep it. #2 is definitely going!

260538maggie, how did you strip yours?
  • jillfryer90
    7 years ago
    it's awful in a modern light room. take it out..let someone else love it.
  • jillfryer90
    7 years ago
    take that one out and board up the hole...or if you have the funds take the chimney out all the way up and have more space
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Hi. Re the first one, as you're semi-detached do you know what your neighbours fire looks like? It appears to predate the house but in my search for an appropriate fireplace for my house I have seen a couple that are similar and supposedly Edwardian. personally I would replace both with something simpler of the period which can be picked up cheaply and will match your style. They don't need to match ( not sure if they would have originally?) but maybe tie in in some way be it wood surround, cast iron etc

• PRO
    Bio Fires
    7 years ago

The first fireplace is a great piece. Definitely keep it, but update it by changing the tiles. I think the frame is a beautiful design and shape, but perhaps too dark for the style you're wanting to achieve. I would strip the frame to its lighter colour and paint a new varnish or colour depending on your interior.

You can replace the fireplace with a new bio ethanol insert. A traditional bio ethanol basket would be a perfect solution for your traditional mantelpiece, as its classic neutral style will blend seamlessly with the frame, whilst modernising your fireplace with a new life. As bio ethanol burns cleanly, you wouldn't need a chimney at all.

As for the second fireplace, you could also replace it with a stylish freestanding bio ethanol fireplace for a simple replacement. Or you could strip the outer tiles of the fireplace hole, and fill the hole with the same or similar classic neutral style insert as the first fireplace, matching the two together.

• PRO
    ON&ON
    7 years ago

If you're looking for a contemporary solution take a look at Cowley Manor Hotel http://www.cowleymanor.com/gallery.htm they've just painted some of their existing fireplace in really strong colours either to match or to contrast the walls and they look great!

• Juliet Docherty
    7 years ago

I'm glad I don't have a period fireplace to ponder over, it seems quite a stressful decision.

• PRO
    Xenon Interior refurbs Marilyn Watson
    7 years ago
    That deco fireplace is awesome. No don't replace it
  • apismalifica
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The art deco one is stunning, keep it, or at least sell it on to someone who has a place for it - people ripped out Victorian ones in to 60s and we are still getting rid of the deco ones, which makes them rare and increasingly desirable. They are fragile and so easily damaged and it's a lovely example.

• PRO
    Solid Furniture Design
    7 years ago

The first one looks amazing, would not do any thing with it at all!

• Martine Gagne
    7 years ago

Our house is 1860's and the various fireplaces have been changed along the way. The nicest looks just like your number 1 and is a real keeper, unpainted. To modernise it you could consider replacing the tiles with a solid surface (like marble) with distinctive veining. Its a great way to give a fresh and elegant twist to the more traditional wood surround. You may find a bargain at a stone yard (cutaways from bigs slabs etc...).

• PRO
    Kitty-lynne jones interior design (BIID)
    7 years ago

The Edwardian fireplace is the correct proportion and age for the house. Hard to tell if it is actually original to the house or if it is Mahogany or Oak, but don't paint it. Wood has a beauty of its own if treated with a natural finish like Beeswax and the patina of age adds to the beauty. Certainly don't varnish it. One of the reasons it appears heavy in the photo is the oak surround on the hearth tiles. My advice would be to remove the wood hearth surround and install a wood floor in the room (perhaps oak and slightly lighter in colour than the fireplace butting up to the tiled hearth). This will will compliment the fireplace and ground it. You could remove the tiles (normally I would keep original tiles) but the cream and maroon colours in this instance do give an overall heaviness and don't particularly enhance the fireplace, however I would leave the tiles for the moment. The finished scheme should look classy and elegant with a neutral colour palette. If this is going to be a working fireplace than you may consider a grey slate hearth. This is the focal point of your room so getting it right is key. Wherever possible conserve original features.

The 1930's fireplace on the opposite side would appear original and most likely installed in the 30's. It is charming but not proportionally correct for an Edwardian house. But because it tells a story and is original I would be loath to remove it. Selling it on would be tricky as the tiles will most likely damage when removing them. I would keep both fireplaces as they will both sit well in a neutral colour scheme with a wooden floor.

• Mari Wiliams
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    That's extremely useful everyone - thanks!

Kitty, you'd strip the wooden one then? And any tips on how best to do that? I think I'd like it a lot better if it wasn't so dark.
  • PRO
    Stonehouse UK
    7 years ago

If you go down the replacement route as some are suggesting then a matching pair of Bath stone fireplaces would look fantastic in your home. You could opt for different designs in each room matching the stone or go for similar designs in different colour/type stone. In my opinion I would definitely replace no. 2.

• Jonathan
    7 years ago
    I like the ornate wood surround and I think the proportions sit well in your age of house.
    Personally in think the issue is the hearth and the insert. I think you feel it looks too heavy because it is the only dark thing in the room.
    If you replaced the insert with cast iron and had a slate or granite hearth it would stand well in any interior old or modern. I also liked the earlier suggestion of floor boards.
    In the next room I would try to replace the tiled fireplace with one with similar proportions as the first. Alternatively an oversized floor standing mirror with an ornate wooden (or darkly painted) frame would also help tie the two rooms together
    Mari Wiliams thanked Jonathan
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.