ali_hallworth

Comfy corner in new kitchen/family room?

Alf Ha
7 years ago

Hi, last year we renovated our small 1920's house by knocking 3 tiny rooms into one nice sized kitchen/dining/general hang-out-all-the-time-space (a hallway, very small living room for TV, and toilet under the stairs are the only other spaces downstairs). We're delighted with the results and have loved living in the space - it really has changed our lives and is perfect day to day for our family.

But we messed up one thing in the planning - we didn't factor enough space for a social comfy corner for entertaining - esp as the living room doesn't work for that either. We'd love a corner sofa (but they all seem huge) or any configuration of soft seating for say 6 people, without having everyone sitting along one wall facing the same way! As you can see from the pics because of the 'walkway' at the side of the island its tricky and the shortest wall of the corner - facing the fireplace - is only 115cm which isn't big enough for even a chaise on a sofa. And we can't get seating on the other side of the fireplace because of the table. Nor facing the fireplace as it would be almost in the fire! As I said, a lack of planning!

So we probably need to think laterally about incorporating some seating which doesn't swamp the space, but are struggling to come up with anything! Except something bespoke which I'm sure we couldn't afford :-( would be great to hear any ideas, thanks! PS please ignore the Guineapig cage which will be moving soon...

The space above works really well, and below we love our grandmother clock and wood burner ... But is there a way we can make the space to the right of that have soft seating which can expand to 6 adults? Or are we trying for the impossible?!

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.