emmelinewe

What do you want to read about on Houzz this year?

Emmeline Westin
7 years ago

It's a brand new year, and so we'll obviously be publishing brand new content!

What would you like to read about? Any preferred topics? All suggestions are welcome, but of course, we can't promise that we'll pick your idea.

Wimbledon · More Info

Comments (53)

• A B
    7 years ago

I'd love to see some of the regular contributors homes, I imagine they are all beautiful. Are you volunteering to go first MATH?!

• Juliet Docherty
    7 years ago

I would like to see articles about how to solve design dilemmas that are relevant to more typical homes and solutions that aren't necessarily 'on trend'. For example, if I search 'what colour to paint an East facing room' there are lots of articles that are cutting and pasting advice from Farrow and Ball, or Abigail Aherne (paint the room really dark) and little else. Some 'before and afters' on subjects such as these would be so helpful. Interestingly, on the subject of paint colours and room aspect there are lots of conflicting opinions. Thanks for asking.

• Related Discussions

What do you love about your garden?

Q

Comments (8)
    Nature has a power that acts upon us . . . a garden is alive (at least at certain times of the year) and is continuously demonstrating the powers of creation . . . . brings us cleaner air, anchors the soil, engages our senses . . . what's not to like? (i do prefer to encourage the small creepy crawly things to stay in the garden . . . )
    ...See More

What do you like about January?

Q

Comments (9)
    i like the fact that it's still socially acceptable to make comforting stews and soups, load up on blankets, and stay at home reading books and going through multiple cups of tea. Once the temperatures start to climb, you're bound to start feeling a bit guilty if you stay inside all the time.
    ...See More

What do you think I should do about this old dresser?

Q

Comments (25)
    wow stellahome, what a grand house and entrance! I'm intrigued! Do you have many original features left in the house? servant bells maybe? :) Post some pictures for us! I am very familiar with lassco, in fact I currently live 5 mins away from there, and pop in often, they have many wonderful items which really enhance an old house. Took a couple of more pictures today of the dresser, as even though it looks very worn, look at the dovetail joint details! They certainly don't make them like this anymore (unless you pay a hefty price for it!)
    ...See More

What do you think about porcelain floor tiles for a living room?

Q

Comments (7)
    I have wood effect tiles in my hall and kitchen, I'm not sure if they are porcelain or ceramic but they aren't holding up too well. Tiny chips appear and it looks like little specs of paint on the floor :( not sure where they come from whether it's when something is dropped on it or a chair scraped or something but I wouldn't have them down myself (they were here when we bought) I have however had Karndean flooring laid in my lounge and that is superb. Not noisy underfoot nor cold unlike wood and laminate so I'm very happy with that. Needs hoovering everyday though, but I have a toddler and a dog.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    7 years ago
    Lol - an interview and home visit ?! I'd make you all a cuppa and a scone with jam if you [the Houzz team ] wanted to visit !!
  • Jonathan
    7 years ago

Loving the idea of cake with Karen!

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Karen holding court with tea and cake, i'm in!

I like many on here, spend so much time helping other people and working, I don't get round to half the jobs at home. I have to do the main bathroom this year and am still getting it in the ear hole about the Attic! Little by little we chip it down, and we've always got a project on the go. The wife's a serial improver. So much so did she nag about the downstairs shower room late November, that i came home one day and she'd removed all the tiles, dismantled the shower and said, now we've got to start! She did all the new tiling, I did the tongue and groove, she painted and I re-built the shower. Always a team effort round here.

• Jonathan
    7 years ago

For me I would love to see more variety to the stories. Perhaps you could showcase new innovations such as beautiful but efficient appliances. Perhaps there could be discussion about how to reduce energy consumption. I would be interested in articles about upcycling furniture. I would also be interested in garden success stories where a modest garden has become a town oasis or a safe place for the children. How about showcasing the best conservatories since so many people have an underused conservatory. There could also be ideas about ways to disguise the unattractive....such as garage doors, the recycling bin, the radiators etc. there are loads of topics that I haven't seen (forgive me if they have been covered and I have missed them):

What about the following? - new ways to use mirrors, how to create an indoor garden when you live in a flat, how to reinvent/personalise shop bought curtains/ accessories, how to achieve a designer/celebrity look by buying on the high street, how to incorporate a big fire and TV into a lounge, modular furniture pros and cons, what (sometimes) unfamiliar technology to consider when buying your next kitchen (such as steam ovens, LED lighting, induction cooking, downdraft extractors, electric opening cabinets, fold away doors, dust seals, new door front technology such as concrete style resins plus the improved technology of laminates, fingerprint proof cabinet doors, porcelain work surfaces, hot water taps, clever cabinet inserts, pop up sockets and USB chargers etc, etc.)

I would love to see stories that showcase how people delivered change despite planning or conservation restrictions, stories that look at buildings that have had a change of use perhaps from retail/warehouse/bridge arch/public toilet/church/bank into a home, articles that showcase the best of British design and reminds us of Chippendale, Ercol, Heritage, vintage G Plan, the legacy of Conran, Liberty, Charles Rennie Mackintosh etc, etc. I would love to see a story where mid century furniture is used alongside contemporary choices or how to buy Mid Century furniture well, what to look out for and how much to pay.

What ever you decide to bring us in 2017 I am sure that we will still visit as often as we can. Thanks for all of your hard work and Happy New Year.

• Dundrum 16
    7 years ago
    Before suggesting new content I'd first like to thank the contributors who make this site such a joy - I confess it's the first thing I look at when I wake up, and, as I'm in the midst of building a house, I consult it several times throughout the day. As well as the professionals who offer such useful perspectives, I am in awe if those like minnie101, MATH, Carolina and others (there, I knew I shouldn't have started a list - someone important is bound to be left out, so I won't add any more!). Their knowledge and willingness to share it is for me, a big part of the success of the site. I have been encouraged to add things I wouldn't have considered, and to leave out things I would have included without thinking. As for new content? For me - ANYTHING BUT GREY!
  • Dundrum 16
    7 years ago
    Sorry MATH - I know you are a professional! That's the problem with lists!
  • User
    7 years ago
    I discovered this site last year after moving somewhere that requires more than basic redecoration, updating, etc, and feeling a bit lost where to start with the bigger projects. I've muddled along so far using the articles and comments for inspiration, but what I'd like to know more about is how, when and what to use professionals for. So perhaps a series of articles along the lines of... 'When would I use an interior designer; architect...' and so on, detailing what work is undertaken, typical costs, case studies, etc.
  • ruth_reaney30
    7 years ago

- Flooring between different rooms and spaces internally and externally

- Kitchen lighting style design tips

- Agree with shjuly71 about when to use pros. We've discussed our kitchen design with four companies and none have picked up on our awkward corner space, eliminating the fridge door opening conflict with the island unit or higher level storage opportunities storage. And importantly what questions to ask kitchen designers

• J A
    7 years ago
    I would love an article about how to improve the look of pebbledash or a bad render job. Or more generally (massive self interest here) how to approach a renovation of period house that received the worst excesses of 60s and 70s.

Original staircase banister and spindles removed
    Original fireplaces removed
    Sash windows removed

With a limited budget, living on site which aspects should be prioritised? What can be handled by a motivated amateur and when can an expert really add value? And which expert - architect or architectural technician?
  • J A
    7 years ago
    Pressed submit to quickly.

But it would be super helpful if in articles we could have some that are less coy with budget. So something helpful to have for example renovation articles on a budget of £2.5/5/10/15k etc comparing the options at each budget level etc. I struggle to know what the compromise points are for different price points.

Also please do an article about boilers and working within planning constraints on bog standard terraces.

Otherwise love Houzz!
  • Daisy England
    7 years ago
    General hints and tips. I don't mean giving instructions on how to do a job but general household tips that could be money saving. For instance using a lemon to get rid of limescale etc.
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Lots of people i see asking for articles on how to do renovations on budgets, specifics such as staircases, fireplaces, spindles Tips on how to do things. Also when to use professionals. I would say that you all need to frequent the 'Design Dilemna' section and post your problems in there. It's where we all sit dishing out free advice on so many problems, not just Design. Everything from how to best 'unbung' loos to huge big extensions. Maybe Houzz should rename that section 'Advice Column' instead of 'Design Dilemnas' it's a little more fitting of the action that goes on there!

Anyway, thanks to all that said thanks, it means more than any customer service award or such like. I do it because i love it and i love to help.

Happy New Year to all houzzers from the wife and I.

x

• PRO
    MBH Carpentry and Joinery Ltd.
    7 years ago
    I like to see before and after photos I myself always forget the before photos and only seem to get permissions for my finished works. I get a lot of satisfaction knowing I have completed a project for a customer that they are over the moon with and for me I would like to see other projects that are completed at the lower end of budgets. I also enjoy being able to showcase my projects on Houzz!

I tend to sit back on Houzz and read everybody else's advice on dilemmas posted until I am absolutely sure I can offer some help to someone ( confidence thing).

I like being able to ask pros for advice to for me that is a tool I can use to expand my knowledge of something I am unsure of.

All in all Houzz is fab and here's to hopefully a great 2017.
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Matthew Hicks. If you open a project folder you can have as many photo's as you like. Then when writing your post, just add a link to the project folder. That way you can have as many pics as you like. Here's one of mine as an example St Albans Road - A full renovation

• PRO
    MBH Carpentry and Joinery Ltd.
    7 years ago

Thank you will give it a go, your project looks fab and just what I used to get involved in before I went self employed now I just stick to what I know best!

• AMB
    7 years ago
    Would definitely like to see more 'before and after' articles on normal British homes (from just redecoration to full architectural ovehaul) and gardens, and less twee articles about things like crafting and family. I consider this an art and design website/app, not a lifestyle one.

I'd also like to see the professional articles focus less on London - London isn't the only place in the UK!

The amount of advertising you are using is just right too, please don't increase it as it puts people off!
  • Lauren
    7 years ago

I would be quite interested in how/where/why interior design professionals source their inspirations and products from. I always value pro recommendations because you know they are tried and tested! (Thinking along the lines of lighting/curtains/kitchen goods etc).

Though I do appreciate they may not wish to give all their secrets away!

Another area that I think would make a good series of articles- history of design:- tudor/georgian/victorian/edwardian/modernism/art nouveau/art deco/eco friendly housing/greek rules of classic proportions/history of interior lighting/how materials have changed our homes (cork/lino/bakelite) who invented them and why? etc.

What defines them? Whats the history behind it? How can they be influential in todays home? I love to feel more immersed in how we've come to the point we're at today and often it helps to provide context for what we find most comforting and pleasing in design.

Ambirchall1985 makes a good point about the advertising too. You guys are doing it right!

• moiraford
    7 years ago
    Personally, I'd like us all to have hints and tips about how to deal with the planning departments of our local councils, who seem to be a law unto themselves. They need to be made more accountable for consistency of approach. Until they adopt more flexible approaches good innovative design will suffer. Innovation in approach will lead to more ideas about affordable housing, which first time buyers badly need. ( steps off soapbox) .
  • Aisling W
    7 years ago
    I second most of the points on this thread but in particular, normal houses - e.g. kitchens renovations which aren't part of an extension project and more floorplans. It's very difficult to figure out how different spaces relate to each other when you can't see how the rooms flow.
  • melodych
    7 years ago

This is a great site, but I'd like to see the following in 2017:

- A revamped search function. Having read posts above I went in search of how to unblock a loo and could find nothing that matched, yet lots of stories about everything but loos!

- More floorplans. These would help so much, especially as the housing stock in the UK is so similar. It would be great to see floorplans for revamped 1930s houses for example; there are a lot of them about!

• Gail Casarez
    7 years ago
    First, I love this site and thank you for the opportunity to post our ideas. I agree with June Hulton's comment. I would like to see a more realistic size of house and doable changes within a smaller budget (i.e. California ranch style home that's 60 years old).
  • geoff_hardy2
    7 years ago

I also agree with June Hutton, and I would like to see more small living space ideas such as granny annexes. I am hoping to convert part of my home into a small dwelling for myself and do some alterations for my daughter and family to live in the rest of the house. More realistic projects would be good

• Kim Williams
    7 years ago
    I would like to see more on garden design.
  • lego_girl
    7 years ago

I was totally addicted to houzz when in the midst of renovating our home! I still love to read the weekly emails but my design attention is now on the garden. I'd love to see more on garden design, maintainence, features to add to the garden, what trees to plant (current dilemma), kitchen gardens, garden storage, disguising the oil tank, driveway updates and other articles on the exterior of the property. Thanks!

• ljpops
    7 years ago

I would also love to see more articles about 1930s houses in the UK. Lots of us live in them and they can have a charm of their own, but there are only a handful on Houzz.

• G T
    7 years ago
    I would like to see designs for some terraced and semi terraced I do love all the pictures but sadly not all of us have the space nor the money so in hard times some tlc for the norms
  • Lena
    7 years ago
    Thank you, dear Houzz team, for great articles and tips. Your website beats Facebook for me!
    I'd like to see more practical articles on doing projects on reasonable budgets with relevant figures clearly stated (like some design magazines do).
    More ideas for tackling 60/70s houses - there are so many of them and quite a few are design disasters
  • Lena
    7 years ago
    It is a great idea to give awards to the best contributors. Probably have a popular vote and arrange some prizes? I saw many reputable brands registered on Houzz, possibly they would have liked to contribute as it will be a great ad for them?
  • Lena
    7 years ago
    Also I wanted to thank people who contributed to discussions giving relevant and practical advice.

I personally find articles on Houzz pretty informative as it is the best way to find a professional. Instead of relying on "the word of mouth" when other people's personal tastes and experiences could contradict my own, I would rather check design tips and articles on Houzz!
  • alinlondon123456
    7 years ago

Thanks to everyone!

I'd love to see more floorplans and furniture arrangement schemes, and agree with Melodych that this is particularly relevant in the UK, where housing stock often follows similar footprints.

I'd also like to see "where I found it"- type shopping profiles. For example, showcasing different UK antique markets or regional specialties. It would be a great way to connect Houzz readers to local artisans, and to help readers get more savvy about shopping differently/ in a non mass-produced way. (Personally, my home is a blend of unique one-offs and mass produced stuff, but my dream is to only buy unique pieces that are ethically sourced, but I don't always know how to do it!!!)

I'm addicted to Houzz- many thanks to all the contributors, whether professional passionate or just passionate. We are planning on undertaking a very large reno/extension this year, and already can tell Houzz will be crucial for our sanity!

• Shoba Paireddy
    7 years ago

Hi,

I love Houzz... it gives a lot of inspiration and ideas and i just love to watch all the beautiful spaces transformed.

And then reality checks in where i realize that i don't have that space or money. I would like to see budget home updates and budget prices in the UK. I live in a semidetached home.. though there are beautiful ideas to steal from the houses that are shown in Houzz... i cant afford the space or money. It would be nice to see how the people like me update their homes with a minimal budget and create a satisfying look to their homes.

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

I'd like to see more content from outside London, with realistic budgets!

• PRO
    Salvation Furniture
    7 years ago

How about some interviews with small makers/artisans who are producing something a little different, one-off and bespoke for the home? It would be great to see some smaller business given the spotlight to talk about their passions! Happy to take up the first slot ;)

• Anicecuppatea
    7 years ago
    Am a great fan of houzz and agree with many of the above comments so far. How to work with small spaces eg terraced houses and awkward shaped flats (due to poor conversions) is a priority for me.
  • Tameha Nazim
    7 years ago
    Ideas for refurbishment of average uk homes with not-so-big rooms and low ceilings! Houzz has so many ideas for spacious victorian houses and barn conversions which i dont find applicable on a lot of smaller uk houses...
  • kikiamack
    7 years ago
    I would like to see some articles on finishing touches / staging / styling / vignettes. I enjoy looking in the bloggers homes so would definitely like to see some more "real life" homes once they've been lived in for a bit.
  • PRO
    Feature Radiators
    7 years ago

Radiators of course! ;) But seriously, we get so many customers calling that have no idea where to start when it comes to upgrading their radiators. An article giving advice about heat outputs, different materials, efficiency, etc would be very useful.

• Victoria Harrison
    7 years ago

Thank you all so much for your comments and ideas! We love hearing from all of you and will be taking a really good look through this list to make sure we address as many of your requests as possible. Keep the ideas coming and thank you all for being such a positive and enthusiastic community! The Editorial Team

• PRO
    OnePlan
    7 years ago
    I've taken on board some of the comments here about smaller homes and have added a couple of smaller projects /30's type knock through etc will try and put some more up when I get time !

As they are drawings they will probably only be shown on my pro page - so please swing by and take a look if you want !

We do iPad sketch designs, as well as pro plans with panoramic views, etc so there's a mix on there ! Enjoy !!
  • PRO
    Whitbydesign
    7 years ago
    Keep up the great work! I love scouring Houzz each morning and would also ask for more before and after pictures! Plus, its always useful to see more floor plans or measurements of individual rooms.

Also, if there is an obvious feature of fitting in a photo, such as a light fitting or furniture or tiles etc, it would be really useful to have this info included instead of having to send a question... although most people reply to any questions asked!

• sil2014
    7 years ago
    Above all, thank you for everithing that makes Houzz what it really is, the best site and the most addictive app I've ever had! I agree with topics already mentioned, such as works done in other places than London, the budget thing, and someone mentioned something like the"history behind of" nowadays materials and I'd add pieces of furniture, etc. That would be great!
    Many many thanks to everyone!
  • alant1000
    7 years ago
    Most of the houses here are themed around Scandi, rustic, mid century or country.

It would be nice to see some more modern designs, many of us are in new builds or newer buildings and (other than Scandi) there are not many styles other than modern which work.

It would also be nice to see more apartments / penthouse designs which often have a focus on square foot and optimizing space.

I know what I'd like to see LESS of, and that's blatant spamming by tradespeople over all the posts. I get that people have a business to run, but it has become excessive and has put me off this website. I'm excluding the regulars who also offer their help from this criticism.
  • Jan Johnson
    7 years ago

Enjoying, keep up the good work everyone. "Budget" is the overused word. All home renovation is expensive. most people take out a 2nd morgage to cover it. 10 years down the track I am still employing professionals to help me. Ha!

• Andrew Veail
    7 years ago

I'd love to read more about the materials used to build places, for example if a house was built using a rammed earth wall or a high tech prefab using waste wood based insulation I want to know that. I suppose calling them "grand designs" style articles would be accurate!

• Lauren
    7 years ago

I can't help but speculate that perhaps the reason so many houses featured are London based or more high-end properties is because most of the case studies are uploaded by architecture or design professionals who employ professional photographers to show off the finished results.

These services aren't cheap and I don't imagine these companies get too many requests from owners of smaller 30's - 70's era homes, especially from outside the capital, because the homeowners won't see a return on the investment.

I would have thought requesting design-savvy home owners load more of their own photo's would help bridge the gap. Perhaps on the next newsletter you can ask homeowners to consider contributing any photos of spaces they are particularly proud of?

• twamleyk
    7 years ago
    Agree with much of above, particularly specific budgets.mi would also like more small scale articles, like on 'styling' eg cushions on a sofa, coffee tables, book cases. I love house tours too, so please keep this up. Thanks!
  • User
    7 years ago

I'd like to see more things aimed at students possibly. Popular terms and keywords and the definitions and example rooms. More rooms that reflect feeling not just categorised styles. And more rooms renovated that are in old and odd properties like odd shaped maisonettes with unusually low ceilings and odd room shapes not just perfect large box shaped rooms with high ceilings.

• User
    7 years ago

And more upcycled or reworked and recycled items and furniture not just designer or brand new. Stuff that was already in a property or room that the designer has reused in their interior

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.