ashmanrobert

What colour windows?

Robert
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am having great difficulty in deciding what colour windows and doors to put on my red brick 1980's terrace. Currently the windows are chocolate brown!

I am thinking of possibly French grey or anthracite grey but would greatly appreciate any input. Many Robert (attached is a picture of the house)

Comments (38)

• PRO
    Croydon Window Company Ltd
    7 years ago

Hi Robert, Antracite grey would modernise your home...

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago
    Hi Robert. What are the other houses around yours? It looks like there may all be the same? Are you changing the front door? There's a few things to consider when choosing to make such a large change. It's costly and obviously hard to change back if you don't like it.
    Why are you changing them? Is it because you don't like them or do they need replacing? Thanks, Gina
  • Related Discussions

What colour windows?

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi there, I am hoping to complete on the purchase of this bungalow at the end of the month. It is a bit of a project, not least making it a bit prettier on the outside! I am planning on having the render painted white and I had set my heart on dark grey windows (being sprayed as I can't afford to replace). However, the more I look at all the colours on the RAL website (and because the windows are not very big) I am wondering if a paler colour would look better. I'm also thinking that I'll spray the door a different colour to the windows (so many options!) What does everyone think?
    ...See More

What colour windows and garage door?

Q

Comments (2)
    I think that green-grey colour would look good, Please have a look at some of our case studies on our site to see if you can get any inspiration: http://bit.ly/windows-case-studies
    ...See More

What colour windows should I go for?

Q

Comments (6)
    My sister changed hers to grey (anthracite?) and she has a honey yellow brick like yours and it looks good. A house opposite to Her has gone with sage green and that looks good too. Black looks very effective with industrial style buildings, but I wonder if it’s too near a shade to the rosewood? It does look amazing though! I’ve found a few pics on Pinterest for you. I must admit my favourite is the first green one 😊
    ...See More

What colour windows?

Q

Comments (7)
    I actually really like it as it is. It's one of those situations where you could regret chaining it so it needs some serious thought. If the windows are in really good condition then are you planning on just planting them or totally replacing them? White or even off white windows I feel work less well than the colour you have now. If you were to change both then you could go for a very pale stone coloured render with slightly darker windows. I have seen this on lots of similar houses in Essex villages not far from here. Personally I love a dirty pinky brown on houses like this, which would also work with your current window colour.
    ...See More
  • Robert
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi Gina, The other houses have the same colour windows and doors in brown, which looks very dark and dated. To be honest I would rather not pay a lot of money to have the same thing.

I am intending to get two new Solidor doors as the existing ones are only single glazed and falling to bits. The windows have also seen better days! Some have misted up and all are very draughty.

So anything will be a vast improvement.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

Hi Robert, Depending on yur location we would be happy to help you, and we also do Solidor as per image?

• PRO
    7 years ago

Hi Robert, just to show you an example of a recent installation of a house update similar to your colours but in Rosewood UPVC, and Solidor, the house is located in an area where all houses are not allowed to change the colour of the window frames and have to be the same as the others...

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago
    Hi Robert. Yes I understand the old fashioned look. If you want to change it to look different on the street then I think the Antracite grey would be a nice modern look which isn't really stand out like white. It should work well with the brick and goes with many different door colours although I would probably stick with a grey there too.
  • Joanna C
    7 years ago
    I think grey windows would look that grey with the brickwork. I'd stick to brown windows as the house is quite an 80's classic unless you want to change it completely, i.e. Grey windows + render + roof.
  • poppycat01
    7 years ago
    Hi Robert
    We recently had the same dilemma - stick to brown or change to grey. We decided on sticking to brown to in keep with the other houses but we are also in a rural village so I think it would be a bit too modern.
    I notice your soffits, fascias and guttering are all brown so would you also be prepared to change them as I don't think they would go with grey windows in my opinion. Have you considered black windows? I think black would look more modern but without standing out too much and you could keep your existing soffits/fascia etc. I know how hard a decision it is!!
  • Juliet Docherty
    7 years ago

Hi Kevin, we live in a house of a similar era and had the same issue. We were recommended anthracite grey but we felt it is a bit overdone where we live. We didn't see any point in replacing with the same colour so opted for new timber windows finished in Farrow and Ball light grey. We also got rid of the old bay window as it looked fussy. Excuse the mess, it's a big renovation project.

• Tracey Robertson
    7 years ago

I absolutely did NOT want white upvc. husband didn't want timber because of the maintenance. prices of alu-clad timber was extortionate. SO after 3 years of looking, we found Choices Windows. They do LOTS of ranges but the one we chose was Residence 9. It looks like old fashioned casement (flush on outside) which suited out 1930s semi, has engineered joints, quality locking system & is VERY secure. It comes in about 10 different colours foiled finish which looks like wood. We chose silvered oak & they looked like they had been there for years from day one. So effective that I STILL get door knocking window salesmen who stand next to them & can't see that they are new & not old wood. You can choose glass thickness (so we chose 4mm internal & 6mm external as live on a main road & the sound proofing (not to mention the improved draught-proof & heat retention) is amazing - can't hear the road at all. Highly recommend. We were able to go direct but usually you would use a local supplier/installer. Just a note we had 2 large bays & patio doors as well as smaller units they CANNOT be installed by a normal window fitter as they come as sealed units (can't be taken apart unless you know how) & are VERY heavy. Good luck!

Pic above - not brilliant, sorry - front door NOT done yet, that's an original I'm trying hard to retain. Inside the windows is

a white foiled finish - again you can choose.

• craftycountess
    7 years ago

There is a development near me that have these brown windows and I agree that they are very dull. However, where people have changed them (white) they stand out but not in a good way. As you are attached I think you should go for a dark colour like graphite/anthracite but have the white inside. I would also go for the same colour door.

• Frances Lawrence
    7 years ago

We recently completely changed the front of our 50's house and put in anthracite grey windows which are wonderful but they're a lot bigger than yours. You have brown guttering, soffits and fascias and grey is going to look wrong. Be careful of appearing too dark by having the same colour door, also as someone has already said it is going to be costly.

• maggieandrichard
    7 years ago
    I've got dark grey but my property is painted white - I don't know what it would like on red brick. One thing I would say, unless you like dark colours, is whatever you choose, have the inside white as dark coloured window frames inside seem to suck all the light out of a room.
  • nabela_bhatti
    7 years ago
    We have the same dilemma, with brown windows. We are one of three houses all with the same look, so worried it will stand out oddly.

We also have internal wooden beams to add to it. We are thinking of anthracite grey externally and white internally.

A very expensive option though as it means changing faschias, garage doors etc. Tough decision!
  • Taz
    7 years ago

Another reason for white was the decor inside. You don't want it too dark. But we wanted some detail on the window. Look at the window of the neighbouring property in the pic above. We wanted to avoid the plain 'industrial unit window' look.

• D R
    7 years ago

Is it possible for upvc window frames, facias, gutterings, etc to be painted effectively?

• Lynn
    7 years ago

I had the same dilemma with a very similar house. I went for the anthracite and have not regretted it. The gutters etc are going to be changed when (if) better weather comes.

• Taz
    7 years ago

@D R,

Not sure if uPVC fascias can be painted effectively. I can't imagine there'd be anything effective considering it would need to face the elements but I may be wrong - think Google may be your friend. Our fascia is wood.

• Nate218
    7 years ago

I have successfully painted uPVC windows with a product called Zinsser AllCoat Exterior in satin. It is an absolutely amazing product. Covered the frames with just one coat, and it still allows the wood grain to show through. We had dark brown frames with red brick (just like you) and we changed them to black. It looks extremely smart. I also painted the metal garage door with the same paint, with the same level of success. I can't rate the product high enough. It is also available tinted to any colour in satin, matt and gloss. Contact your local paint shop, who will be able to source it for you if they don't stock it already.

• poppycat01
    7 years ago
    Nate128 do you have before and after photos of your windows as I'd love to see! Have similar dialemma
  • Nate218
    7 years ago

poppycat01 here's a couple...

And this is the product I used: http://www.zinsseruk.com/product/allcoat-exterior/

• Robert
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you all very much for your input and time it is very much appreciated.

I am intending on painting the fascia board the same colour as the windows and replacing the gutter/ downpipe with a black version. Probably leaning more towards the anthracite grey now, as it will be a similar tone to the brown and hopefully won't be too much of a contrast to the neighbours.
  • mboerner
    7 years ago

Black is always elegant. White, not so much.

• Christine Naylor
    7 years ago
    Hi,

We have a similar dilemma, just about to purchase windows for a refurbished bungalow. All houses on our road have white upvc, we really wanted grey, but after many changes of mind, are going to stick with white. Mainly because we thought it might make the interior look dark. I agree with Tracey Robertson flush windows, Residence 9, would look great. Saw some this morning, but been told they are 50% more than standard style, so now have to check prices.

Chris
  • Robert
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi chris, It is possible to get Upvc windows with white on the inside and a different colour on the outside.
  • Daisy England
    7 years ago
    Yes. You can have white on the inside and a different colour on the outside. Many do.
  • Tracey Robertson
    7 years ago

@christine naylor - yes they are more expensive BUT I believe they are worth every penny - the thermal qualities & the sound proofing are superb. Try a different supplier maybe for a comparison price? Originally we went direct (but then had to find someone with the experience to fit them as they come glazed (not in bits) & are VERY heavy! The second lot we wanted (had to save up!) we went to a local window company & the price was ridiculous, so we went back direct. If you ring CWG in Corby they've always been very helpful.

• Tracey Robertson
    7 years ago

@robert - our residence 9 are white (grained)inside & silver oak outside - many options on colourways. But I suppose that's easy cos they are made, then foiled. Maybe not so easy with standard upvc. I really don't know. But any decent window firm should be able to tell you.

• PRO
    Wood Window Alliance
    7 years ago

It's an interesting house. My advice is: stick to the original - and use wood, not plastic. It looks and feels much better and will last longer. The colour should be dictated by what the house had originally.

• Robert
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    To be honest I don't really want the extra work/expense of having to maintain wooden windows. The old windows have bowed so much and are very draughty. So will be a relief to just have an airtight house!
  • Tracey Robertson
    7 years ago

@robert - that's why we LOVE our residence 9. I didn't want plastic - eco reasons & all that - but in the end practicality won. But they look just like wood - even pretty close up!

• Robert
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Tracey, do you know how the price compares on residence 9 to a mid range upvc (rehab/ kommerling)window please? As I am very impressed with yours they look great!
  • Tracey Robertson
    7 years ago

@robert - they aren't 'cheap'! and as I said in a previous post, it does depend on the mark up put on by the supplier / fitter. I'm afraid I haven't experience of the 2 makes you mention, so couldn't compare. We bought direct, then paid fitters separately as a price we got for a local company to do it all (who are an approved supplier / fitter by CWG) was eye watering! - but it would be best to get someone who DEFINITELY has fitted them before because they are not 'ordinary' windows. VERY heavy. CWG choices in Corby should be able to help you. What I will do is send a copy of this post to the contact I have there & see if he can add anything to this thread.

• Tracey Robertson
    7 years ago

@robert, I contacted a chap called Nick Rudd at CWG (Choices windows). He said they do kommerling too & the residence 9 works out about 40% dearer. If you are interested at all, he said please do email (nick.rudd@yahoo.co.uk) or call him 07703 193583 . The reason it isn't as corporate email & a mobile not an office line is cos he works between offices & is out a lot, so its just easier that way. They are a 'proper' firm, I promise! Good luck. I know Nick will help if he at all can.

• errai
    7 years ago

We live in a 1980s brick house which had dated brown plastic doors and windows. We went for anthracite windows and an anthracite Solidor similar to the one posted above, plus matching drainpipes etc. Our house stands out from the rest of the street now, but in a good way (makes the rest look even more dated). We had the porch rendered grey to modernise it even more.

• PRO
    HBD Systems
    7 years ago

Hi Robert,

I would also choose Anthracite Grey windows, they give a clean modern feel to any home!

• tjames63
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Anthracite grey is certainly the popular mainstream contemporary option but mid grey is the shade the architects are already adopting as their colour of choice now . Antracite can make the house look darker . It works best on a white render . My suggestion would be a cool mid to light mid grey but if you opt for Anthracite personally I’d go for a white soffit . Good luck

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.