dawnlouise345

Problem Conifer - 13 metres high

dawnlouise345
6 years ago

We don’t know what to do for the best; any advice would be gratefully received.

Ignore the temporary rockery in front of the tree, we quickly created that to store moved rockery stone and soil and also to plant out seedlings that we had cultivated during the winter in the greenhouse. We didn’t want to dispose of them after tending them for so long.

The tree is a good looking specimen (even though it consists of two thick trunks from ground level up) and it’s a haven for the birds. The trees to the right and left of our conifer belong to neighbours.

There is a 3 ft high, dry stone wall (ours) behind the tree which is collapsing. The area beyond that, (not ours) is an eyesore that I can do nothing about.

The tree serves a purpose in blocking out the eyesore beyond, but it also blocks out a great deal of sunlight into our garden too. And it is taking up 3 metres of the garden space from the bottom wall into the lawn.

Options we’ve considered are;

(A) Completely remove the tree and replace the 3 ft high collapsing dry stone wall with 8 foot high concrete pillars and plinths, then plant evergreens (possibly pleached) against it to extend higher than 8 foot high to block the eyesore view from our bedroom window.

(B) Lollipop the tree so we can get under it (getting our 3 metres back) then fix the dry stone wall, then take some off both the tree tops so that the sun can get onto the garden but we don’t see the eyesore from upstairs. But we’re not sure what effect that will have on the tree. I expect it would be like nipping the growing tip off a plant? (2 plants?)

Any other ideas anyone?

Any ideas/advice will be warmly welcomed.

Thanks and Best Regards

Adria

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.